Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Didn't realize that... it goes to show that the different brand dSLRs may indeed have some different strengths and weaknesses, but the differences are not night and day.
Though I am hearing more people complain about Canon sensors falling behind... It's still not as if the difference is that huge.
IMHO, as long as you compare cameras of like capabilities (APS-C to APS-C, FF to FF, etc.), in the real world there's probably a nickels difference between them. With today's cameras, lenses and the capability of the photographer make the difference. I see images here that make me drool with envy of the talent. Again this Is just my opinion.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Why does everyone worry about test numbers from DXO? Maybe we should tell Leica owners they have the worst cameras since DXO rates them the worst FF tested. I don't know how they make such magical photos.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
IMHO, as long as you compare cameras of like capabilities (APS-C to APS-C, FF to FF, etc.), in the real world there's probably a nickels difference between them. With today's cameras, lenses and the capability of the photographer make the difference. I see images here that make me drool with envy of the talent. Again this Is just my opinion.
Agreed. And very few of us (certainly not me) are even using our cameras to their fullest potential.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
TC09
Hidden Mickey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
The Nikon1 sensor is made by a different company, Aptina..so not all Nikon's use Sony sensors.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10...compact-camera

Although it appears that Aptina is very grateful that Sony has validated the marketplace for 1" sensors with Sony's RX100.
Wanted to add to your post that the Nikon D5200 has a sensor that's also made by a different company... Toshiba. (NikonRumors; Chipworks page isn't working right now.)
TC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
The Nikon1 sensor is made by a different company, Aptina..so not all Nikon's use Sony sensors.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10...compact-camera

Although it appears that Aptina is very grateful that Sony has validated the marketplace for 1" sensors with Sony's RX100.
And guess they were afraid of patent lawsuits against each other, because Sony and Aptina recently announced they were going to share all their sensor technology:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...ent-portfolios
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
A t5i already? Didn't the t4i just get here?
The big new looks like the SL1, as a true dSLR to compete with mirrorless in terms of size.
Yes and no but mostly no. A Panasonic G3 with 12-35 f/2.8 weighs 1 lb 9 oz, that's less than Canon's equivalent 24-70 f/2.8 by itself and only a little more than Canon's 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/4. I like what Canon has done with the camera but the good lenses will continue to be large and heavy. Even Canon's EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 (a good lens for the SL1) is well over a pound.

Funny enough, the next gen of Panasonic micro 4/3 is rumored to be larger than the current models.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill..." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

I was just about to buy a T4i as a back up body. Glad I waited. Hopefully now with the release of the t5 the price of the T4i will be lower.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: