Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

I have a slight variation to the question that's being discussed here. How does the equation change when there are two kids? Older child will be nearly 3 for the trip, so will have her own seat. Debating a seat for the 11 month old. Cost isn't necessarily a consideration, I'm just trying to book what's most convenient. They initially told us they'd lap-hold both children, and didn't need tickets for either. We now understand the rules better, and know the 3 y/o needs her own seat. Is it better to lab hold the little one so all four can sit together in a 3-seat grouping, or spit them up across the aisle and have both kids with their own seats? We're flying Southwest and we will purchase the automatic check-in for them so they're guaranteed to board with the A group.
Please note buying EBCI does not guarantee you A boarding. Many people get B boarding. The family will be eligible for family boarding between the A & B group.

For an 11 month old and a short trip, I would fly the younger child as a lap baby. Be sure and bring the baby's birth certificate; WN will check it for a lap baby.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I have flown with both my children when they were 10 months. I had my DD as a lap baby until we hit the flight that was so turbulent they didn't serve drinks. I was a nervous wreck. After that, I only flew with my children in their own seat. They were safer. As for carrying the car seat, I wore it on my back with the back of the car seat against my back and my arms through the straps. The car seat needs to be installed in a window seat so as not to impede passengers getting in and out of the row.

The Baby Bjorn is a great trip. Babies get heavy waiting in those lines. We were lucky that our children would nap in the stroller. I learned a couple of great tips on here.

We brought a receiving blanket and wooden clothes pins and would pin the blanket on the stroller shade to shield the sun out.

We had a change of clothes and diapering items in a very large ziploc bag. That way we could just take the bag out when needed and they stayed dry in case of rain.

Have fun, I have fond memories of both of my children during their first trip to WDW at 10 months.

As earlier PP mentiond, EBCI does not guarantee you an A boarding position. But, the family should be eligible for family boarding unless they do away with it for the flight. Sometimes they do that if there are many toddlers/infants on board who would be eligible for family boarding.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
went503
DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
We're giving a Disney vacation as a gift to kids/grandkids, who are joining us for a week at Bay Lake Tower. This will be the first time the grandchildren have ever flown. Both mom and dad are seasoned business travellers, but have no experience with flying as a family. We'll be in Florida for an extra week before they join us, so won't be there to help at the airport or on the plane.

I have a slight variation to the question that's being discussed here. How does the equation change when there are two kids? Older child will be nearly 3 for the trip, so will have her own seat. Debating a seat for the 11 month old. Cost isn't necessarily a consideration, I'm just trying to book what's most convenient. They initially told us they'd lap-hold both children, and didn't need tickets for either. We now understand the rules better, and know the 3 y/o needs her own seat. Is it better to lab hold the little one so all four can sit together in a 3-seat grouping, or spit them up across the aisle and have both kids with their own seats? We're flying Southwest and we will purchase the automatic check-in for them so they're guaranteed to board with the A group.

Flying from Virginia, which is a two-hour direct flight to Orlando. Flight time is 1:00 pm, which is nap time for both kids. I think they're hoping both kids will zonk out for at least part of the trip.
We are from VA also right outside Winchester, VA. What airline you flying and out of which airport. We are flying jetblue out of DCA is a little further away from us but much cheaper.
BWV May'11
AKV Feb '12
BWV Sept '13

went503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #34
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by went503 View Post
We are from VA also right outside Winchester, VA. What airline you flying and out of which airport. We are flying jetblue out of DCA is a little further away from us but much cheaper.
SWA out of Norfolk
Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

I would say it depends on the children I went with a lap and a seat with my will be 17mo and my turning 3 I think it will work out best if they are across the aisle they will yell to each other and will want to play together they also can watch the same video player if they are seated together.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #36
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

Thank you all for the very valuable information. I am planning a trip for our family next March with my new little GD and did not think a seat was needed. Very eye opening and scary that I could have planned not to buy her a seat. What was I thinking.
Alice Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #37
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Sr. View Post
Thank you all for the very valuable information. I am planning a trip for our family next March with my new little GD and did not think a seat was needed. Very eye opening and scary that I could have planned not to buy her a seat. What was I thinking.
Oh, don't worry about that!!! We've all been there, done that!!
Funny, but sad, story?? I was on the train from Providence RI to NYC. We made a stop in Ct..as usual. A couple, with a young baby, took seats behind us. Well, there were some issues with the ride, so we had to remain stopped for awhile and passengers started chatting to each other. The young man behind me was obviously in an airline uniform of some sort, so I asked him about it. He was a pilot for Continental (if I remember correctly) and had been called in to sub for another pilot. He was heading to Newark!! And quite worried about making it in time. Anyway...his wife told me she had been a FA, before their baby had been born. The baby was about 6 months or so. We got to talking about flying and such. I asked them how they felt about lap babies. Surprisingly? They were both all for it!!! Now, I'm not sure if they felt that way since they could probably fly a lot without paying, so having to get a seat for the baby would be an issue. But, when I asked them if they were afraid of turbulence or other issues? 'Oh no...that so seldom happens that we just don't worry about it. It's perfectly fine to fly with a baby in your lap!!' I was shocked!! All I know is that it would take only one time for my baby to bounce off the ceiling for me to change my ways. Who wants to take that chance??? Not me. But then again, I'm the one who has the seat belt on at all times!! Just cautious I guess. I have seen what 'white air' can do....do not want to chance that.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
clareita
Mouseketeer

I won't sugar coat it -flying with my kids when they were under 2 was not fun. I vividly remember a flight when my oldest was 9 months old. An hour in to our 5 hour flight and my husband looked and me and said, "One hour down, four to go." I wasn't sure we were going to make it. The problem is that at that age they are used to moving around on their own and get very frustrated at being confined to a seat.

The best thing to do is have some new toys for your child. Bring them out one at a time, and wait until she is getting bored with one before bringing out the next one. The novelty will distract her and keep her happy.
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #39
CourtneyL
Mouseketeer

OP, you've gotten some great advice in this thread and it sounds like you are going to get your child a seat on the plane. I just wanted to add that if your child still fits in the infant car seat at 10 months you should use the infant seat instead of a convertible. It's a lot easier to carry the infant seat and a baseless install is very easy on the plane. Convertibles can be a pain because they are usually large and awkward to carry.

Have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: