Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
Lorien728
Mouseketeer
 
Lorien728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 162

To avoid all of this why not just keep track of what you charge and apply the gc's daily if you'd like?
__________________
Me- DH (MrD1sturbed)




Lorien728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #47
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Tiger, no one here is saying that you're wrong. We're (or at least I'm ) saying the CM is either wrong and doesn't have the full story. They'd have a revolt on their hands if they just suddenly say "Oh yeah hey we're keeping your money, sorry!!". You HAVE explained what you heard very clearly. The replies I don't think are to you specifically, just to what you heard.
No worries to me at all. I just reported a very specific experience re: applying gift cards at check-in.

Again, there can be no revolt if that is the policy and it is clearly explained to guests at check-in.

As soon as I get a response from Disney, I will let everyone know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post

And there has been some misunderstanding, because many of the replies (my first one included) have been addressing situations beyond the very narrow scope of what Tiger is saying - she's reporting back specifically about applying gift cards at check in to cover charges made to the room account, not to booking packages or dining or tours or other pre-paid experiences with GCs.

I've yet to come across a CM who knows how to apply a GC in advance to a room account - I've always been told I had to come back before the CC on file is run if I want to pay my room charge with a GC, so I have absolutely no experience at all with what the refund policy for gift cards credited in advance might be. But I will try again next trip and see what I'm told then.
Yes, thank you. Exactly what I have been saying...my experience is a very specific one related to check-in procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien728 View Post
To avoid all of this why not just keep track of what you charge and apply the gc's daily if you'd like?
Yes, this is what I mentioned as an alternative as the CM specifically encouraged this. Seems she is implying an issue with the refund process back to the original gift card.

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #48
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien728 View Post
To avoid all of this why not just keep track of what you charge and apply the gc's daily if you'd like?
That's what I've been doing, more or less. I don't apply them daily but I keep track of my spending and apply the GCs if I'm getting close to the limit as well as when I return to my resort on the last night of my stay.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #49
jenn3456
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
That's part of why I don't do the Target discount thing. We get 2% back in tuition credits if I buy through the scrip program at my kids' school but there I can get $1000 cards so I only need to keep track of a few. Our Target only has up to $100 denominations and I don't want to hold on to 30 or 40 cards just in case I need to cancel! I don't mind the money being tied up on gift cards because I know we'll use them eventually but I'd like to use as few cards as possible to have less to keep track of. The extra 3% savings isn't worth paying off the trip in $100 pieces.
We have the scrip program throughI don't buy the disney cards through my kids school too. I do buy the Walgreens cards because they allow you to change them in for Disney cards or Visa gift cards. I buy the Walgreen's at 6% and use them to buy Visa g.c in $500 increments. It does cost me $5/visa card but I still come out $25 out in tuition reimbursment! I have 5 kids in private school and this trip by itself with save me over a month of tutions!
jenn3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Totally different than what the CM told me. As Colleen mentioned previously in this thread, us regulars know that Disney is very inconsistent at times with many policies, gift cards included.

And by the way, you are correct. I did say that funds would not be refunded, so this CM said to make sure we knew how much we would spend, as we would not be refunded back in any way.
...
Tiger
The inconsistency is extremely annoying, I guess that's what happens when you have so many employees.
I didn't read your early responses as saying no refund in any way, it sounded to me like you were specifying they wouldn't put it on the gift card. It really doesn't matter, at this point it is clear what you were told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post

I've yet to come across a CM who knows how to apply a GC in advance to a room account - I've always been told I had to come back before the CC on file is run if I want to pay my room charge with a GC, so I have absolutely no experience at all with what the refund policy for gift cards credited in advance might be. But I will try again next trip and see what I'm told then.
Speaking of inconsistency, last year we did a split stay at POP and YC. On arrival day at POP I pulled out a stack of gift cards and she started scanning them. Just before we hit the full amount of our stay, the CM commented that she wasn't sure if she would be able to go over the balance, but just kept going and put a few hundred extra dollars on. During that week I went down to the lobby I think three times with more cards to pay us off up to date plus some. I always walked away with a positive balance.

We went over to Yacht club and did the same thing there. I left the counter with a positive balance at check in and twice more during that part of our stay. Other than that very first person nobody even said anything, they just scanned the cards I had.

It might in part be that I never asked, I just handed them the cards and said "I need to apply these to my room." So they did.

ETA: Just to be sure I'm not crazy, I still have the receipts from the hotels so I checked them just now and sure enough you can see we had a positive balance all those times. Above and beyond the total for our room stay price.
__________________
Me(33) DH(33) DD(11) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #51
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,996

So, happy. Got the RX extra 5% and went to Target. Got $2200 in GC for $1985.40. We pay off the hotel room when we get to the resort and then apply another $100-$200 to the account. We apply more GC when necessary.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #52
geckodani
DIS Veteran
 
geckodani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
So, happy. Got the RX extra 5% and went to Target. Got $2200 in GC for $1985.40. We pay off the hotel room when we get to the resort and then apply another $100-$200 to the account. We apply more GC when necessary.
Random question; do the pharmacy reward coupons have an expiration date on them?
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer
 
Disfamily0405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
Random question; do the pharmacy reward coupons have an expiration date on them?
yes they do.
Disfamily0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #54
geckodani
DIS Veteran
 
geckodani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfamily0405 View Post
yes they do.
Thank you!
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #55
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

UPDATE

Finally heard back from Executive Office today regarding my experience @ Boardwalk Resort and using gift cards upon check-in.

CM who assisted me was incorrect, as Disney continues to have the same payment policy: whatever method you pay, the refund will be applied in this manner. The CM supervisor whom I spoke with today has sent a memo to all resorts, as well spoken to the the team lead at Boardwalk, so he/she can review the policy will all of their staff.

She said the CM must give you back your gift cards, so that any refund can be applied back to those cards. They will not issue checks or cash refunds whatsoever, if you have used a gift card at check-in, so you must keep them if you think you will be owed a refund.

She said the best way is to apply the gift cards in small amounts, should you be worried about not spending all of the gift card money, or losing your gift card. In that event, you will not be refunded until you can produce the gift card used at check-in.

She apologized for my experience, and said thanks for bringing it to their attention, as it shows that they need to re-train some CMs in this procedure.

Hope this info helps, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
Lorien728
Mouseketeer
 
Lorien728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post

Random question; do the pharmacy reward coupons have an expiration date on them?
It's generally 45 days after you receive it. They are dated.
__________________
Me- DH (MrD1sturbed)




Lorien728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #57
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
UPDATE

Finally heard back from Executive Office today regarding my experience @ Boardwalk Resort and using gift cards upon check-in.

CM who assisted me was incorrect, as Disney continues to have the same payment policy: whatever method you pay, the refund will be applied in this manner. The CM supervisor whom I spoke with today has sent a memo to all resorts, as well spoken to the the team lead at Boardwalk, so he/she can review the policy will all of their staff.

She said the CM must give you back your gift cards, so that any refund can be applied back to those cards. They will not issue checks or cash refunds whatsoever, if you have used a gift card at check-in, so you must keep them if you think you will be owed a refund.

She said the best way is to apply the gift cards in small amounts, should you be worried about not spending all of the gift card money, or losing your gift card. In that event, you will not be refunded until you can produce the gift card used at check-in.

She apologized for my experience, and said thanks for bringing it to their attention, as it shows that they need to re-train some CMs in this procedure.

Hope this info helps, Tiger
Yes it does help Tiger - thank you! Now we won't have to worry about a revolt!

Thanks for taking the time to update us!

Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #58
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post

Yes it does help Tiger - thank you! Now we won't have to worry about a revolt!

Thanks for taking the time to update us!

Heather
You are most welcome!

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.