Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #556
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Or maybe they are getting their races confused. You say Dopey, and they hear Dumbo?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #557
TorontoGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
Or maybe they are getting their races confused. You say Dopey, and they hear Dumbo?
Well I specifically say Marathon weekend in January during the conversation and I got the 5:30am separate race info last week and the 6:15 with everyone else info this week
Early 1990s-Offsite? MK & EPCOT, Oct 08–WDW–Honeymoon–All-Star Music-Jazz, Mar 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz&Broadway & DCL–7 Night Western-Magic, Feb 10–WDW–All Star Movies-Dalmatians, Oct 10–DCL–7 Night Eastern-Magic, Mar 11-WDW-All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 11-DCL-4 Night Bahamas-Dream & WDW - Pop, Dec 11-WDW-All Star Sports-Tennis, Feb 29 - 24hrs in MK!, May 13-EEC, Oct 14-ToT10Miler, Jan 15-Dopey Challange
TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #558
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Starting time and corral placement for the 5K should not be an issue. I would think the first corral would be restricticted to Dopey racers with all others to follow in the remaining corrals.

Since the 5K would have to be chipped for those doing Dopey, it matters not where a racer starts unless an individual is going for a first place. I am sure there are Dopey racers who will want to be with their family members during the 5K and I am also sure many family members are slower than the Dopey racer thus requiring a starting corral of C or D.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #559
homerjay316
Unofficial OWACA Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I am sure there are Dopey racers who will want to be with their family members during the 5K and I am also sure many family members are slower than the Dopey racer thus requiring a starting corral of C or D.
That's me! I will be awfully disappointed if I am running a different 5k than my wife. We were hoping to run it together.

I have very little experience with competitive running, but I would assume the mats would be on the whole time. People can run over them with or without a tag.

Donald is my favorite, sorry Mickey.
homerjay316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #560
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

I hope they roll out the 5:30 start time as an option but I can see why it's being thrown around for dopey runners. We start at 5:30 and must keep a 16 min pace because if the timing rules. All dopey runners would they theoretically be off the course in 48-50 minutes right as the 6:15 5k starts.

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
camandjacksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #561
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
I hope they roll out the 5:30 start time as an option but I can see why it's being thrown around for dopey runners. We start at 5:30 and must keep a 16 min pace because if the timing rules. All dopey runners would they theoretically be off the course in 48-50 minutes right as the 6:15 5k starts.
Unless there is a dramatic change with the actual pace time requirements compared to the last 3 years, there would not be a 16mpm pace needed in any race to be Officially Dopey. There had not been any checking of finishing within the 3:30 for the half and 7:00 for the full in order to receive the Goofy Medal for 2011, 2012 or 2013.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #562
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

My response had nothing to do with qualifying for medals but to the fact that if dopeys started earlier we would be off the course so families could enjoy the family fun run without 6000 plus dopey runners.

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
camandjacksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #563
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
My response had nothing to do with qualifying for medals but to the fact that if dopeys started earlier we would be off the course so families could enjoy the family fun run without 6000 plus dopey runners.
I can see where you are coming from regarding clearing the course but a 5:30 start would not be needed for 6,000 extra people since waves could have 2,000 to 2,500 per wave with a 5 minute interval start even if all 6,000 were Dopey specific.

As homerjay316 alluded to since he wants to be with his wife for her 5K, a 5:30 specific Dopey start would not allow for it if the mats only worked for that start and finish. A 6:15 start would be fine for Dopey specific in corral A, 6:20 for corral B, 6:25 for corral C then at 6:30 the start for the Family 5K plus remaining Dopey racers who want to be with family members with mats still working until the last person starts and finishes.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #564
Stroller Boy
'I think it was the immortal words of Socrates who said..I drank what?'

I'm wondering if they are going to time the 5k at all. I get why people would think this, but they haven't been all that strict about time for Goofy's so I'm wondering if it'll be like that where as long as you finish and don't get swept, then you get your medals. Why enforce the rule for a small % of those that might not make the time. Sure it's the principle of the thing but for the extra cost in managing and tracking it...probably not worth it for them.

Personally, I'm not one to take advantage of the lax rules but it doesn't take away from my accomplishment either. I am curious to how they handle this as well as the stricter qualifying times for corral placement. Time will tell I suppose. :-)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #565
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroller Boy View Post
I'm wondering if they are going to time the 5k at all. I get why people would think this, but they haven't been all that strict about time for Goofy's so I'm wondering if it'll be like that where as long as you finish and don't get swept, then you get your medals. Why enforce the rule for a small % of those that might not make the time. Sure it's the principle of the thing but for the extra cost in managing and tracking it...probably not worth it for them.

Personally, I'm not one to take advantage of the lax rules but it doesn't take away from my accomplishment either. I am curious to how they handle this as well as the stricter qualifying times for corral placement. Time will tell I suppose. :-)
The unofficial Dopey I have completed the last 3 years has been based on the honor system in that I completed the 5K along with the half and full both completed within required time limits.

Now that Dopey is being officially recognized and it includes a 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon, I would think the timing requirements of maintaining a 16mpm pace and finishing within the time limits will finally have to be met with the only way to substantiate this is the use of timing mats and timing chips to worn by the racers. Without the verification by computer, it would be possible for racers to never show up for a race and still be considered as a finisher.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #566
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
The unofficial Dopey I have completed the last 3 years has been based on the honor system in that I completed the 5K along with the half and full both completed within required time limits.

Now that Dopey is being officially recognized and it includes a 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon, I would think the timing requirements of maintaining a 16mpm pace and finishing within the time limits will finally have to be met with the only way to substantiate this is the use of timing mats and timing chips to worn by the racers. Without the verification by computer, it would be possible for racers to never show up for a race and still be considered as a finisher.
Even if they did have timing mats, picking up a medal for Goofy/Dopey is always going to be on the honor system.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #567
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Yea, we will need to know for sure if they are doing anything special for dopey on the 5k and 10k. Since there really hasnt been a pace requirement for the 5k, I wonder how they will really do that for the dopey except maybe chip it just to prove you took the start and finish and who cares what the time is so it wont mess people up that are possibly even walking the 5k, and maybe even the 10k at a slow running pace perhaps with some other family members. Guess we shall see.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #568
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

What they could do is to require Dopey runners to get a bracelet at the end of the 5k, 10k and half, and to exchange them in for their medal after the full.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #569
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
What they could do is to require Dopey runners to get a bracelet at the end of the 5k, 10k and half, and to exchange them in for their medal after the full.
Isnt that how they did the goofy a few years ago? It sounds like a solid plan to me.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #570
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Even if they did have timing mats, picking up a medal for Goofy/Dopey is always going to be on the honor system.
Hopefully this would not continue to be SOP. I'm all for time verification except for the 5K. It makes the event more challenging and meaningful but I can foresee troubles arising.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: