Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #691
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I'm definitely the competitive type. I have to disagree with PRing at Disney but for completely different reasons. It's not a good course for it. If you're really trying to PR, you want something flat and fast. This isn't Disney. I'd also say the last few miles are the worst for attempting a PR with the extremely narrow walkway between HS and the boardwalk, the "bridges," wooden boardwalk, tight turns, and dodging guests jumping across the course at 9am in Epcot. I always consider my Disney runs events not races and try to soak up as much magic as possible.

I beg to differ. I did my first Goofy in 2012. I ignored the characters during the half marathon (save for one shot with Chip & Dale) and HANDILY got a PR at 1:49:29. (My best training runs were always only single-digit minutes under 2 hours.)

For the full marathon, I took almost ALL of the character pictures (I ignored Marie in France ) and *still* came in with a PR of 4:08:22, besting my previous PR by over 15 minutes.

That said, though, if you want to soak up all the Disney magic, especially taking pictures with the characters, don't kill yourself trying to get a PR. (And I have come to the conclusion that my quest for sub-4:00 is *not* something I should get worked up over at Disney. I enjoy the extra stopping too much for it to be realistic at my pace.)
boxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #692
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTKD View Post
All the stuff that goes along with the race is stupid expensive. ChEAR squad, race retreat, breakfast, pasta dinner... Sheesh.
We never do these pricey add-ons. Race fees are bad enough.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #693
so_oregon
Disney Cruise Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
PRing is not a goal at any Disney race for myself and I have no overwhelming feelings regarding medals, character stops or going through the Parks. DW and I enjoy WDW and including a race when we visit is simply a bonus.

My only required stop is McDonald's for my M&M McFlurry. This year's Marathon was my first opportunity for the stop and as long as Disney continues with this course I will continue to stop, even if a 2010 weather condition exists.

McFlurry John
okay, I haven't been to WDW since the year it opened...so tell me about this McD's stop!!

12/02 Norwegian Wind
12/06 Norwegian Wind
2/1/09 - Celebrity Solstice
9/19/09 - Disney Magic
5/27/10 - Disneyland trip
7/29-8/1/10 Disneyland
11/6/10 Celebrity Summit
1/23/11 - Disney Magic

so_oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #694
so_oregon
Disney Cruise Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
My wife and I are going to be running Dopey this year, and are trying to figure out what the best resorts to stay at will be. We are looking at the Deluxe level, and figure that being at the EPCOT area would be convenient to enable us to walk to and from the start areas.

Anybody have recommendations between Beach or Yacht Club Resort or Villas, and Boardwalk Inn or Villas?

Is staying in the EPCOT area actually beneficial on race days? Will we be able to walk to the start, or are we unable to get there due to the park being closed that early? Will buses run to the start if we can't walk?

Apologies if wrong thread...

Dan
My daughter and I are at Beach Club, so that will be the equivalent of the "cool kids table" from high school.

I chose based on the fitness center and pool (quiet), plus being able to walk anywhere. This is her birthday, Xmas gifts for about 10 years, so want it to be fairly quiet, easy to find, and still fun.

And Beaches/Cream after the race, it is!!

12/02 Norwegian Wind
12/06 Norwegian Wind
2/1/09 - Celebrity Solstice
9/19/09 - Disney Magic
5/27/10 - Disneyland trip
7/29-8/1/10 Disneyland
11/6/10 Celebrity Summit
1/23/11 - Disney Magic

so_oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #695
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_oregon View Post
okay, I haven't been to WDW since the year it opened...so tell me about this McD's stop!!
We exit AK onto Osceola Pkwy and shortly before mile 15 is the exit for the AS Resorts. Down the ramp, across the street is McD's. Only a little extra distance and time added to the Marathon.

McFlurry John

BTW, the M&M McFlurry is my favorite.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #696
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We exit AK onto Osceola Pkwy and shortly before mile 15 is the exit for the AS Resorts. Down the ramp, across the street is McD's. Only a little extra distance and time added to the Marathon.

McFlurry John

Pffft. Oreo. With caramel sauce added.

Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #697
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmaster View Post
I beg to differ. I did my first Goofy in 2012. I ignored the characters during the half marathon (save for one shot with Chip & Dale) and HANDILY got a PR at 1:49:29. (My best training runs were always only single-digit minutes under 2 hours.)

For the full marathon, I took almost ALL of the character pictures (I ignored Marie in France ) and *still* came in with a PR of 4:08:22, besting my previous PR by over 15 minutes.

That said, though, if you want to soak up all the Disney magic, especially taking pictures with the characters, don't kill yourself trying to get a PR. (And I have come to the conclusion that my quest for sub-4:00 is *not* something I should get worked up over at Disney. I enjoy the extra stopping too much for it to be realistic at my pace.)
Oh I certainly wasn't saying you couldn't PR. Only that the course isn't ideal. If I'm going to a PR or attempting to qualify for Boston (one day ::sigh:, I want something flat and likely an out and back. These are marvelous times and something I'm currently training for this year! Darn if I continue to miss the elusive 2 hour 1/2 PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_oregon View Post
My daughter and I are at Beach Club, so that will be the equivalent of the "cool kids table" from high school.

I chose based on the fitness center and pool (quiet), plus being able to walk anywhere. This is her birthday, Xmas gifts for about 10 years, so want it to be fairly quiet, easy to find, and still fun.

And Beaches/Cream after the race, it is!!
Sweet! We'll be at YC.

Quote:

McFlurry John

I do hope you take pics! I'd love to catch this. My FIL exited the course here one year too (2005) but headed back to his hotel ASM!!!
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #698
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

McFlurry John

This is a someday goal for me...to be fast enough to hop on down to McDonalds for a McFlurry. This year it was too hot and the pace was a like a snail I really didn't have the time nor the desire to add the time for that.

If I am fast enough someday, that will be my goal and I think I would have the MM one too.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #699
JoeKir
Mouseketeer

That is amazing! I would love to see pics of that lol.

As for hotel reservations, does anyone have any recommendations? We've stayed at Coronado and ASM and leaning towards Value resorts if possible, just not sure which one is most convenient on race day.

Thanks!
2014: Registered for Dopey Challenge!
Inspire Fit Living Facebook Page
Dopey Challenge Training Group - looking for friends to run with us!
JoeKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #700
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKir View Post
That is amazing! I would love to see pics of that lol.

As for hotel reservations, does anyone have any recommendations? We've stayed at Coronado and ASM and leaning towards Value resorts if possible, just not sure which one is most convenient on race day.

Thanks!
I don't think there is a hotel that is more convenient. They all offer bus service however I do believe, and I am not 100% sure on this one, that the Dolphin and Swan have more frequent services (they are hotels in Epcot that are run by Sheraton/Westin).

If you are considering Value than I would book them straight away if they still have availablility. I remember seeing that the end of the race that they had quite a few buses lined up to take runners back.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #701
garner384
Earning My Ears

Below is a jumbled mess of a post that I just wanted to get written, sorry for rambling.
So I am finally back to running consistently for the first time since the Goofy this year.
I had a hard time motivating myself between the Detroit Marathon in October and the Goofy. Because of that my Goofy results were not what I wanted them to be. After the Goofy I had a even harder time finding motivation, I basically took 4 months off. Now I need to lose 15-25 pounds and get back into running shape.

My longest run has been 4 miles and I have been running 3 days a week. This week I am adding a fourth day to my training and I am hoping to find time for strength training. I am running the Detroit Marathon this October again and want to start that training at the end of June. but I need to be able to run more than 4 miles for that to happen.

Hopefully I can lose the wieght and be ready to do the Dopey by January.
garner384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #702
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner384 View Post
Below is a jumbled mess of a post that I just wanted to get written, sorry for rambling.
So I am finally back to running consistently for the first time since the Goofy this year.
I had a hard time motivating myself between the Detroit Marathon in October and the Goofy. Because of that my Goofy results were not what I wanted them to be. After the Goofy I had a even harder time finding motivation, I basically took 4 months off. Now I need to lose 15-25 pounds and get back into running shape.

My longest run has been 4 miles and I have been running 3 days a week. This week I am adding a fourth day to my training and I am hoping to find time for strength training. I am running the Detroit Marathon this October again and want to start that training at the end of June. but I need to be able to run more than 4 miles for that to happen.

Hopefully I can lose the wieght and be ready to do the Dopey by January.

You ABSOLUTELY can! It took me awhile to get my running legs back below me after my first Goofy. Took me even longer to get running post-baby. You took the first step in venting your frustrations and getting a plan in place.

Thoughts on Detroit? DH is from Detroit and asked me to run it this year so we can visit with family. Not so sure I can handle Detroit (Oct), Savannah (Nov) & Dopey.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #703
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Hope everyone is doing well. I ran 35 miles this past week, including a 15 mile run in the rain, which was sort of fun, if you like not being able to see, lol.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #704
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Just an FYI, and maybe it's on me and I missed something but...

I submitted a 10K time for the Wine & Dine half marathon and asked that it also be used for the WDW Half Marathon portion of the Dopey, and was told that only 10 Mile+ times are acceptable for any portion of the Dopey. I will have a half marathon time to submit later this summer but just wanted to clarify in case it wasn't clear that there's no sense in submitting anything less than 10 miles.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #705
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Hope everyone is doing well. I ran 35 miles this past week, including a 15 mile run in the rain, which was sort of fun, if you like not being able to see, lol.
A morning Spring run with light rain/mist is fantastic. A run in hard-blinding rain...not so great.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: