Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
DanenRox
Disney Junkies

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

So I guess I'm a camper now!

Happy circumstance led us to an unexpected 4 night stay at Ft Wilderness Cabins in February. Being DVC owners, we have become accustomed to lots of amenities and creature comforts. Traveling annually to WDW (sometimes twice a year) we are well versed in what to expect on a Disney vacation. We are annual pass owners because even after all of these years, we enjoy going into the parks. Staying at Ft Wilderness turned that all upside down...
We had a BALL during our stay in the cabins. Yes, the cabin interiors are dated and the beds aren't great (we like a King), nor are the bathrooms (no whirlpool tub, no glass shower). BUT the cabins have everything you need...and then some. As DVC'ers we are used to a more self-sufficient, independent kind of stay and that translates very easily to the cabins. Additionally, having the large deck and our own grill felt very indulgent. On top of that, we could park our car right outside our cabin...what a perk. But it was all of the intangibles that really makes Ft Wilderness a magical place. The privacy, the peacefulness, the slow pace.... The friendliness of of campin' folk, the unique sights and sounds of the campground....the complete absence of crowds, chaos and noise. We found so many spots where we were alone. ALONE in Disney...that's not easy to find. We just fell in love with Ft Wilderness and highly recommend this experience to anyone except first timers to WDW. I think you have to experience the hustle and bustle of Disney Resorts to really appreciate Ft Wilderness. You do have to enjoy some of the independent chores required for "camping"...although daily housekeeping keeps these tasks to a minimum. If these cabins had King beds and laundry, I would consider selling my DVC! (I said consider). Laundry's nearby...$3.00 a load I think...bring quarters. Get a golf cart (off-site for better pricing). Golf carts, while not necessary, are just good, clean fun. Planning our next visit to the cabins in Feb 2014...our annual passes will have expired by then and that's fine. We didn't step foot into a park our last stay at the cabins...never missed it...will be glad to have a park-free stay again next year. When you think about staying at WDW, you've got to at least consider Ft Wilderness.
DanenRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Great info! We love the cabins for all the same reasons and yes, if only there was a stacked W/D in there, it would be pretty close to perfect. We love BWV and OKW but the price keeps going up for us so we're cabins now. Your advice to try somewhere BEFORE the cabins is spot on too.

You really need to try the cabins at Christmas time. Bring lights to decorate your deck, put candles in the windows, decorate to your heart's content. Plus the campground itself is so awesome with camper's decorations. To us, there's no resort that's more Christmas-y.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
macajack
Earning My Ears

We stayed in the cabins over Halloween in 2011 and loved it! Wandering around to look at the Halloween decorations the people with trailers and tents had set up was an awesome bonus.

Cabins, IMO, are totally underrated, especially for the cost.
macajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
BenandMorgsMom
Mouseketeer

OMG..is it something in the water here in wonderful RI. We have been DVC'ers since '99 owning at BWV and BC. We stayed last year at the cabins and LOVED IT! We are heading down for a "Cabin Retreat" for 2 weeks the 2nd week in April. Johnston HS is performing at Disney so this is a big deal for our 2 children. What an experience.
I have to say. If they built a DVC at the Fort, I would be first in line which is a big deal considering I bought in at $65 a point way back when. We come down 5 times per year but I have no problem paying for a stay at the Fort....such a hidden gem and all that you described. I am counting the days till I return back to the peaceful tranquility and all the wonderful experiences the fort has to offer.
BenandMorgsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears

This is so nice to hear from seasoned Disney goers. We booked the cabins for our upcoming stay in May, and while not our first trip to WDW, it has been 12 years or so since we were last there. We took the kids back in the late 80's and stayed at what was then the Pickett Suites (now Doubletree) and again in 2001 when DD went down with the softball team and then later in the week, marching band. We stayed at the Sports Resort with the softball team, and then hightailed it over to the Embassy for the remainder of the week. I am not a big fan of the larger resorts and the crowds, so I am looking forward to the relative serenity afforded at FW. This will be a first visit for DGS, and DD wanted him to have a fully immersed first time experience. For us, we are hoping the cabins will be the best of both worlds. Cannot wait!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
patty57
DIS Veteran

Another Rhode Islander here. I'm not a DVC owner, but sometimes rent from them, which is awesome. The cabins are definitely on my WDW bucket list. I've spent some time walking around the campgrounds, had some dinners there as well. Is there anything more fun than seeing the holiday decorations? Ooohh...maybe this December.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: