Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
kami808
Earning My Ears

Does anyone worry about getting your stroller stolen?

We took DS in a stroller 3 years ago and of course everything was fine, but seeing all those strollers everywhere made me wonder how often this happens. It seems so easy for someone to just grab any of the dozens of strollers around the park in the stroller parking areas. Has this ever happened to anyone? We'd like to be able to leave things in the bottom basket but i'll admit i'm a little paranoid about things getting stolen out of the basket or the entire stroller being stolen.

My Disney experience:
October 1991 - Disneyland (1st Disney experience for 10th birthday) * July 1994 - Disneyworld (1st trip to WDW at 13 for brother's honeymoon :D) * December 1996 - Disneyworld (trip w/high school band) * December 2006 - Disneyland (late honeymoon) - Travelodge Anaheim * May 2007 - Disneyland (me and DH just for fun for 6-month anniversary) * February 2010 - Disneyland (DS' 1st trip at 2 1/2) - Anaheim Fairfield * November 2011 - Disneyland (5th wedding anniversary) - Park Vue Inn * April 2013 - Disneyland (1st trip for DD at 2 1/2, 2nd for DS at 5) - HoJo!

kami808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

I have heard about the rental strollers being hijacked, but not personal ones.

I plan on bringing a bike lock to put through the tires on mine if we will be leaving it for longer than 5 minutes. It's a double Chariot and my camera bag will be in it. I'm not chancing it like I would with an umbrella stroller.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaCta View Post

I plan on bringing a bike lock to put through the tires on mine if we will be leaving it for longer than 5 minutes. It's a double Chariot and my camera bag will be in it. I'm not chancing it like I would with an umbrella stroller.
Don't leave anything in your stroller that would upset you if it got snagged by a thief. That camera bag could be extra tempting.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
AZlady
DIS Veteran

That's funny you said that- I was there last week and while eating a meal( looking out at 100 strollers)..looked over to my DD13 and asked "which one of these strollers do you want to take?"
I was obviously kidding, but was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
kami808
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
That's funny you said that- I was there last week and while eating a meal( looking out at 100 strollers)..looked over to my DD13 and asked "which one of these strollers do you want to take?"
I was obviously kidding, but was thinking the same thing.
I was thinking that too last time we were there. I thought, wow, I could get a free stroller here if I was an awful person. Of course i'd never do that but it would be so easy.

My Disney experience:
October 1991 - Disneyland (1st Disney experience for 10th birthday) * July 1994 - Disneyworld (1st trip to WDW at 13 for brother's honeymoon :D) * December 1996 - Disneyworld (trip w/high school band) * December 2006 - Disneyland (late honeymoon) - Travelodge Anaheim * May 2007 - Disneyland (me and DH just for fun for 6-month anniversary) * February 2010 - Disneyland (DS' 1st trip at 2 1/2) - Anaheim Fairfield * November 2011 - Disneyland (5th wedding anniversary) - Park Vue Inn * April 2013 - Disneyland (1st trip for DD at 2 1/2, 2nd for DS at 5) - HoJo!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

I worried about it before and read lots of threads. We brought a decent (though not expensive or new) double jogger and marked it (with signs) as ours. We never left anything in it that would completely ruin our trip if we lost it, (though losing the stroller would have been an issue) but we left tons of food, extra clothes, etc. It actually looked pretty trashy by the end of each day. But no one ever messed with it and it was so fabulous to have it! I saw tons of nice(r than ours) strollers there.

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
kami808
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaCta View Post

That's a good idea. Maybe i'll do that too.

My Disney experience:

Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

We always use our double stroller and leave it where ever and for long periods of time. However we never leave anything in it of value. Last summer my Little ones made me buy one of those fan water sprays. And sure enough that was taken from the stroller. However we told one of the cast member and they got us a new one.
imlsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

We have been twice to DL and once to WDW with our own strollers. We brought our Macclaren Twin twice and our Peg Perego Pliko3 once. We have never had anything stollen or gone missing from them. We have left things in there while we are on rides too! (Nothing of real value: sweatshirts, hats, sunscreen). I have never heard of stroller stealing going rampart there. My SIL goes all the time with a stroller and she has never had a problem. I suppose anything can happen though. I wouldn't, personally, want to deal with a lock. We move around too much. ALso, you can't lock them to anything in the park, just lock it to itself. I feel like it is more of a pain then it is worth. Also the CM move them around a LOT. So you would have to lock it in a way that they can still move it. Ours got moved several times.

This visit will be our last with a stroller. If someone steals it then I guess I have one less thing to fly back to Maine!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

Regarding the bike lock, I thought I read a thread once about strollers locked at DL. Something about how the CMs are constantly organizing and moving them to the correct areas (as part of their job) and if it is locked to something or difficult to move, they don't like it. Anyone remember something about that?
edit: I guess wallawallakids answered my question while I was writing it.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

I was concerned

I had read a thread about strollers and or bags being stolen before our trip.
I carried a Lesporrtsac with me that held my valuables (wallet, iphone, small P&S camera etc.). I left my new Lesportsac Mickey & Minnie print diaper bag on the stroller along with a small soft-sided cooler. We used a laptop cable lock to secure these to the stroller by threading it through the straps of the bags. When we parked the stroller DH put the cable through one of the wheels of the stroller. If a CM needed to move the stroller, which happens sometimes, it could be moved. If a thief wanted to take our stuff they would have had to cut the straps or the cable so that made me feel better.
Nothing is foolproof but at least this was a deterrent to a casual thief. At least that is what I tell myself.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

locks

Yes I had also read that you couldn't lock your stroller to something. We just ran our lock through a back wheel. It could be moved a short distance without much trouble but would look strange if someone was trying to push it all over the park by the front wheels. I have to say I found stroller parking much easier at DLR that an WDW.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
CrAzY4DL
Mommy, you magic-ed my heart!

A friend of mine went to DL last week (our Spring Break) and had her stroller stolen. I don't know what kind but it was probably a double stroller as she has 2 kids under 4. Boo!

JylBean's Super Surprise almost 4 years old trip
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392268

DH & I private DL party
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3056896
CrAzY4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
zoeandjacks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY4DL View Post
A friend of mine went to DL last week (our Spring Break) and had her stroller stolen. I don't know what kind but it was probably a double stroller as she has 2 kids under 4. Boo!
I have heard that most of the time when people think their stroller is stolen, it ends up being that a CM moved it and they can't find it or someone thought it was theirs and then later realized it wasn't and leaves it somewhere else within the park. I read somewhere that there are hundreds of strollers like this at DL somewhere, that people think were stolen and were just misplaced. Not saying that your friend's wasn't legitimately stolen, but there could be (hopefully?) another explanation.

FWIW, we left our double BOB jogger (a pretty expensive stroller, but by no means the MOST expensive out there) for hours sometimes and no one ever bothered it. I recommend getting a balloon to tie to it, makes it easier to find and to glance over sometimes and see if it is still there.

WDW Christmas Vacation 1992
DL 1998,1999, 2002, DCA Christmas 2002, DL/DCA Christmas 2004, DL/DCA March 2013.

Next trip: DL/DCA 11/29-12/4/2013 for DS's 7th birthday!!!
zoeandjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

There have been several occasions discussed here on DIS I'm which strollers have been stolen, pillaged, and abandoned elsewhere in the park, as well as just straight out stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaCta

Just be aware that cannot make your stroller such that CMs can't move it.

As for your camera bag, there is no way I would leave it in your stroller unattended. No one is assigned to "babysit" strollers and they are the perfect target for someone looking for unattended items.

If you wouldn't leave it in a backpack sitting on the ground at the entrance to a ride, why would you leave it unattended in a stroller? It's just waiting to be taken.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: