Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Where to Stay?!

I am having a lot of difficulty deciding where to stay for this trip. We are planning on doing a split stay with the first part of the trip just being my mom and I (don't know where we are staying for this part) and the second part of the trip the whole family will be joining us and we will be staying at AKL. With the exception of a trip with my friends at CSR, we have only stayed at deluxe resorts since I was little. We enjoy the easy transportation/proximity to the parks, added amenities, dining options, etc. That being said we are debating whether we should stay at a deluxe or moderate for the first half. We tend to have TS breakfasts at various deluxe resorts/pre-park breakfasts and TS dinners at various deluxe resorts. Typically, these resorts are the monorail resort.

Our travel dates are approaching so these are the resort options available:

Grand Floridian: $397.50 per night
Poly: $449.25 per night
Boardwalk: $271.05 per night
Beach Club: $264.55 per night
Wilderness Lodge: $271.05 per night

POFQ: $178.60 per night
POR: $161 per night
CSR: $135.10 per night

I like the idea of the Wilderness Lodge since it would be easy to get to the monorail resorts/MK. However, one of the reasons that we wanted to do a split stay was so we could experience different resorts in one trip. While I know that they have different themes, the Wilderness seems like it would be pretty similar to AKL. Do you think this is true?

Regarding the Boardwalk and Beach Club, I know we would be close to Epcot and HS but we would still want to go to MK resort area. Would that be that big of a deal?

I have been dying to stay at the Poly but I'm not sure it is worth it for $450 per night. Do you think it is worth the extra convenience/ money to stay at the deluxes? Is there a big difference between them and the moderates? Based on what I told you, which resort would you suggest we stay at?!

I'm sorry for all of these question but I really appreciate any suggestions that you have.

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

if MK is your resort of choice - why did you not price CR?

you can walk to the MK from it.

don't like the GF and the Polyn is too expensive. WL is alot like AKL.

so despite being bus transportation only to the MK - woukd go with BC - it is a beautifully resort and that price is great.

that say would plan more on Epcot and Studios than the MK. being able to walk or boat to those parks is a big benefit.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

My thoughts..

I don't think AKL and WL are the same at all - same price point - but location/theming are completely different. If the theming interests you - then i would consider that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly - but I wouldn't pay $450 a night to stay there - not in a million years.

BC/BW - you are only a bus ride/monorail ride away from the MK area - you will get to experience an entirely different type of resort from AKL - but you CS options at the resorts themselves are not fantastic.

For a resort that is Deluxe that is A. close to MK - B. completely different feel than AKL and C. has nice dining options...have you considered the Contemporary?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
if MK is your resort of choice - why did you not price CR?

you can walk to the MK from it.

don't like the GF and the Polyn is too expensive. WL is alot like AKL.

so despite being bus transportation only to the MK - woukd go with BC - it is a beautifully resort and that price is great.

that say would plan more on Epcot and Studios than the MK. being able to walk or boat to those parks is a big benefit.
We will probably be spending an equal amount of time in both MK and Epcot; however, the draw to the MK is some of the restaurants. We have stayed at the Contemporary many times and absolutely love it. For our dates, the only room that is still available is $650 per night and we wouldn't pay that much. Is there a reason would choose BC over Boardwalk? Being able to walk to both HS and Epcot is a definite plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
My thoughts..

I don't think AKL and WL are the same at all - same price point - but location/theming are completely different. If the theming interests you - then i would consider that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly - but I wouldn't pay $450 a night to stay there - not in a million years.

BC/BW - you are only a bus ride/monorail ride away from the MK area - you will get to experience an entirely different type of resort from AKL - but you CS options at the resorts themselves are not fantastic.

For a resort that is Deluxe that is A. close to MK - B. completely different feel than AKL and C. has nice dining options...have you considered the Contemporary?
I understand that AKL and WL are different because of location but they both have a rustic feel.

Do you have an opinion between BC and BW?

We have stayed at the Contemporary many times and definitely would stay there again. However, the only room available for our dates is $650 per night and I wouldn't pay that much to stay there.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised that bc is cheaper than WL. I'd go with BC. If you decide on a moderate, our fav is POR.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I prefer BWI to BC.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I'm surprised that bc is cheaper than WL. I'd go with BC. If you decide on a moderate, our fav is POR.
I was shocked as well but I'll take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I prefer BWI to BC.
Is there are particular reason why you would pick BWI over BC or does the look just appeal to you more?

Here is another possibility... I have been dying to stay at the Poly. For our first night they have a room available for $363 and then we would switch over to another resort (I'm leaning toward BWI or BC but again not sure). Is it crazy to do a one night split stay? Has only done this? If we did this it would be one night at the Poly and then many nights (4) at the BWI or BC.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabzee View Post

I was shocked as well but I'll take it!

Is there are particular reason why you would pick BWI over BC or does the look just appeal to you more?.
BC rooms only have full balconies on 50% of their rooms. One stay without a balcony should have been enough but I have been stuck with it twice now! Also it's noisier there. BWI is more adult feeling. I've stayed at both last year.

BWI is my favorite deluxe resort.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

BC is closer to Epcot and at my age that is a big one. Now own at BWV - but still prefer BC. It to me has a friendly atmosphere.

love Cape May Cafe and Beaches & Cream - the only quick service is the marketplace (gift shop) and Hurricane Hanna's Grill

all are good

bc w/yc i think still has a tour of its garden for free - it was fun!

if you go with bc - remember going to Epcot - go under the bridge - it is slightly quicker than going over the bridge.

more room in their public area to relax - although with bc converting some of it - not sure now.

now love BWV for standard views (cheaper) - but inside of BWV there is no place to eat. Now for quick service here it is belle vue lounge in BWI,
the pool bar (outside), broadwalk bakery (it is closed for remodeling), broadwalk pizza window - well allergic to goat cheese so most pizza are out for me.

also for some unknown reason - BWV was designed long - but all the elevators are at one place - so this to me is also a negative - now do use the steps there - you have too - or you will spend an hour a day just going back and forth to the elevators.

my big one - learned to hate that clown in the swimming pool - got one of the rooms that looked directly at - it was the 5th time this happened to me - starting having nightmares about the thing.

since then have ALWAYS stayed standard view or a couple of times BW view - will never again do the pool/garden view - can't stand that clown.

is that enough - can go on....

Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
BC is closer to Epcot and at my age that is a big one. Now own at BWV - but still prefer BC. It to me has a friendly atmosphere.

love Cape May Cafe and Beaches & Cream - the only quick service is the marketplace (gift shop) and Hurricane Hanna's Grill

all are good

bc w/yc i think still has a tour of its garden for free - it was fun!

if you go with bc - remember going to Epcot - go under the bridge - it is slightly quicker than going over the bridge.

more room in their public area to relax - although with bc converting some of it - not sure now.

now love BWV for standard views (cheaper) - but inside of BWV there is no place to eat. Now for quick service here it is belle vue lounge in BWI,
the pool bar (outside), broadwalk bakery (it is closed for remodeling), broadwalk pizza window - well allergic to goat cheese so most pizza are out for me.

also for some unknown reason - BWV was designed long - but all the elevators are at one place - so this to me is also a negative - now do use the steps there - you have too - or you will spend an hour a day just going back and forth to the elevators.

my big one - learned to hate that clown in the swimming pool - got one of the rooms that looked directly at - it was the 5th time this happened to me - starting having nightmares about the thing.

since then have ALWAYS stayed standard view or a couple of times BW view - will never again do the pool/garden view - can't stand that clown.

is that enough - can go on....
haha... yes, thank you! We would have a standard view if we stayed there. I'm not a huge fan of the clown pool either. Thanks for the insight!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Here is another possibility... I have been dying to stay at the Poly. For our first night they have a room available for $363 and then we would switch over to another resort (I'm leaning toward BWI or BC but again not sure). Is it crazy to do a one night split stay? Has anyone done this? If we did this it would be one night at the Poly and then many nights (4) at the BWI or BC. We would visit the Poly for a TS meal regardless of our stay. Not sure if we should wait to stay there or just get a taste now.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
clapton
Mouseketeer

Would pick BC over BWV for theme, atmosphere and pool. Not a Poly fan and would definitely not pay that price to stay there!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

have done it - but generally do the one night at the end of the trip not the beginning.

the luggage will it all be with you - or will you have a car?

well does not really matter -- put enough for your one night in a separate bag - so you have everything you need for that night. next morning put in a backpack everything you might need for that day - you might get in your new room early or as late as 3pm or even later - so any med, sunglasses, sun screen, swimming suites, anything - that you might need take with you.

then tell bell services you are leaving and where to deliver your luggages - then either go to the resort to check in - or go to the park - then check in later that day or when your back start hurting from the back pack....

but that might be the best way to get Polyn - it kepts going up every year - so until DVC is there - can't afford to stay again.

you can check in at 6:30am if you want too - but don't think you will want to leave Polyn....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: