DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Honestly, if I anticipated vacationing primarily in California and Hawaii, I wouldn't buy DVC at all.

To me, the real value of DVC is AT Walt Disney World. The other locations just don't have any unique advantages that justify the much higher price. My opinion obviously -- YMMV.

IF I wanted to get into timesharing, I would look at other timeshares which might offer many more options for pennies on the dollar.
I'm with you here, DVC works best for going to WDW.

DL just doesn't have enough rooms to make it easy enough to get into.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMama View Post
The thing is if you go primarly to disneyland (for us Disneyworld is a good 12 hour plane ride) you are either stuck paying $300-400+ a night at one of three Disney hotels or staying off property at the overpriced motels. Renting points for vgc while not impossible is not easy but for a 1 br at $13 a point can reach $3k plus a week. For us, its not so much a value, but buying into a certain quality of a vacation.
If owning at DL guaranteed access, I'd agree with you, but it doesn't. Therefore I think your thought is only applicable to those that truly can and do plan ahead at the 11 month window.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
The thing is if you go primarly to disneyland (for us Disneyworld is a good 12 hour plane ride) you are either stuck paying $300-400+ a night at one of three Disney hotels or staying off property at the overpriced motels. Renting points for vgc while not impossible is not easy but for a 1 br at $13 a point can reach $3k plus a week. For us, its not so much a value, but buying into a certain quality of a vacation.
Right, but read Dean's post on the first page. There are many other options. The three Dean mentioned (Shell, Worldmark, and Wyndham) are all owned by Wyndham and can be bought for next to nothing on eBay and elsewhere.

Wyndham, for example, has EIGHT resorts in California, including two in Anaheim, and ELEVEN in Hawaii. (That's Wyndham alone, not counting Shell or Worldmark)

OP says they'd like to have 500-1,000 DVC points. We paid less than $2,000 including all closing and transfer costs for roughly the equivalent of 600-700 DVC points in Wyndham. Our annual MF's are about $2,200.

There are lots of options besides DVC and paying rack rates for hotel rooms.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
PCMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA
Right, but read Dean's post on the first page. There are many other options. The three Dean mentioned (Shell, Worldmark, and Wyndham) are all owned by Wyndham and can be bought for next to nothing on eBay and elsewhere.

Wyndham, for example, has EIGHT resorts in California, including two in Anaheim, and ELEVEN in Hawaii. (That's Wyndham alone, not counting Shell or Worldmark)

OP says they'd like to have 500-1,000 DVC points. We paid less than $2,000 including all closing and transfer costs for roughly the equivalent of 600-700 DVC points in Wyndham. Our annual MF's are about $2,200.

There are lots of options besides DVC and paying rack rates for hotel rooms.
I agree there are other options I'm a worldmark and Marriott owner myself, but nothing beats staying on property even I. DL, and there is no wyndham or worldmark at ko Olina, though I agree one could trade into ko Olina. I guess its what the op wants, an inexpensive place to stay, or Disney.
PCMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
I agree there are other options I'm a worldmark and Marriott owner myself, but nothing beats staying on property even I. DL, and there is no wyndham or worldmark at ko Olina, though I agree one could trade into ko Olina. I guess its what the op wants, an inexpensive place to stay, or Disney.
And where they want to stay. I certainly agree with the onsite benefits at WDW. DL, less so.

But if I were going to Hawaii, the island of Oahu would be my last choice. And on Oahu, Ko Olina would be my last choice. Even if I could stay at Aulani, I'd rather stay at either of the Wyndhams at Waikiki.

(But realistically, I wouldn't go to Oahu at all -- I'd MUCH rather be on Kauii, Maui, or the Big Island.)
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: