Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post

Did the CM tell you how they would refund the money if needed (if they don't refund to gift cards any longer)? I'm not doubting *you* of course but this would be a huge change! I have paid for most of our cruises using my Target red card and they DCL always remind me to keep the cards as any refunds will go back to the cards.

Thanks,
Heather
No, as I said she said they will not refund back to Disney gift cards, so she suggested small increments of applying the gift cards.

She could be wrong, but came out from back office and said she checked with her supervisor. I mentioned that on our Fantasy cruise, they specifically reminded us to keep our gift cards so they could apply a balance if necessary. She mentioned how Parks and DCL are different...

I am still not sure what to make of this? We are DVC, so we will be back for 2 weeks this summer, and will check again then.

Just wanted to mention our recent experience at the parks, which is different than our DCL experience from August.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos_101 View Post
Hi, Not the OP here but I wanted to say that I have done this method of buying GC's at Target for Disney vacation for the last 3 trips.
Just this past week I bought $1100 in disney gc's to pay for our upcoming trip in May. First, I use the funds from our 'vacation' account so essentially if the trip gets cancelled it isn't money that we would have needed for bills or etc. So no worries about that. I haven't had to cancel a trip yet (knock on wood lol) so not sure how they refund but I always keep the giftcards used until after the trip.
Second, IF the May trip (DS school competition at Swan) should have to be cancelled we would just reschedule for our August trip (dd was accepted to Disney college program).

I would say that it is only wise to use this method of Target disney GC's if you know you will not need the funds for your daily life. And that you are willing to have those funds tied up for a disney vacation, be it now or in the future. I personally know that I WILL be going a few times this year, and that these funds are exclusively for vacation so therefore I don't have to worry about it being tied up with diney.

Even though $1100 doesn't equal alot of savings by using this method. I think it only equals $55.00 in savings but I had to pay for the trip so figured that is $55 in my pocket instead of disney's and they are already getting enough of my money. Now we all know that they will get that $55 anyways BUT it will be for food or souvies not my initial stay. lol

Just wanted to give a little insight to why someone might choose to go this route. I totally understand how it wouldn't make sense if you were worried about the $$. No way would I do it this way if I thought I might not get to go at all or if I thought I needed the money for something else.
Yes, we would just re-book if we could not go for some reason. The money was dedicated for the family vacation, so I am not too worried! If not for this trip, then we will go another time. Luckily, my vacation time can be pretty flexible, as is DH's.
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
No, as I said she said they will not refund back to Disney gift cards, so she suggested small increments of applying the gift cards.

She could be wrong, but came out from back office and said she checked with her supervisor. I mentioned that on our Fantasy cruise, they specifically reminded us to keep our gift cards so they could apply a balance if necessary. She mentioned how Parks and DCL are different...

I am still not sure what to make of this? We are DVC, so we will be back for 2 weeks this summer, and will check again then.

Just wanted to mention our recent experience at the parks, which is different than our DCL experience from August.

Tiger
I'm also not doubting what she told you, but for them to say "we will not refund back to a giftcard" they have to also be able to say what will then happen. Will you be out of luck or will their be an alternate form of refund, you know? And honestly working in retail I never trust the answer from anyone that goes in the back for an answer. It's an easy way to appease a customer because it looks like you're doing something even if you already know the answer. "Sure I can go in the back and look to see if I have that product" even though I know 100% that we don't.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post

I'm also not doubting what she told you, but for them to say "we will not refund back to a giftcard" they have to also be able to say what will then happen. Will you be out of luck or will their be an alternate form of refund, you know? And honestly working in retail I never trust the answer from anyone that goes in the back for an answer. It's an easy way to appease a customer because it looks like you're doing something even if you already know the answer. "Sure I can go in the back and look to see if I have that product" even though I know 100% that we don't.
I have already said that she said they will not refund back to card, and will not refund any monies back at all, which is why I mentioned how she told us to just apply the gift cards in small increments for the amount we knew we would spend.

She made it clear, as I have, that this particular CM does not refund back any funds when using Disney gift cards.

Is it correct? Not sure, but this was our experience last week at Boardwalk, which is a DVC resort full of regulars who she said use Disney Gift Cards frequently.

Hope this clears it up, Tiger
Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
DisHokie
Mouseketeer

I'm not saying your wrong but I can't imagine Disney can keep your money just because its a gift card.. Confused
Pop Century May 2014 - Girls only!, Bay Lake Tower January 2013, All Star Sports September 2012, Wilderness Lodge September 2011, Bay Lake Towers January 2011 - We're DVC!, Wilderness Lodge May 2010, Polynesian and 1st Disney Cruise, Carribean Beach September 2007 Honeymoon! , Coronado Springs Christmas 2005, All-Star Music May 2005,
School Show Choir Trip May 2000, School Show Choir Trip May 1999, Polynesian August 1998, Grand Floridian August 1997, Travel Lodge July 1987

DH ME DS DS
DisHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisHokie View Post
I'm not saying your wrong but I can't imagine Disney can keep your money just because its a gift card.. Confused
Why not? A gift card is to be used at time of purchase, and so since you are applying it to an account, then perhaps this is where the policy change is coming from?

Or, as I said, she was incorrect?

Tiger
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
geckodani
DIS Veteran

I've used gift cards on three past trips, and have been told by CMs to keep the cards, as if a refund was issued the funds would go back on the card.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
I've used gift cards on three past trips, and have been told by CMs to keep the cards, as if a refund was issued the funds would go back on the card.
Me too, as recently as last week when I called to book a tour and last month when I stayed at CSR. However, I did have some issues with applying the gift cards that I've never had before - if one card wasn't enough to cover the entire balance I had to know exactly what was on it so the CM could process the charge for that amount, and at the Emporium two CMs couldn't seem to figure out how to apply 2 gift cards to a purchase (using one up, then taking the remaining amount due from the other). One went in back, said she asked a manager, and came back to tell me they couldn't apply more than one GC to a single transaction.

Of course, I still got the "can't apply gift cards to your room account" spiel at check-in so who knows what the policy is on refunds from that angle. A little consistency would be nice now and then.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Me too, as recently as last week when I called to book a tour and last month when I stayed at CSR. However, I did have some issues with applying the gift cards that I've never had before - if one card wasn't enough to cover the entire balance I had to know exactly what was on it so the CM could process the charge for that amount, and at the Emporium two CMs couldn't seem to figure out how to apply 2 gift cards to a purchase (using one up, then taking the remaining amount due from the other). One went in back, said she asked a manager, and came back to tell me they couldn't apply more than one GC to a single transaction.

Of course, I still got the "can't apply gift cards to your room account" spiel at check-in so who knows what the policy is on refunds from that angle. A little consistency would be nice now and then.
Yes, consistency would be great, as my experience last week, was that they are no longer applying back refunds to Disney Gift Cards according to the Boardwalk check-in CM I dealt with.

Not sure if she is correct, but that was my experience as early as last week.

Tiger
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
You paid off your package with 43 gift cards.What happens if you have to cancel it goes back on 43 gift cards. It seems like a big hastle and a big risk to save a hundred or so dollars. Have you ever considered a Disney Visa. You get 2% cash back and if you have to cancel the money goes back on your Visa which you can use for other purchases. A Disney gift card can only be used at Disney. I'm sorry I just don't get it.
You don't get 2% back and its not on cash back, it is on Disney gift cards. You get 1% back on a disney rewards redemption card. 5% is more than 1% so why wouldn't you do that?

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

OP- good for you to keep your cool! I hate what that happens.

Where is NW Ohio are you from? I am from Maumee, Ohio

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
You paid off your package with 43 gift cards.What happens if you have to cancel it goes back on 43 gift cards. It seems like a big hastle and a big risk to save a hundred or so dollars.
That's part of why I don't do the Target discount thing. We get 2% back in tuition credits if I buy through the scrip program at my kids' school but there I can get $1000 cards so I only need to keep track of a few. Our Target only has up to $100 denominations and I don't want to hold on to 30 or 40 cards just in case I need to cancel! I don't mind the money being tied up on gift cards because I know we'll use them eventually but I'd like to use as few cards as possible to have less to keep track of. The extra 3% savings isn't worth paying off the trip in $100 pieces.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Yes, consistency would be great, as my experience last week, was that they are no longer applying back refunds to Disney Gift Cards according to the Boardwalk check-in CM I dealt with.

Not sure if she is correct, but that was my experience as early as last week.

Tiger
I'll ask when I get to Pop next month but that specific area of policy - applying gift cards to a room account - seems to be a particular train wreck when it comes to consistancy and CM training.

I've been told no less than three times that gift cards cannot be applied in advance and that if I want to pay off my room account with a GC I have to do so at the end of the trip, but I know from the DIS that others have been able to put the GCs on their account in advance. If by some chance I succeed next trip I'll see what they have to say about the refund policy.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
JKeenz
Enduring the long wait until the next trip....

I never thought of using my Target Red Card to purchase Disney gift cards! Planning on paying OOP with gift cards for our food this trip instead of using DDP, so this is great! Thanks to whoever started this thread and for sharing your experiences I using them.....

Expecting our little boy in July 2014
Hoping to take him on his first trip in November 2015... Mommy & Daddy can't wait to get back!

September 2013 - Disneyland - one day during our trip to SoCal
May 2013 – Caribbean Beach
May 2012 – Coronado Springs – With Mom for Mother’s Day
October 2011 – Port Orleans French Quarter – Honeymoon!
November 2010 – Coronado Springs – Got Engaged!
July 2008 – Pop Century
April 1993 - Off-Property
February 1991 - Off-Property
February 1987 - Off-Property

JKeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
You don't get 2% back and its not on cash back, it is on Disney gift cards. You get 1% back on a disney rewards redemption card. 5% is more than 1% so why wouldn't you do that?
Because on a DCL cruise I want the $50 visa credit and 6 months interest free !
Seems to me a lot more work for 3% more and no interest free period ....
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: