Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
DanaMark3boys
Earning My Ears

Keeping kids busy on plane and lines...

Hi! My kids are 8,6 and 1. I am looking for some small things to keep them busy. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but I did a search and couldn't find it.
Anyone have an ideas?
What do you bring along to entertain your kiddies?
Thank you!!
DanaMark3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Here's a recent link and I'm sure there is a bigger thread elsewhere:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post47867889

Re line, searching for hidden Mickeys, planning your next ride, talking about your favorite parts of the day, etc. Some folks hand over iPhones, etc. for playing in line.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

We use Ipads/ kindles and books for the plane ride and for the lines, we just talk and look at the stuff in lines. We generally use fast pass or don't get in lines that are more then 25 minutes or so.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
SA mom
DIS Veteran

One thing that kept our girls busy was a mini barrel full of monkeys game. The barrel was about 2 inches tall and the monkey were about 1/2" in width. Those monkeys played all over WDW.

Other items: string (my daughters always have a piece of string in their pocket) and little pads of paper and pencils/pens.

We also write postcards while waiting in lines.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Movies! That did keep them the best entertained.

But since I was always stuck with the youngest one I didn't get to enjoy the movie like my dh did...sigh...

Anyways, I use dum dum lollpops, gummy candy that I break even smaller. Yes lots of candy it keeps them quiet!

They have used their ds's in the past as well.

The activity books for the older ones. I think I even had one for my younger one. Either the pen uses water & they 'color' the page or the pens (marker) that colors the correct answer (can't remember what they are called).

I am not a fan of crayons/markers in general but I do bring them but I hold the box & give one out at a time & make the child hand me back the one they just used. They roll to easy.

I will say by the time does go by quickly (assuming it is an under 3 hour flight).

By the time you are allowed to put your tray down they are done looking out the window. And then the beverage cart comes out & they have just a short time to do other things (I am thinking the younger/toddler/baby age).

We also go thru SkyMall & play ispy.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears

As for the plane, my boys both have I devices and we also have Kindles, our flight is only 2 hours and the only one I'm worried about is my 5 y.o. but I think his Ipod touch will hopefully do the trick.

As for lines, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but I wait in a lot of lines that aren't theme parks, banks, restaurants, etc....and my 5 year old is getting more mature now and gets embarrassed, but this is what worked when he was 4 and younger: I would ask him if he could hop on one foot, then I would do it too, we would see who could hop the longest, then we jumped rope in place and tried to outdo each other, then we played 'copycat' where I would do something like a jumping jack and he had to copy me, then I might football feet in place while blinking my eyes really fast, crazy things like that. He loved it and I'm sure it was entertaining for those around us, lol. One time at a fast food place, other kids joined in. Good to get the energy out and distracting from long waits too.

Blessings, Michelle
2nd time: In 2005 with dh and ds #1
Upcoming trip: June 2013, with dh, ds #1 (16) and ds#2 (5) and MIL
hardrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Cynt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrocker1 View Post
As for the plane, my boys both have I devices and we also have Kindles, our flight is only 2 hours and the only one I'm worried about is my 5 y.o. but I think his Ipod touch will hopefully do the trick.

As for lines, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but I wait in a lot of lines that aren't theme parks, banks, restaurants, etc....and my 5 year old is getting more mature now and gets embarrassed, but this is what worked when he was 4 and younger: I would ask him if he could hop on one foot, then I would do it too, we would see who could hop the longest, then we jumped rope in place and tried to outdo each other, then we played 'copycat' where I would do something like a jumping jack and he had to copy me, then I might football feet in place while blinking my eyes really fast, crazy things like that. He loved it and I'm sure it was entertaining for those around us, lol. One time at a fast food place, other kids joined in. Good to get the energy out and distracting from long waits too.

Blessings, Michelle
Excellent idea Michelle. I have a super hyper nephew. He's all BOY and has to be moving, touching at all times. Never sits still. I think this will do the trick. Thanks.
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
2binak
DVC Owner

For the plane: triangle crayons (they don't roll!), NEW coloring or activity books, bendaroos and a few new small toys. Movies for the older kids too. Be sure to bring things out one at a time so the kids don't get bored with everything at once and save some things for the flight home.

In line for the older kids: talk about what you've done, what they & you want to do next. If you have a smartphone, download a parks app and look through that with the kids.

In line for the 1 yr old: a few new small toys, small books & some snacks.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT,11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
vming
Earning My Ears

Bendaroos, they make "people" who they take pictures of propped against locations (like flat stanley)with their ipod cameras and post to instagram, my older ones like playing cards games like 21, chinese jump rope for cats cradle, making lanyards. good luck!
vming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
sb682
DIS Veteran

DS3 looks forward to watching DVDs on plane/car trips, but he also does those Magic Pen coloring pads (usually sold in airport gift shops, I saw some at CVS the other day, and also at AC Moore), Color Wonder, and his toy cars and trains.

We went on EasyWDW's recommended park days and followed his touring plans. This was the off season, but we never waited more than 15 minutes for anything. And kids can be surprisingly patient when waiting for rides. DS never complained, and my younger brother (who is severely autistic) would gladly wait 30-45 minutes in the summer for a ride, but he gets antsy waiting more than 3-5 minutes anywhere else.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
stormer
DIS Veteran

We bought the Hidden Mickey app for our last trip. My kids loved using it while we waited on lines or sat down to eat. They would check out all of the HM in the area. The app has a spot to check off all of the ones you find too.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Timandalicia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMark3boys View Post
Hi! My kids are 8,6 and 1. I am looking for some small things to keep them busy. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but I did a search and couldn't find it.
Anyone have an ideas?
What do you bring along to entertain your kiddies?
Thank you!!
Of course iPods. But what else? Food. Heck, I bring my kids hungry to Target and give them a bag of snacks. Also, do a google search for summer camp games. There are tons of them that don't require any materials or even movement. There is this counting game where the whole family has to count to 10, each taking a turn in random order, saying only one number, and if you say a number at the same time as someone else, you have to start over. We laugh our heads off. Looking up these games was the best thing we could have ever done for lines, and it keeps our family interactive in this age of Angry Birds.
Timandalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Christen99
Wet behind the ears

We are flying a red eye from CA with a two hour layover thrown for fun. My youngest (8) has only flown a few times as an infant, so doesn't remember it, and my oldest did a lot of flying until the youngest came along when he was 5.

The have done some really long car trips though, so they're used to longer travel which I hope will have helped. I hope lol.

For my youngest, I load his Nook with some new books because he is a voracious reader. I also get him a couple of quiet activities, such as a Lego Minifigure sticker book, Sudoku, crossword puzzles, etc. I also keep some snacks and gum on hand as well. He does have an iPad, but only uses is for 20 minutes per day so it's a huge novelty. I load movies on it, and there are educational apps on it, so he may watch a movie at some point. I think the plane will be a novelty, but I'm hoping the white noise will put the boy to sleep. Probably not, but I can hope!

This trip is a surprise, and today I bought a couple of copies of the Ultimate Disney Guide and a Hidden Mickey book to read as well.
Christen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

Lots of new things to look at and play with and we take a red eye of we can so sleep can be an activity too!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

When my kids were little, for the plane I'd bring a few books, some crayons and a coloring book, and some small toys (mostly new stuff I picked up at the $1 area in Target). Now that they're a little older (6 and 9) I hand them an empty backpack and they're in charge of packing their own carry on. That way they have things they want (and I'll stash one or two tiny things in my bag as emergency back up!).

On line, we play I Spy, talk about the ride, talk about what we want to do later in the day, look for hidden Mickeys, etc. When they were stroller age I might have a small toy or two in my bag along with a few healthy snacks but these days they're old enough to do without, IMO.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: