Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
chwtom
Earning My Ears

Aquaduck height requirement--close enough?

We are going on the Disney Dream sunday. My son is 41" tall, maybe a little over that. Are the height requirements on the Aquaduck strictly enforced?
He would be going with me. I think I read you are supposed to be 42" to go with a parent.
chwtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
calismic
Mouseketeer

They were not when I was on the Dream on the 14th. My daughter is only 2 year 9 months and we were walking around the pool deck and I figured I'd use the measuring stick just to see if she's grown lately. (She was 39" at her last doctors appointment). As I was standing there a lifeguard walked over and told me "close enough she can go!" She was right around 40". I was a little shocked and quickly responded, "No we're not riding I was just curious as to her height."

Personally I do not advocate riding under 42" even if they aren't being strict. Those restrictions are put there for a reason, in most cases chosen by the engineering team of the ride. You don't want your LO falling out of the raft. One inch can make a huge difference, especially when they're required to have their feet touch the other side before it takes off.

Edit: In the lifeguards defense, my daughter looks a LOT older than she is. Most people think shes at least 4.

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The height requirements are very strictly enforced. It would be a good idea to prepare him for possible/probable disappointment now. Then, if he makes it on it will be a happy moment.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
They were not when I was on the Dream on the 14th. My daughter is only 2 year 9 months and we were walking around the pool deck and I figured I'd use the measuring stick just to see if she's grown lately. (She was 39" at her last doctors appointment). As I was standing there a lifeguard walked over and told me "close enough she can go!" She was right around 40". I was a little shocked and quickly responded, "No we're not riding I was just curious as to her height."

Personally I do not advocate riding under 42" even if they aren't being strict. Those restrictions are put there for a reason, in most cases chosen by the engineering team of the ride. You don't want your LO falling out of the raft. One inch can make a huge difference, especially when they're required to have their feet touch the other side before it takes off.
That is interesting. On our cruises we have seen many children turned away and they were much closer than three inches off. I wonder if your DD would have actually been able to ride or if she would have been turned away by the loading CM. He/She has the final say.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
calismic
Mouseketeer

Ya needless to say I was really surprised, we had no intentions of letting her on ANY waterslide, let alone the Aquaduck!

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwtom View Post
We are going on the Disney Dream sunday. My son is 41" tall, maybe a little over that. Are the height requirements on the Aquaduck strictly enforced?
He would be going with me. I think I read you are supposed to be 42" to go with a parent.
They were STRICTLY enforced when we were just on the Fantasy. My 4 year old literally missed it by MAYBE 1/4 inch if not less and they said no. She was not a happy camper needless to say

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

They were definately measuring when we were on the Fantasy last week. They had 2 different color arm bands. One for those that were allowed to ride with a parent and one for those that were just over the height limit who were allowed to ride on their own. If you weren't close to the line you didn't need a band.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Last week on the Fantasy they would not let my youngest ride and she missed it by an inch. She got over it pretty quickly and moved on and rode the other waterslide.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Water shoes and spiked hair, it worked in Disneyland for my son when he was little,
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally I do not advocate riding under 42" even if they aren't being strict. Those restrictions are put there for a reason, in most cases chosen by the engineering team of the ride.....
I actually think it's the lawyers that set the height requirements for any Disney ride.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Very Strict! Much more so that DL or WDW. Last year our son was right a 42 inches when we measured at home. Once on the fantasy we went straight there when we boarded. The cast member had him take off his water shoes and said hmmmm... close but I need a second opinion. They brought out another cast member who said stand tall...hold still.... his hair was touching the line but his head depending on how he stood was either at or barely touching. (he had a hard time holding still... he was 3 and sooo excited) This took awhile the line behind us all the folks were saying "he's tall enough" "come on disney"... "let him through". To be honest at his doctor's office and at home he was exactly 42 inches... so after a few more hold still... they said he just made it by paper thin margin... If you child will be 42 inches probably ok 41 inches they will know, and you might want to let your kid know they might not get on.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
1Dizney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ya needless to say I was really surprised, we had no intentions of letting her on ANY waterslide, let alone the Aquaduck!
Why? It's not scary at all. I'm afraid of heights and I LOVED it!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Past Cruises___________________________________

Celebrity Solstice - May 6-15; Disney Fantasy - March 9-16, 2013; Celebrity Eclipse - March 10-17; RCI Oasis of the Seas - June 18, 2011; Carnival Conquest - December 26,2010; Celebrity Infinity - July 16, 2010; Celebrity Century - January 16, 2010; RCI Monarch of the Seas - March 13, 2009; RCI Adventure of the Seas - July 27, 2008; Disney Magic - July 25, 2009, May 27, 2006 & June 9, 2000
1Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Lake_Mary
Mouseketeer

Very strict on our Fantasy cruise. DD is about 42.5 inches and they really checked. Saw kids get turned away :/

2/11/12 Magic Eastern, Pirates IN the Caribbean Cruisers

Fantasy booked! 3/2/2013 Sailing away on the Western Itinerary
Lake_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_LovesDisney View Post

They were STRICTLY enforced when we were just on the Fantasy. My 4 year old literally missed it by MAYBE 1/4 inch if not less and they said no. She was not a happy camper needless to say
Ditto this! Then we went on the Dream 2 months later and she had grown enough and they let her on but measured her a few different times.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
I actually think it's the lawyers that set the height requirements for any Disney ride.

How about that Disney is concerned about the safety of your child.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: