Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
heather4507
Earning My Ears

Best way to tackle magic kingdom?

This is our first time going to disney and we plan to visit MK 2 days .. tuesday and friday... I am clueless! I read read read and would like to know what you think the best way to tackle the days are. We are trying to make the most out of going. We have a 2 and 6 year old.. I have read head straight for fantasy land... any other suggestions?
heather4507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Meekogsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather4507 View Post
This is our first time going to disney and we plan to visit MK 2 days .. tuesday and friday... I am clueless! I read read read and would like to know what you think the best way to tackle the days are. We are trying to make the most out of going. We have a 2 and 6 year old.. I have read head straight for fantasy land... any other suggestions?
Yes, hit Fantasyland first. The lines of strollers can get long by mid morning which means lots of little ones. Don't stop to take pics in front of the castle when you walk in. the castle will be there all day
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

We never hit Fantasy Land first. We usually head right to Frontierland--get on Thunder Mountain. Sometimes we hit SplashMountain as well but sometimes it's chilly in the morning. So we might skip over to Adventureland afterwards, sometimes Fantasy Land. Every trip seems to be different for us for whatever reason.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
jana616
DIS Veteran

With kids your age, definitely head to Fantasyland first on your first day. Your littlest will be too small for all the thrill rides, and both your kids will love the rides in FL. We haven't been since last June, so I know that ETWB, Dumbo, and Little Mermaid are different now, so my advice is probably outdated...but Peter Pan, Pooh, and Tomorrowland Speedway are ones we try to hit early or with FP (for Pan and Pooh). We've been when my kids were 19 months, 26 months, 4,5, and 7, and they have loved the Speedway at all of those ages, and the line gets very backed up and very hot quickly, so we do it early. If you're interested in ETWB, everything I have read says to do that first, even though it eats up a good chunk of time, because the line gets close to an hour later. Make sure you get rider swap for all the thrill rides, if you're interested in them. Your 6 year old will get to ride twice that way

2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
jcano
Mouseketeer

We hit Peter Pan and pooh first. Done in under 10minutes. We do that each day to get those 2 rides in since they back up later in the day. With the ages of your children I would just continue on to the rest of FL and do dumbo and Ariel. You can then cut down to the speedway if your children will like that; my dd do not enjoy this ride. Then on to Buzz lightyear (may have to get a fast pass and come back). We hit space mountain and astro orbiter while we are there. By that time we normally need a snack/lunch and will get what we need. We then continue on the circle to magic carpet and pirates of the carribean. We continue the circle to splash mountain, thunder mountain and haunted mansion. That normally works for us.

I leave Its a small world, laugh factory, philharmagic, carrousel, tree house for later once the parks get more crowded.

I think on your second day you can decide better which rides your children really want to hit and set up a different game plan.

Hopefully this helps a little. This is what we have done for each of our last 4 trips and has worked well for the first day. May need to modifiy this a little with a 2 year old; depending on needed brakes. The second day at MK was more enjoyable as we had taken care of pretty much everything the first day.

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
beachclub1011
Earning My Ears

jcano has some great suggestions....to add to that I would say that if you are staying on Disney property that halfway in your day as the crowds reach their peak head back to your resort to get some lunch and a break...the little ones can enjoy the pool and cool off and mom and dad can "relax" a little bit (we're never relaxed haha). then head back after wards as the crowds calm down a little. this is what we have done in the past and seems to work. HAVE FUN!
beachclub1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Randomly, and slightly off topic but it ties in...

I wonder what percentage of the Disney Vacationing population the DIS and other like forums/well researched individuals make up in any given park on any given day...

The reason for my question is that it seems hitting Fantasyland first is no secret to us, so if nearly EVERYONE here is doing this, wouldn't it seem like this is no longer the thing one should do?!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

When going with small kids - Rope Drop - hop on the MK Rail Road, get off on the stop for Fantasy land/Circus area and check that out since all of you will be able to participate in that area. There is lots to do!

Take the RR back to Mainstreet or walk to the other lands. If you can spend two days at MK, do it. My family loved to do Commando and as I've frequented the parks more and more as an adult, I find it's stressing to run from one attraction to another.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
siskaren
DIS Veteran

The consensus these days is that the first thing to head for at MK is Enchanted Tales with Belle.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Good tips here and the fact that you have already set aside two days for MK is excellent. With kids that age there is no way to rush through MK. A well thought-out plan is a great idea, but take your time to stop & smell the roses. There's only one "first trip", slow down & savor it.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclub1011 View Post
jcano has some great suggestions....to add to that I would say that if you are staying on Disney property that halfway in your day as the crowds reach their peak head back to your resort to get some lunch and a break...the little ones can enjoy the pool and cool off and mom and dad can "relax" a little bit (we're never relaxed haha). then head back after wards as the crowds calm down a little. this is what we have done in the past and seems to work. HAVE FUN!
This is a definite for survival!!!

Make sure you get to the park for opening...you'll be able to get more done in the first 2 hours than you would ever be able to accomplish if you arrive after 11 a.m.
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
brownhaired_girl
Mouseketeer

My best suggestion would be to go to Josh's site Easywdw (its free). Look at the information on fastpasses. Print it off so you can read it more than once. Understand which fastpasses to get first and why. Josh explains this well. Josh also just had an article on doing the Magic Kingdon during spring break. These suggestions work for the rest of the year also. As someone else said take time to smell the roses. There is magic there if you take time to look for it.
brownhaired_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAKid View Post
Randomly, and slightly off topic but it ties in...

I wonder what percentage of the Disney Vacationing population the DIS and other like forums/well researched individuals make up in any given park on any given day...

The reason for my question is that it seems hitting Fantasyland first is no secret to us, so if nearly EVERYONE here is doing this, wouldn't it seem like this is no longer the thing one should do?!

One thing to remember is that lots of visitors have groups made up of different ages. Those with older kids (or no kids at all!) will not head straight to Fantasyland. Our group (all adults) often skips FL altogether.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
1osfan
Mouseketeer

My children were 6 and 2 the first time we went and I remember how many questions I had even after reading everything we could find. Some of the tips you have read here are great! We started in Fantasyland, used FP as much as possible, used rider swap as much as possible, and took midday breaks. A couple if things I will add: first, much will depend on your kids. Their gender, what they like (types of rides, characters, etc). If you have girls who love Belle, ETWB sounds like a must do at rope drop. But, if you have boys who have never seen Beauty and the Beast, you may be able to skip this and save some time. The characters they like will dictate some of your planning. For example, on our first trip, we waited an hour to meet Tinkerbell because she was DD's favorite. On other visits, she did not care about meeting her so we didn't waste that time in line. The second thing I would add is that the time of year you are going makes a big difference. The extreme heat and humidity of the summer may change your strategy compared to cooler times of year. The same can be said for the crowds.

Have fun!
1osfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
2manydaves
Mouseketeer

Since you've got two days, I don't think you have to skip around the park. I would suggest hitting Fantasyland first and saying there for the morning. You should be able to cover nearly all of it by lunch. Like others have said, prioritize Belle, Peter Pan and Pooh. Then I'd do Dumbo and Ariel, and the rest should be pretty easy,

On your second day, I'd hit Fantasyland highlights again and then Tomorrowland.

Your 6 year old will probably like Splash and BTMRR. You can fast pass and rider swap those.

Have fun! You kids are at great Disney ages.
2manydaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: