Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #571
Stroller Boy
'I think it was the immortal words of Socrates who said..I drank what?'

You realize that they have been giving finishers medals to people that have been swept for the past couple years, right? All I'm saying is that I think they have gone with the feeling that you paid your money and its really on you to try and meet the requirements. I haven't heard them giving goofy medals to swept folks, but wouldn't be shocked..

I'd love to see them enforce corral qualifying times and finishing times only giving medals to those who meet the requirements but again, it never took away from my accomplishment. I remember them doing the check-in wristband thing for goofy a couple years back but guessing they had a lot of cost and overhead along with problems... I handle registration for a race so I definitely get that! Can't make everyone happy no matter what ya do.

Anyhoo, I'm really excited about the official Dopey and seeing what kind of combined time I can do, safely.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #572
tmahaffey
Earning My Ears

I have a question, unrelated to time limits for the Dopey. I may be in the wrong spot though. I am signed up for the Dopey Challenge and I have never been to Disney before. With that being said, I am not a rollercoaster/ride person. Is there plenty to do without going to the theme parks? I hate to pay $80+ to just walk around and kill time...and I am completely unfamiliar with the area. I'm mainly concerned with having something to do on Thursday and Friday, since I will be finished and back to the room before my family wakes up

Thank you for any suggestions!
tmahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #573
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmahaffey View Post
I have a question, unrelated to time limits for the Dopey. I may be in the wrong spot though. I am signed up for the Dopey Challenge and I have never been to Disney before. With that being said, I am not a rollercoaster/ride person. Is there plenty to do without going to the theme parks? I hate to pay $80+ to just walk around and kill time...and I am completely unfamiliar with the area. I'm mainly concerned with having something to do on Thursday and Friday, since I will be finished and back to the room before my family wakes up

Thank you for any suggestions!
It depends where you are staying, but yes, of course. A lot of the resorts have marinas if you like boating, you can rent bicycles, horseback ride, do archery or other activities, check out the animals at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, swim, go fishing, etc. There is lots and lots to do on property without going to the parks.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #574
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
What they could do is to require Dopey runners to get a bracelet at the end of the 5k, 10k and half, and to exchange them in for their medal after the full.
I think a lot of us would like to see them go back to this approach. It not only helps cut down on the people who get swept that still show up for their Goofy medal on Sunday, it also makes you feel like part of a private club as you walk around at night nodding at people with a similar wristband.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #575
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
What they could do is to require Dopey runners to get a bracelet at the end of the 5k, 10k and half, and to exchange them in for their medal after the full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Isnt that how they did the goofy a few years ago? It sounds like a solid plan to me.
This is how they marked the Coast to Coast racers in DLR in 2011 and 2012. Makes sense to me. Which, using Disney Logic means that this will be the complete opposite of what they do.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #576
ironz
could always use some pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I think a lot of us would like to see them go back to this approach. It not only helps cut down on the people who get swept that still show up for their Goofy medal on Sunday, it also makes you feel like part of a private club as you walk around at night nodding at people with a similar wristband.
At least in 2012, when I DNF'd the marathon and rode a sweeper bus back to Epcot, they gave me a Mickey medal (I didn't want it, but they were very persistent, and I didn't want to be rude to the volunteers, as they were just doing what they were instructed---I obviously don't count it as a finish), but they specifically said that I would NOT get a Goofy medal after being swept. Nor did I want a Goofy medal...I didn't even want the Mickey...just wanted a margarita and ice on my injured foot and hip.

I liked the wristband system of 2010.

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #577
swimfly
Mouseketeer

I hated the wristband system! I can't stand having anything on my body when I'm running especially not the scratchy papery wristband. It also didn't work. They were handing out medals to people who did not cross the finish line on their own merits and people were running under "purchased" bibs. I can wear my medal after the race to be a part of the "club." I guess I really don't care if people are receiving the medals who didn't complete the challenge. That's on them and doesn't diminish my medal or accomplishment in any way.

Strange timing note... I was out for sushi w/hubs this weekend and saw someone wearing the Goofy Challenge tech shirt. Struck up a conversation about whether they would run the Dopey Challenge and we just chatted away. When she left the table her boyfriend admitted she had scored the tech shirt from the lost and found at the gym. Really?!?!
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #578
Stroller Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post

Strange timing note... I was out for sushi w/hubs this weekend and saw someone wearing the Goofy Challenge tech shirt. Struck up a conversation about whether they would run the Dopey Challenge and we just chatted away. When she left the table her boyfriend admitted she had scored the tech shirt from the lost and found at the gym. Really?!?!
Now THAT's pretty shady! I've seen a Goofy shirt or two here in CT, but think its still a relatively exclusive club. I know it's bad to think this, perhaps the competitive side of me, but I'd like to see a ranked combined time listing for it. Of course, then you'd have people dropping dead from pushing too hard...but I still secretly would like to see it. ;-)

I've only done one Goofy but more of a cost thing than anything. I was just going to sign up for anniversary years, but couldn't hold off with the Dopey going official.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #579
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I was out for sushi w/hubs this weekend and saw someone wearing the Goofy Challenge tech shirt. Struck up a conversation about whether they would run the Dopey Challenge and we just chatted away. When she left the table her boyfriend admitted she had scored the tech shirt from the lost and found at the gym. Really?!?!
They sell those at the outlet stores after race weekend, so there will be plenty of non-runners wearing them.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #580
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
They sell those at the outlet stores after race weekend, so there will be plenty of non-runners wearing them.
I've seen the ones that they sell at the expo at the outlets, but never the race shirt.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #581
Stroller Boy

Quote:

Outlet stores? I've never heard of this, do tell! Is this an online thing after the race or just a local Florida thing? There are times where I've wanted an extra shirt or the like...this would be nice. Of course. I wouldn't be buying shirts for races that I didn't actually run...but that's just me...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #582
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

They were the ones I've seen in Race Reports so I assume they're the ones you get in your race packet. Here's an example:

There are Disney's Character Warehouse stores in the outlet mall on 192 near Downtown Disney...

...and the other Premier Outlet on International Drive near Universal.

I saw them at both on March 20th. They were in the $20-$25 range.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #583
Stroller Boy

Quote:
They were the ones I've seen in Race Reports so I assume they're the ones you get in your race packet. Here's an example:

There are Disney's Character Warehouse stores in the outlet mall on 192 near Downtown Disney...

...and the other Premier Outlet on International Drive near Universal.

I saw them at both on March 20th. They were in the $20-$25 range.
Thanks, I just got back from Disney a couple days ago but maybe ill take a swing by when I'm down in August.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #584
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I love this idea.....really the only ones that should be wearing the Goofy or Dopey medals are those that finished in the time limit.
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #585
mickeyd78
Mouseketeer

Just saw the Dopey Challenge training plan. The plan is the same as the Goofy plan up to week 15. Then in week 16 there are 5 training sessions.
  • Tuesday 20-30 minutes,
  • Thursday 30-45 minutes,
  • Friday Walk 2 miles,
  • Saturday Walk 7 miles,
  • Sunday 17 miles run/walk

Week 17 drops back to the usual 3 sessions (2x30-45 min and a 5 mile on Sat)

Looks like every third week is a 5 session week, peaking in week 25 (17 December) with
  • Tuesday (17 Dec) 20-30 minutes
  • Thursday (19 Dec) 30-45 minutes
  • Friday (20 Dec) Walk 5 miles
  • Saturday (21 Dec) Walk 12 miles
  • Sunday (22 Dec) 26 miles run/walk
Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
Apr '10 Pop Century
Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
Oct '08 Pop Century
March 2007 - Pop Century
Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon