Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
wenpop
DIS Veteran

Starting out in Frontierland

Riding Splash Mt and Thunder Mt first, Is that a good plan? Touring plans keeps sending me to Tomorrowland first.... and getting fast passes and stuff... I have two teenagers and they want to ride the big rides first.... any suggestions....

Dec 2009 All Star Sports
2008Pop
2007 Pop
2002 POR
2000 All Star Sports

Last edited by wenpop; 03-27-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: day dreaming about disney
wenpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
LadyLuck24
Mouseketeer

I don't usually use any touring plans or crowd calendars, just usually go at "slower" times of year and arrive at the park early. If you get there early, you can really go on anything you want at first before the park gets busy. We always go to Frontierland first too Bc BTMRR is my favorite and everyone else loves Splash. Then we head back towards Adventureland. Probably the reason Touring Plans takes you to Tomorrowland first is because the Space Mountain fast passes & standby get busier faster. But if your kids and you like Frontierland & its rides better than Tomorrowland, head to the left first and have fun!
LadyLuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenpop View Post
Riding Splash Mt and Thunder Mt first, Is that a good plan? Touring plans keeps sending me to Tomorrowland first.... and getting fast passes and stuff... I have two teenagers and they want to ride the big rides first.... any suggestions....
Yes, that is a good choice. Your going to laugh, but studies show that humans tend to be right handed and head to the right first. That means (and when I think of it they are right) most people will head to Tomorrowland first. It's just nature and what we do. You should be able to do both pretty quickly at RD.

Once finished, I would grab FP for Space Mountain (send one or both kids to get them and return). Then you can do Haunted Mansion and maybe a few more things on your way over there. I assume you don't plan to do ETWB since you have teens.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
wenpop
DIS Veteran

Well we will be there in 2 weeks.. might be kinda busy... we just want to spend our time wisely...
thank you all for the help!!

Dec 2009 All Star Sports
2008Pop
2007 Pop
2002 POR
2000 All Star Sports

Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
GroupB
Earning My Ears

I've used that plan during a Christmas trip in 2009. My family and I arrived at rope drop and had no problems. We rode BTMRR first then waited about 10 minutes for Splash. That was where the short lines ended though... I made my family wait 40+ minutes for CoP. I love it but my younger siblings weren't happy with me.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Depending on time of year and weather, Splash first thing in the morning might leave y'all a bit chilly.

Should be vacant over there though, so thats a plus.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
wenpop
DIS Veteran

We will be down there in two weeks.... I have heard it might be a bit busy during that week, but hopefully we can do all the big things and then enjoy the rest of the day...

Dec 2009 All Star Sports
2008Pop
2007 Pop
2002 POR
2000 All Star Sports

Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

We have done that a couple times and it worked out well for us. =) I will agree with the poster that says that Splash Mountain can be a bit chilly in the morning, but we are from NH and it didn't really bother us at all.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Space Mountain is considered a big ride and that's why they send you there first to get FPs. Do your boys not want to ride that one too?

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
lroger01
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind that Splash is a long ride. 10 minutes once you're in the log, plus 5 minutes or so to walk through the queue. You might get more out of your morning just fast passing it and riding later when it's warmer and the lines are long everywhere.

First thing in the morning I think you can get in 3 or 4 rides on Big Thunder in the time it takes to do 1 ride on Splash.

Just something to think about.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

This is our typical plan for at least 1 of our MK days. We ride BTMRR several times in a row with little wait, catch a ride on splash and then go grab a fastpass for SM if it is busy then head for Adventure Land. On slow days we will wait until later to faspass SM. My DD is 9 and really could care less about Fantasyland, and typically we can grab a fastpass for the other Tomorrowland attractions at some point later in the day without much trouble. Trying to fit in New Fantasyland will likely change this plan up a bit for us next trip however. The first time we did it was a passholder preview so it didn't realy factor in. I think we will pick one MK day to do it first and one day to head to Adventureland first.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroger01 View Post
Keep in mind that Splash is a long ride. 10 minutes once you're in the log, plus 5 minutes or so to walk through the queue. You might get more out of your morning just fast passing it and riding later when it's warmer and the lines are long everywhere.

First thing in the morning I think you can get in 3 or 4 rides on Big Thunder in the time it takes to do 1 ride on Splash.

Just something to think about.
You are correct. You can do BTMRR 3-4 times in the time it takes to ride SM. That is why we hit BTMRR first.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenpop View Post
We will be down there in two weeks.... I have heard it might be a bit busy during that week, but hopefully we can do all the big things and then enjoy the rest of the day...
Crowd calendar drops considerably on April 7, you should be fine. That's why we are driving up Sat the 6th so we can watch everyone else go home on Sunday as we go to the parks Hotels drop 40% in price overnight.

Seriously it won't be empty but it shouldn't be too crowded.
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanerice View Post
Crowd calendar drops considerably on April 7, you should be fine. That's why we are driving up Sat the 6th so we can watch everyone else go home on Sunday as we go to the parks Hotels drop 40% in price overnight.

Seriously it won't be empty but it shouldn't be too crowded.
Duane
EasyWDW has the crowd level going from a 9 on April 6 to a 6 on April 7, then to 5s for the 8th-12th.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
jpfiff
Earning My Ears

We are arriving around the same time..and we typically do the same week everyother year...it is not over-crowded.

fp one of them then do each of them as many times as you can until the lines start to form...then go back in the evening

And the first few times we went we went to the right with no plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: