Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

HERSHEYPARK (Hershey, PA)

Thought this would be the appropriate area to post this topic, away from the Disney sections. Was wondering if any fellow Disney fanatics here live or have visited this cool theme park in Hershey, PA. I visit numerous times every year (live appox 40 min away). If you have visited before or live near it, feel free to discuss about the park below.
HPCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Moved to the area in October and we bought our annual passes. We visited the park once for the Halloween festivities and three times for the Christmas Candylane.

For us the park is a bit of "culture shock" since we have been pass holders for Busch Gardens Williamsburg for many years.

Hersheypark has it's highlights (the Chocolate chief among them). But, to me it doesn't look like much more than a carnival that was permanently installed. Too much asphalt and not enough landscaping (this from a highway engineer) - the park could be so much more.

We will be going for the first opening this Spring (next Friday) and I'm looking forward to maybe seeing a better side of Hersheypark this spring and summer.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Hiwaygal, you will definitely see much more to Hershey in the Spring and Summer. Our favorite time is Spring before the water park part opens. After the water park opens- major crowds. We love Hershey- much, much, much cleaner and friendlier than Six Flags.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

I hope so!

We'll enjoy it regardless (we always enjoy amusement/theme parks). It's just I think we've been a bit spoiled.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Since I first received a season pass three years ago, I virtually do all three seasonal events plus go multiple times in the summer. I'll be there next Saturday (the 30th) and April 6th for their Springtime in the Park event.

Anyone here who lives near the park and would like to meet-up, feel free to PM me!
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCrazy View Post
Thought this would be the appropriate area to post this topic, away from the Disney sections. Was wondering if any fellow Disney fanatics here live or have visited this cool theme park in Hershey, PA. I visit numerous times every year (live appox 40 min away). If you have visited before or live near it, feel free to discuss about the park below.
We've been there three times. I guess what I loved and remember the most is that wonderful chocolate smell that permeates the whole park! I *had* to eat chocolate *all* day!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

We go to Hersheypark once or twice every year. We love it!!!

If we can, we try to rent a cabana at the Boardwalk. OMG...heavenly! I could float in that lazy river the entire day, haha!

We also did the Christmas activities for the first time, this past Christmas (bonus...we stayed at the Hotel Hershey). Hershey does a beautiful job with this event, and we will definitely be going back!

My only wish is that they'd develop some sort of "fast pass" for the water rides during the summer months. There have been times when the lines are an hour (or more) wait. In the sun? No thanks.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We don't go often. My kids aren't big theme park kids. My DS13 will be headed there the first week of June, though, for his 8th grade class trip. We used to go a little more often when they were really little, even if only for Chocolate World. DH's grandmother lived in a senior apartment building on Chocolate Ave that overlooked the park My oldest DS and I did the Hershey Experience a few years ago, and that was fun. We made our own chocolate and did the chocolate tasting in the cafe. It was a nice day.

We live closer to Dorney Park (about 15 minutes away), and we don't go there either. That is by choice, though- we hate it there. We have never had a good experience. In fact, both of my kids opted out of the 7th grade trip there in middle school. They chose to go to work with me rather than go to Dorney!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Pikester
DIS Veteran

My family has been to Hershey Park once back in 2010. We had a good time and the crowds weren't bad when we were there. Planned a meet with some friends I made on the DIS and we all got to tour the park together.

Pikester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
My family has been to Hershey Park once back in 2010. We had a good time and the crowds weren't bad when we were there. Planned a meet with some friends I made on the DIS and we all got to tour the park together.
That's so cool. I would love to do a similar thing. Maybe as I get more involved here come into contact with various members who live in this area and visit the park often. Hey, at least it's something to hold me over until my next visit to Disney lol.
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I really like Hershey Park. My parents live in southern PA, so they're only about a half hour from there. We've driven there several times just to go to Chocolate World, do the "factory" tour, and buy giant candy bars. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Disney, but it's a fun park. Has a little something for everyone. Even my mom, who rides practically nothing, likes several of the attractions there. I also like that you get access to the wildlife park next door.

It also doesn't hurt that the place smells like chocolate, and that the light posts in the town are in the shape of Hershey Kisses.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

I haven't been there in many years but we are planning to go this summer now that the kids are older and can enjoy most of the bigger rides. Just too hard when they are small. My oldest was actually born at Penn St Hershey. I'm about an hour away and closer to Knoebels

Last edited by HelenePA; 03-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachkins View Post
I really like Hershey Park. My parents live in southern PA, so they're only about a half hour from there. We've driven there several times just to go to Chocolate World, do the "factory" tour, and buy giant candy bars. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Disney, but it's a fun park. Has a little something for everyone. Even my mom, who rides practically nothing, likes several of the attractions there. I also like that you get access to the wildlife park next door.

It also doesn't hurt that the place smells like chocolate, and that the light posts in the town are in the shape of Hershey Kisses.
Yeah Chocolate World is a nice place to visit, especially in the off-season. Right now, they're undergoing a building and parking lot expansion. Not a whole lot was said on what new attraction(s), or shopping may be added to the building, but along with that, their 3-D Show is also getting replaced with a brand new 4-D one. I always hit up the place once or twice during the off-season here. Kind of reminds you of Disney a little, but with a "Hershey" twist to it, more like one of the pavilions in Epcot lol.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
Hiwaygal, you will definitely see much more to Hershey in the Spring and Summer. Our favorite time is Spring before the water park part opens. After the water park opens- major crowds. We love Hershey- much, much, much cleaner and friendlier than Six Flags.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I agree, I grew up in the area as a child, and I remember the first time we went to a six flags and wow!!! What a huge disappointment...before this we had only ever been to Hershey Park or WDW, so different. I still have family in the area and we go back about every other year. I will say, they could certainly do a little more with the landscaping and the whole making things "look nice," but still much better than any other theme park I've been to, other than WDW.

I will say, I'm not a fan of the whole pushing Hershey Park to be a destination for vacation though. It was nice a a fun day trip, but it's hard to fit everything in in only 1 day, and that's not even counting the water part. I wish we lived closer and could go more often though.

ETA: I love that it has little things that remind me somewhat of Disney (like the little monorail...holds me over until our real trip lol)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

We live in MD about an hour and a half away and I have been various times as a kid and adult. My husband and I like to stay a few nights at a pet friendly hotel very close to the park. We treat ourselves to dinner at the Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey the evening we arrive and really like the breakfast buffet there so we drive over for breakfast as well. We have done other attractions in the town besides HP and Zoo America. We are not ride people but we find enough to do to enjoy our visits.
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: