Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Glad to see there are some combined Hershey/WDW fanatics here. I personally don't care for Six Flags, never did and never will either. While Hershey is no WDW at all, they do appeal not only to thrillseekers, but to families as well. Even their characters kind of resemble Disney characters in a way as to their appearance, even though they are walking Hershey candy bars and such.
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
HPCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynBeth View Post
We live in MD about an hour and a half away and I have been various times as a kid and adult. My husband and I like to stay a few nights at a pet friendly hotel very close to the park. We treat ourselves to dinner at the Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey the evening we arrive and really like the breakfast buffet there so we drive over for breakfast as well. We have done other attractions in the town besides HP and Zoo America. We are not ride people but we find enough to do to enjoy our visits.
Which pet friendly hotel do you stay at?
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
M&N
DIS Veteran

I live about 25 min away. I enjoy the Sunday concerts. A lot of variety. Bowser is the best. He really brings in some oldies. I have not looked up who will be there this year.

Give me Liberty!

Give me Liberty! -----

Give me Liberty!

Give me Liberty!

-------

------

-----

Racin' with dreaminInPA!

Give me Liberty!
M&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Which pet friendly hotel do you stay at?
The Days Inn on Chocolate Ave allows pets. We stayed a night there with our two dogs while we were waiting to move in here. It's a nice place, nothing fancy, and VERY close to the park (you could probably walk there and back). The biggest "complaint" we had was the parking, but we had a moving truck and my husbands big truck and it was the weekend of the Hershey Antique Car event - so...not really a complaint, but just be aware the parking can be a little tight sometimes.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCrazy
Thought this would be the appropriate area to post this topic, away from the Disney sections. Was wondering if any fellow Disney fanatics here live or have visited this cool theme park in Hershey, PA. I visit numerous times every year (live appox 40 min away). If you have visited before or live near it, feel free to discuss about the park below.
This thread makes me excited, we are moving to Lancaster this summer and I think it's only about 30 minutes away. We did go to Chocolate World when we were visiting last month, and I had a blast. Much more fun than I was expecting! My DD4 got to dance with all the candy bars in a little parade and it was hilarious. I grew up going to Carowinds (NC/SC) every summer, so I'm glad to be close to another fun park.
jenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCrazy View Post
That's so cool. I would love to do a similar thing. Maybe as I get more involved here come into contact with various members who live in this area and visit the park often. Hey, at least it's something to hold me over until my next visit to Disney lol.
It was a lot of fun meeting them. We all stayed at the same hotel, had dinner together and toured HP together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&N View Post
I live about 25 min away. I enjoy the Sunday concerts. A lot of variety. Bowser is the best. He really brings in some oldies. I have not looked up who will be there this year.
Speaking of one of the DISesr I met at Hershey...HI M&N!

Pikester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhum View Post
This thread makes me excited, we are moving to Lancaster this summer and I think it's only about 30 minutes away. We did go to Chocolate World when we were visiting last month, and I had a blast. Much more fun than I was expecting! My DD4 got to dance with all the candy bars in a little parade and it was hilarious. I grew up going to Carowinds (NC/SC) every summer, so I'm glad to be close to another fun park.
I'm so jealous. I grew up in Lancaster and miss it so much. Hope you enjoy it, and yes Hershey's only about 30 mins. from Lancaster. Not sure if you have little ones, but Dutch Wonderland is a kiddish theme park (probably ideal for the 1-9ish age) in Lancaster. I think it has some kind of connection with Hershey, as they sell combo tickets for both.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #23
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

We LOVE Hershey Park, we missed going last summer and I am so bummed, hopefully this summer. We usually go every summer and NYE.

On NYE, we drive up, go to Chocolate World, go see the Sweet Lights (Christmas lights display drive thru), have dinner somewhere in Hershey and we are home by 9:30. It is a family tradition and bc we are home so early even my high schooler agreed to go bc then he could still go to his party with friends.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
averill94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
Moved to the area in October and we bought our annual passes. We visited the park once for the Halloween festivities and three times for the Christmas Candylane.

For us the park is a bit of "culture shock" since we have been pass holders for Busch Gardens Williamsburg for many years.

Hersheypark has it's highlights (the Chocolate chief among them). But, to me it doesn't look like much more than a carnival that was permanently installed. Too much asphalt and not enough landscaping (this from a highway engineer) - the park could be so much more.

We will be going for the first opening this Spring (next Friday) and I'm looking forward to maybe seeing a better side of Hersheypark this spring and summer.
It is so great to see someone else going next week!!! We are planning to go also. I was hoping to get lucky and get a 50 degree day.....Are you concerened about going in 40 degree weather? We are having second thoughts!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I'm an hour from Hershey, we end up down there throughout the year for different things. Have grown up going to that park. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it as a park, and boy are they beefing up the coasters! But the crowds and the crowd control is just horrible anymore. I won't go in the summer, just May or Sept.

Who has ridden the new coaster? Talk about another love/hate.... it is an amazing, amazing ride. Just everything I love about coasters EXCEPT....and this is a biggie.... the restraint system. When I say I thought my thigh would break, I'm not at all exaggerating. The bar came down right in the center of my thigh. Rather than locking in both directions, it tightened throughout the ride. Meantime, I'm getting MAJOR negative-Gs which would be fantastic on any ride except one where my legs are so tightly locked down. So every time we hit the top of a hill, I would fly up, creating the same force on my leg that's used when you snap a twig. I was honestly horrified. I pray they fix that because it's such a great coaster!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhum View Post
You're referring to the "Hersheypark Chocolate Character Parade" that's held every weekend in February. We do that every year and really enjoy it! If you go at the right time and it's not too crowded, you can get lots of great pics of the characters. The band is pretty cool too and they also play in the park during the summer months as well.

You guys plan on hitting up the park this year? Would be cool to make some new Disney friends here who also like the park and maybe meet up with some of you guys through this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
I'm an hour from Hershey, we end up down there throughout the year for different things. Have grown up going to that park. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it as a park, and boy are they beefing up the coasters! But the crowds and the crowd control is just horrible anymore. I won't go in the summer, just May or Sept.

Who has ridden the new coaster? Talk about another love/hate.... it is an amazing, amazing ride. Just everything I love about coasters EXCEPT....and this is a biggie.... the restraint system. When I say I thought my thigh would break, I'm not at all exaggerating. The bar came down right in the center of my thigh. Rather than locking in both directions, it tightened throughout the ride. Meantime, I'm getting MAJOR negative-Gs which would be fantastic on any ride except one where my legs are so tightly locked down. So every time we hit the top of a hill, I would fly up, creating the same force on my leg that's used when you snap a twig. I was honestly horrified. I pray they fix that because it's such a great coaster!
I've ridden the new coaster ten times within the last season and never had a problem with the restraint system or my thighs. However you aren't alone with this issue and it seems to be something that the park is trying at their best to resolve (along with the trains themselves). This is why the ride closed in October and still won't be ready come their Springtime in the Park event.
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!

Last edited by HPCrazy; 03-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill94 View Post
It is so great to see someone else going next week!!! We are planning to go also. I was hoping to get lucky and get a 50 degree day.....Are you concerened about going in 40 degree weather? We are having second thoughts!
LOL! I'm not sure you should be asking me this! We moved up here from southeastern VA. Our perception is it's MUCH MUCH colder here!

But all-in-all, unless there's "precipitation" of some kind, we'll go. DH and I are not big on rides so that doesn't matter much to us. My SIL said they might go with us. That would be her, my neice (14), and my nephew (4). My neice may brave a ride here and there (and I may go with her) and my nephew will ride the little rides. We'll buy refillable cups for the season and probably fill them with hot drinks. Or hop over to Chocolate World for hot chocolate.

We'll go for a while and if it gets too cold, we'll head home. We can always go back!

But, I'm with you, a 50 degree day would be nice!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post

My dd said the same thing. I'm not sure she'd ride it again because of how much she said it hurt.

For me, Hershey Park is just ok. Don't love it or hate but I don't find it worth the cost or dealing with crowds.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Have you ridden the new coaster with the newer restraints? They were replaced last year to help alleviate the problem.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCrazy View Post
Have you ridden the new coaster with the newer restraints? They were replaced last year to help alleviate the problem.
No, but I will. It's an amazing ride otherwise, so I'm not ready to give up on it yet.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: