Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Annie78
Mouseketeer

Risks of checking in late?

I am staying one night at POP, then moving to BLT on rented points. Ideally I'd like to be out and about for most of the change-over day and only get to BLT around 8pm, but could checking in that late cause problems? I'm not hugely picky about what specific room they assign me, but do I risk a long wait if I discover that the room they assigned me has something wrong with it and they have to scramble to find something else? Does it change anything that I already did online check in?
Also, is there any way I can call in the afternoon to check whether my bags have made it over from POP? I know it's impossible to call the front desk of a hotel - does that mean I can't check on my bags without being face-to-face with bell services?
thanks!
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78 View Post
I am staying one night at POP, then moving to BLT on rented points. Ideally I'd like to be out and about for most of the change-over day and only get to BLT around 8pm, but could checking in that late cause problems?
Not that I am aware of nor have experienced checking in very late.

Quote:
I'm not hugely picky about what specific room they assign me, but do I risk a long wait if I discover that the room they assigned me has something wrong with it and they have to scramble to find something else?
No longer of a wait than you would have if you checked in earlier in the day.

Quote:
Does it change anything that I already did online check in?
Nope.

Quote:
Also, is there any way I can call in the afternoon to check whether my bags have made it over from POP? I know it's impossible to call the front desk of a hotel - does that mean I can't check on my bags without being face-to-face with bell services?
thanks!
This I don't have experience with. I do know it is not easy to get in touch with any of the resorts directly. Even if you hit the front desk button on the phone in your room you are not getting the front desk, you are getting a call center. I have heard if you have patience you can asked to be transferred to the front desk of a resort, but I have always gone down to talk face to face when I've needed to.

But I have never had an issue with my luggage actually getting to our 2nd resort during a split stay.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

If it works for that day to be a MK day I would check in before you go to the park. Your room may not be ready but they will call you when it is, but you are much more likely to get it early so you are not "homeless" all day.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've never heard of people being able to check on your bags. Just assume they will be there after the official checkin time.

I, too, would checkin early in the morning if possible.

But if you tell them you'll be checking in at 8 then they know. We did online checkin, let them know we would be in around 1am, and got just the sort of room we asked for.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
cvjw
DIS Veteran

If it were me, I would make the day that you change resorts to BLT my Magic Kingdom day. After leaving POP, and getting to the MK, I would walk over to BLT during the morning and go ahead a physically check in. It is a very easy and quick walk, and you would already be checked in, and they could send you a text when your villa is ready.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am staying one night at POP, then moving to BLT on rented points. Ideally I'd like to be out and about for most of the change-over day and only get to BLT around 8pm, but could checking in that late cause problems? I'm not hugely picky about what specific room they assign me, but do I risk a long wait if I discover that the room they assigned me has something wrong with it and they have to scramble to find something else?
You pretty much identified the only problem I can see with a late check-in. If you don't like the room you're assigned, it might be difficult to find/get an alternative room. My family checked in on the late side one time (around 6 pm) and the only room remaining in our category was not to our liking (next to the smoking area), but there were no other rooms available, so we had to take that one for the night and then move the next day.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: