Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Potato Head Parts

I have become somewhat obsessed with the Potato Head parts at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney. As I should have expected, certain parts have become quite scarce or even unavailable at the official store(s). It wouldn't surprise me if they stop making a piece every now and then, just like with most any merchandise. However, can anyone confirm this to be true, or have I just had really bad luck the last couple of trips? (My family knows that ol' dad is going to be making a stop in there on every trip!)

Sadly, I remember seeing these same pieces (e.g., Mad Hatter, teacup base and just a few others) a few years ago and am now kicking myself for not stuffing more than one box per trip! I am aware that I can find them on eBay from time to time, but usually it's with a bunch of other stuff that I alread have, so I don't want to pay for an entire lot when it's just a certain piece or two that I need from that group. I suppose that's the fun in collecting something, but if anyone has knowledge of the "retirement" issue, I'd love some confirmation.

Naturally, I also have several ideas for new pieces (even a DCL-exclusive set would be fun), so I'm hoping they do decide to come out with a few new parts sometime.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

I would love some new pieces!

How about some new ride parts? Doom buggy? Or Peter Pan ship?
Bring back dumbo!! I missed him last time. :-(

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

New ride pieces would be a lot of fun. MK alone would provide tons of neat choices. I had not realized there had been a Dumbo ride piece until I stumbled across it online (and immediately bought it). I have seen it a few times on eBay since then (including very recently), so he's out there and available if you want to find him. I must admit that I'd rather buy them straight from the store than online, but when they're gone, I guess I have little choice. EBay certainly has its advantages, but sometimes it makes the "hunt" a little too easy!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe
New ride pieces would be a lot of fun. MK alone would provide tons of neat choices. I had not realized there had been a Dumbo ride piece until I stumbled across it online (and immediately bought it). I have seen it a few times on eBay since then (including very recently), so he's out there and available if you want to find him. I must admit that I'd rather buy them straight from the store than online, but when they're gone, I guess I have little choice. EBay certainly has its advantages, but sometimes it makes the "hunt" a little too easy!
If you see another one, please let me know.

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
However, can anyone confirm this to be true, or have I just had really bad luck the last couple of trips?
Personally, I think they're slowly phasing out the Mr. Potato Head parts because it's only in one store now at WDW. It used to be at more locations, including Disneyland, which doesn't have any locations anymore. Maybe (if we're lucky), they're trying to clear out the old parts before introducing new ones (but I kind of doubt that).

I've haven't seen Dumbo or the Tea Cup base in several years. The only base I saw earlier this month at Once Upon a Toy was the Buzz Lightyear car itself. I looked to see anything new was in sight, but it was pretty much the same parts for the last two years.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
I have become somewhat obsessed with the Potato Head parts at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney. As I should have expected, certain parts have become quite scarce or even unavailable at the official store(s). It wouldn't surprise me if they stop making a piece every now and then, just like with most any merchandise. However, can anyone confirm this to be true, or have I just had really bad luck the last couple of trips? (My family knows that ol' dad is going to be making a stop in there on every trip!)

Sadly, I remember seeing these same pieces (e.g., Mad Hatter, teacup base and just a few others) a few years ago and am now kicking myself for not stuffing more than one box per trip! I am aware that I can find them on eBay from time to time, but usually it's with a bunch of other stuff that I alread have, so I don't want to pay for an entire lot when it's just a certain piece or two that I need from that group. I suppose that's the fun in collecting something, but if anyone has knowledge of the "retirement" issue, I'd love some confirmation.

Naturally, I also have several ideas for new pieces (even a DCL-exclusive set would be fun), so I'm hoping they do decide to come out with a few new parts sometime.
Hi! I worked at Once upon a Toy a few months ago. They no longer have the mad hatter and teacup base and such.
We have the buzz lightyear ride vehicle, that's about it for the bottom attachments and such.

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain

Hollywoodhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
meredith1
DIS Veteran

There is a Disney personal shopper on FB that I've used to get pieces. If there is something you know that you want, let her know and she'll get it for you!

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

The WDW potato head parts are the best souvenirs we've brought home. My girls play with them all the time and have for years. It's frustrating that they're not easily found at the parks anymore (we use to find them at our resort, at the Toontown store, Downtown Disney) and can only find them at DD. It would make me sad if they didn't create new parts and did away with it altogether.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

I have a crazy huge collection of the Disney Potato Head Parts (and a ridiculosly large potato head collection in general - have you seen the new Wizard of Oz ones? Or the 3 Stooges or Kiss and Ozzy ones? I LOVE them)

Last trip just a few weeks ago I couldn't find pieces I don't already have so it was the first time in a long time that I didn't bring any new pieces home. We keep an assortment of bodies and body parts in large decorator baskets under our coffee table and I must admit it's not just kids who like to pull them out and play with them. After parties we've found some odd and interesting creations. Imagine part Darth wearing Tinkerbells hair and carrying Cruella's handbag riding in Dumbo or half transformer/half Little Mermaid.

We also added the Toy Story collection to ours for variety. It's a goofy little collection that isn't too expensive that makes me smile.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: