Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

What does the cruise smell like?

we are first timers and my grand daughter has some sensory issues. she is very into "smells". so her only question for the upcoming dream cruise is what does it smell like on the ship and if you are standing on the deck, does it smell like salt water? I found a thread on the parks board that talks about finding air fresheners and perfumes from home that remind you of Disney, but no one answered yet, so I though for sure someone on here would be able to help me out with an answer.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

I am highly sensitive to smells myself, and I can't say I've ever stopped to think of what a Disney Cruise smells like! The humidity has a smell but other than in port, I wouldn't say 'outside' smells like much other than 'outside'. The pool decks don't have a chlorine smell, around the quick service food places you smell pizza or fries. You will ALWAYS smell sunscreen, every where you go!
The rooms have a clean smell that after 2 days disappears completely to my nose. And when we unpacked back at home I always breath in that smell as my last piece of vacation.
2 things I can think of that may be an issue- the toilets on the Wonder (no idea about the other ships) could sometimes smell a bit wonky. The stateroom host can fix it. The bathroom also often smells like bleach.
The other thing is that some ports smell like burning garbage (both Puerto Vallarta and Cozumel did so maybe it's a Mexico thing!) I was the only one in my family that was bothered by it.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Odd question, but after reading I get it...we have only been on one cruise so I guess if I had to describe it I would say it smells like relaxation.... There is all kinds of smells, top deck burgers, pizza, fresh fruit, chlorine water from the pools, sun lotion from the people. Inside the main dining room yummy food, the smell of early morning breakfast.. The Walt Disney theater, fresh clean clothes, perfumes and cologne... also early morning top deck with the fresh morning sea breeze.... hope that helps.
Relaxation....

Last edited by TheHannas; 03-21-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
TheHannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

it is a funny question, had you asked me 8 yrs ago, I wouldn't have understood. but thanks, I am getting some ideas how to explain to her. a lot of sunscreen isn't bad, she used to like to smell her pre'k teacher because her perfume smelled like a tropical island, so I guess sunscreen would fall into that category. she was wondering if the air out in the middle of the ocean smells like down the shore( the jersey shore). we may have a problem with a bad smelling bathroom, she wont take her special blanket to my parents house because then it will smell like their house, which I don't think is a bad smell. guess she wont want the blanket smelling "wonky". too funny.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My son has sensory issues as well so I understand this question. My son never complained about about the cruise having any particular smell. He didn't like the smell of Parrot Cay the day they had the seafood buffet but that was the only day he mentioned any unpleasant or strong odor. I hope your granddaughter really enjoys her trip.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

oh she will love it, she cant wait. maybe I can let her pick out an air freshener to put in the bathroom. they will let me take one on board I would think?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazie4dizney View Post
oh she will love it, she cant wait. maybe I can let her pick out an air freshener to put in the bathroom. they will let me take one on board I would think?
No problem taking air freshener.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

fwiw. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ighlight=smell
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Don't take her to Yellowstone! The geysers smell way more than a little wonky
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

thanks for the link Bear, that was great. will have to look for that perfume, but not spending that much, maybe a test spray!

have never been to Yellowstone, but not sure what a geyser is supposed to smell like.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:

have never been to Yellowstone, but not sure what a geyser is supposed to smell like.
A lot of the geysers smell like rotten eggs due to high levels of sulfur.

Jill in CO
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure about the geysers, but many of the boiling-hot-water "ponds" smell of sulfur. (says the person who lives in the land of the Tacoma Aroma, LOL...which rarely happens anymore but when it does it's a combo of low-tide river and sulfur from the pulp mill factory)

Weirdly, I don't remember noticing how the cruise/ship smelled. Castaway Cay smelled like sunshine and salt once I had gone in the water.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Smells like Paradise

Quote:
we are first timers and my grand daughter has some sensory issues. she is very into "smells". so her only question for the upcoming dream cruise is what does it smell like on the ship and if you are standing on the deck, does it smell like salt water? I found a thread on the parks board that talks about finding air fresheners and perfumes from home that remind you of Disney, but no one answered yet, so I though for sure someone on here would be able to help me out with an answer.
It is what you make it. Stop thinking about what its going to smell like and do what we did on our first cruise, had one Hell of a great trip in paradise. In face we went to Hell, and came back. I will let you figure that one out. It's like worrying about being sea sick. Do not. Just get some meds put them in your bag. That is all it takes to insure you will not have a problem.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

I live at the Jersey shore. It does not smell like here because you are out on the open water most of the time so you do not have the marsh smells, the sand smell, etc. Castaway Cay, while is a beach, also doesn't smell like here so much since they have different sea life (no horseshoe crabs, etc). You will not get that, "Ah, the shore" smell that I remember on our way down, before we moved here. While I do not have a strong sense of smell, I am sure she will be able to smell the salt in the sir, but it won't be as strong as at the shore. HTH

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Sometimes the public bathrooms (by the end of the cruise) will have a "bathroom" smell. You know what I mean. Someone had said on here that its due to the gases.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: