Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

We are a fairly crunchy family who eats well and takes good care of our bodies, including getting plenty of exercise and lots of sleep. As such, our family is fairly healthy (knock on wood). I also travel during the summer months since there's fewer bugs going around.

But if I were traveling during peak stomach bug season, you bet I'd use hand sanitizer (that would kill norovirus) and wipe down the room a bit, and I'd do it without feeling one ounce of shame or guilt that I was being labeled a germaphobe. Sorry, but I'm not interested in not getting every single penny of enjoyment out of a $9k vacation. A stomach bug generally wipes my entire family out for an entire week since everyone generally gets sick at staggered times, and I'd rather not deal with being regretful that I didn't take a few minutes to take precautions to keep my family as healthy as possible while taking an expensive vacation.

I don't practice this kind of sanitized lifestyle at home, but I certainly am more cautious while on vacation.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #32
GaudenziGirls
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the info. My daughter has cystic fibrosis and we just got back from WDW where she ended up catching pseudomonas and now is in hospital hooked up to all sorts of Iv's! We never leave the house with out Sani wipes and any info on sanitation is def. appreciated
GaudenziGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #33
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Beware of remote control and door knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
After seeing the youtube video of the kid with the remote in his bare butt checks trying to change the tv channel you would think twice about where that remote you are holding has been. I always put my remote in a ziplock bag.
So that's how fecal bacteria gets on the remote control! I always wonder since studies were released which reported that the TV remote control and door knob where the most contaminated spots in hotel rooms.

The fecal bateria from the remote control won't hurt you if it gets on your hands, but reach into a bag of chips and now it is in you mouth.

-Paul
pjacobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
So that's how fecal bacteria gets on the remote control! I always wonder since studies were released which reported that the TV remote control and door knob where the most contaminated spots in hotel rooms.

The fecal bateria from the remote control won't hurt you if it gets on your hands, but reach into a bag of chips and now it is in you mouth.

-Paul
Uh, hopefully people putting remote controls up their you-know-whats isn't as widespread as YouTube would make it appear.

Fecal material can be on toilets, airborne, and around the bathroom, and, most often on hands that aren't washed thoroughly (or are washed thoroughly, but then touch the sink knobs that were touched when the hands were dirty). It gets on things like remotes and doorknobs from people then picking those things up with contaminated hands.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I would assume most people wash their hands and practice good hygiene.
Then you obviously haven't observed a public restroom recently. I'm appalled at the number of men I see go in a BR, use the facilities, and walk right back out. I mean, geez, neanderthals or what?

I'm no germophobe, but when we stay at an SSR suite with washer/dryer the washer gets a first run with a load of hot water and bleach before it ever touches my clothes.

My mom was (and, in all honesty, still is) what most would consider obsessive about cleanliness in general (and hotels in particular). When I was a kid, she was meticulous about cleaning phones, bathrooms, and inspecting the beds. Drove my dad nuts. She always took a can of lysol and did her own cleaning bit anytime we went on a trip. Back then, it seemed over the top. These days, with bedbugs and all manner of nasti virii coming from all corners of the world, she's looking more like a visionary. And she takes no small delight in hearing all the cleaning steps people are advised to take that she did for years, and caught more than a little flack for it.

I'm nowhere near as careful as she is, but she's put a good, healthy dose of caution in me, and a few minutes due diligence in setting up my hotel room and in my day-to-day practice in a place like an amusement park allows me to relax and enjoy the vacation.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: