Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
eddy-4
Earning My Ears

Sony SAL-70200G. Looking for some guidance.

My fellow photography enthusiasts, I need some advice--actually I need a lot of advice.

I have the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and I've always found it be a pretty decent lens for the money. But I'm considering an upgrade to the Sony 70-200G. I shoot mostly sports--basketball, soccer, equestrian, and track. While the Tamron is a solid lens, I'm frustrated by how slow the focus is without the SSM motor.

However, the Sony is significantly more than what I paid for the Tamron. So, before I make such a monumental decision, I thought I'd toss it out there to my fellow Sony lovers.

1. If you have the SAL-70200G do you love it? Is it worth the rather hefty price tag?

2. If you've sold a lens through eBay, were you happy with the experience? If I upgrade I'll sell my old one, but I'm not sure if I want to trade it in or sell it on my own. Dodd Camera and B and H have offered me a trade-in value of $300.00 on my Tamron (pending inspection). Adorama has said that they "may" give up to $500.00 (pending inspection), but I'm wondering if that isn't a little bit of a lead on to get me to send my lens in and buy the new one.

3. Do you use filters on your lenses? I have always put filters on my lenses but I recently enrolled in NYIP and they are very much against the use of filters for protection. However, I'm slowly upgrading the quality of my lenses and it gives me a lot of heartburn to not protect them as much as possible. What are your thoughts on the subject?

My apologies if I have rambled on.
eddy-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
cjstarr
DIS Veteran

eddy-4 I'm going to be facing the same problems as you are now. I am looking at a 17-50 or going with a 17-70 both f/2.8. Then I will be going after a 70-200 f/2.8 or a 70-300 f/4.-5.6
So I'm going to tag along with you and the advice you receive.
June 6, 2010 Movie Resort, MK, Epcot, HS, & AK
Our next trip to Walt Disney World ???

Think Outside the BOX!!!
My Camera is a Sony A57
cjstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

All I can suggest is check dyxum.com
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

I have had the Sony 70-200G for almost 5 years now and yes, I do love it. But I haven't tried either of the Tamron or Sigma versions so I can not do a comparison to them. I have been happy with the focus speed unless I was trying to shoot a bird - but I blame that on my technique - totally.

Here are a couple of my equestrian related shots with it. All shots are wide open, relatively slow shutter speed while panning to allow for lower ISO or to show motion, have been cropped from the original and were taken in a covered arena with poor lighting:

Local Barrel Racing:

Reno Rodeo:

Not fast action but it has a horse and is a favorite of mine!

Last edited by KAT4DISNEY; 03-21-2013 at 09:08 PM.
KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Have you thought about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8? I shot with one on a D5100 a while ago and loved it. It was really sharp and had the HSM focus motor which focuses much faster than the Tamron which I currently have. It was pretty close to the Nikon 70-200 that I tested.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Regarding selling a lens. I've sold a few to KEH when they were out at a local shop buying and was ok with the prices although if I had been willing to take the time I probably could have done a little better. But I could walk in with the lens and walk out if I didn't agree to the price. If making the switch I'd sell the Tamron on my own either thru ebay or maybe Fred Miranda or Dyxum if they still have a selling forum. If in good condition I'd have no doubt you could easily top the one quote and probably what Adorama would pay as well.

And I do not use filters on my lenses. Maybe I live dangerously but I'm fine with the protection a hood gives.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I also strongly recommend Fredmiranda.com and Dyxum for sales. I have sold on both with great experiences.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
eddy-4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Have you thought about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8? I shot with one on a D5100 a while ago and loved it. It was really sharp and had the HSM focus motor which focuses much faster than the Tamron which I currently have. It was pretty close to the Nikon 70-200 that I tested.
I had thought about it and also the new Tamron that is being released in the next few weeks, but the price is so close to the Sony that I wonder if I'm not better off going with the Sony. Plus, I'm ashamed to admit, the Sony is dang beautiful! Something about that beautiful white lens!

Geez, I'm so shallow!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
eddy-4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Regarding selling a lens. I've sold a few to KEH when they were out at a local shop buying and was ok with the prices although if I had been willing to take the time I probably could have done a little better. But I could walk in with the lens and walk out if I didn't agree to the price. If making the switch I'd sell the Tamron on my own either thru ebay or maybe Fred Miranda or Dyxum if they still have a selling forum. If in good condition I'd have no doubt you could easily top the one quote and probably what Adorama would pay as well.

And I do not use filters on my lenses. Maybe I live dangerously but I'm fine with the protection a hood gives.
Absolutely beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing! Exactly what i'm looking for. I've read the reviews on dpreview, etc., but wondered what folks who worked with it every day thought about it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
eddy-4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstarr View Post
eddy-4 I'm going to be facing the same problems as you are now. I am looking at a 17-50 or going with a 17-70 both f/2.8. Then I will be going after a 70-200 f/2.8 or a 70-300 f/4.-5.6
So I'm going to tag along with you and the advice you receive.
Cjstarr, the more the merrier!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: