Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #511
swimfly
Mouseketeer

I think with the Goofy being part of the Dopey it will sell out even faster next year. Seen lots of people indicating with the upcoming 10th anniversary of Goofy they are waiting until 2015 for Dopey.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #512
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I'm registered for the full,I'm also glad the two races/challenges,(the full and the Goofy)that appeal most to me are the ones that take the longest to sell out.I'm likely to try the Goofy for 2015 for the anniversary but I'll stick to only the full for 2014.The more I think about getting up at 2am four days in a row for the Dopey the more I'll be in awe of all the Dopeys with their 6 shirts and medals running around the parks.Just wondering what do you guys think will happen next year,will Dopey still sell out super fast or will there be more runners only opting to do the Goofy for the anniversary,making that one go a lot faster.
I love your 'location' btw...233 miles away! So from where I am, you are in the ocean somewhere I gather. I just thought that was funny.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #513
Silvy Porker
Earning My Ears

Dopey numbers

I did Goofy last year and have signed up for Dopey - which I see is nearly sold out. Anybody know the entry limit? I have asked Disney but they said they couldn't disclose this info! Not sure why it is classified information but would just be interested to know how many Dopey people there are out there!
Silvy Porker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #514
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvy Porker View Post
I did Goofy last year and have signed up for Dopey - which I see is nearly sold out. Anybody know the entry limit? I have asked Disney but they said they couldn't disclose this info! Not sure why it is classified information but would just be interested to know how many Dopey people there are out there!
I saw someone post that they were told there would be 4000 Dopey spots. I don't believe that has been confirmed anywhere though.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #515
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
I saw someone post that they were told there would be 4000 Dopey spots. I don't believe that has been confirmed anywhere though.
I believe it's 6000 Dopey, 7000 Goofy.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #516
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

I am only signed up for full (ha, I can't believe I am saying "only"), but I have been reading through this thread just because I am in awe of all you guys!

A thought occurred to me just now. Do you think there could be enough drop outs or injuries from the Dopey this year that Disney would consider not trying it again in 2015? Or, does Disney just see the $$ from this and not care how many people actually complete it?

I know there has been some debate on this before, but my question also brings up another; how lenient/strict are they going to be on awarding medals at the end for those who didn't finish each event?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #517
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles View Post
I am only signed up for full (ha, I can't believe I am saying "only"), but I have been reading through this thread just because I am in awe of all you guys!

A thought occurred to me just now. Do you think there could be enough drop outs or injuries from the Dopey this year that Disney would consider not trying it again in 2015? Or, does Disney just see the $$ from this and not care how many people actually complete it?

I know there has been some debate on this before, but my question also brings up another; how lenient/strict are they going to be on awarding medals at the end for those who didn't finish each event?
Disney does follow the $$ usually, but not always.

The last couple attempts at a relay style race (Wine & Dine or Chip & Dale) both had short lives (2 and 1 years, respectively).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #518
roomthreeseventeen

94% this morning.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #519
TorontoGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
Disney does follow the $$ usually, but not always.

The last couple attempts at a relay style race (Wine & Dine or Chip & Dale) both had short lives (2 and 1 years, respectively).
The W&D and C&D seemed to be a logistical nightmare and that's why they were not continued (I know people that did both and it was hellish it was so disorganized) - were there a lot of injuries? I didn't think that was a factor.

Plus there are a lot of races out there that are longer than the Dopey that people do all the time!

CHECK OUT MY 1st PTR

Past Trips
Early 1990s-Offsite? MK & EPCOT, Oct 08–WDW–Honeymoon–All-Star Music-Jazz, Mar 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz&Broadway & DCL–7 Night Western-Magic, Feb 10–WDW–All Star Movies-Dalmatians, Oct 10–DCL–7 Night Eastern-Magic, Mar 11-WDW-All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 11-DCL-4 Night Bahamas-Dream & WDW - Pop, Dec 11-WDW-All Star Sports-Tennis, Feb 29 - 24hrs in MK!, May 13-EEC, Oct 14-ToT10Miler, Jan 15-Dopey Challange
TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #520
airtime247
Certified Coaster Junkie

I preregistered for Dopey. I ran the full in 2010 and am running the Big Sur Marathon in a little more than two weeks which will be my second full. I am turning 40 at the end of the year and was going to celebrate (mourn?) by running Goofy but if I'm going to have a planned mid-life crisis, I might as well do it in style and run Dopey, right?

I'm trying to figure out the best training plan for it. I know I can do the mileage for the marathon but I'm much more comfortable with the half distance.

I'm thinking about doing a 50K training plan, not so much for the overall distance but I find they tend to peak at 50 miles per week which is pretty much what we are going to be doing that weekend.

I found one I might use at http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50k.asp

I like the idea that it has training runs three days in a row which will hopefully prepare me for the four days of Dopey. It also has the long run back to back with another fairly long run. I might swap the days and do the shorter run the day before the long instead of after. I think I will take about five weeks before this to lower the mileage of each day to get used to the number of days of running as I'm only running four now.

What is everyone else thinking for training plans?

-steve
airtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #521
JoeKir
Mouseketeer

That 50 mile training plan looks insane, and a really good fit for the 4 runs in a row we'll be doing with Dopey.

EDIT: I just noticed it's a 50k training plan. I thought it was 50 miles. Either way I'm sure the back to back long runs will help build your endurance.

DW and I (having never run a marathon before) are using the Goofy Challenge training plan from Galloway. We've just extended it from a 28 week plan to a 40 week plan so we have a build up. That said, we aren't going for speed, just want to be able to participate in this awesome race.

40 Week Unofficial Dopey Training plan
2014: Registered for Dopey Challenge!
Inspire Fit Living Facebook Page
Dopey Challenge Training Group - looking for friends to run with us!
JoeKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #522
roomthreeseventeen

After talking with a bunch of ultra experts, I think that an ultra plan actually wouldn’t be great for Dopey. Ultra plans are designed to get you through 50 miles at one time, and do not account for 20 hours of activity between runs, or 3 additional 2am wake up calls.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #523
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles

Ok. I really have no idea if I ever will ever attempt Dopey! But I do hope it sticks around for awhile because if I can manage the Goofy challenge next year I would seriously consider trying Dopey the following year or the year after that. Even if I can't finish, I would like to take on the challenge just to see how much I can do and for the experience. That was my plan IF I had signed up for the Dopey this year. Which is also my attitude for even doing a marathon. It's a challenge and if I get ill or injured while running I'll allow myself to quit without shame and try again the following year. :-)

There are plenty who have been running the unofficial Dopey for years now, right? Now there is only one more race to run. I don't think the injury or illness rate would be that much higher, as long as the runners participating in Dopey are well-prepared are smart about it and take recovery seriously after each leg of the Dopey.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #524
Shang Runner
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
Did the 2013 Goofy and wasn't expecting to do it again for 2014, but the Dopey was just too much of a draw
I agree Mr. Bean. I took a solemn oath that I would not run Disney in January again after that disastrous Full in the heat this year. I registered for Wine and Dine a few weeks before Dopey was announced. Well, I swallowed the Dopey bait hook, line, sinker, rod, and reel. (And glad I did.) Now I am doing both.
2011 - WDW Half Marathon
2011 - Gettysburg Full Marathon
2011 - Disneyland Half Marathon
2011 - Coast-to-Coast
2011 - Gettysburg Half Marathon
2012 - WDW 5K, Half, and Full Marathon (Goofy- unofficial Dopey)
2012 - DC Rock n Roll Half Marathon
2012 - Pittsburgh Half Marathon
2013 - WDW Half and Full Marathon (Goofy)

"If triathlons were any easier, they would be called FOOTBALL!"
Shang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #525
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKir View Post
That 50 mile training plan looks insane, and a really good fit for the 4 runs in a row we'll be doing with Dopey.

EDIT: I just noticed it's a 50k training plan. I thought it was 50 miles. Either way I'm sure the back to back long runs will help build your endurance.

DW and I (having never run a marathon before) are using the Goofy Challenge training plan from Galloway. We've just extended it from a 28 week plan to a 40 week plan so we have a build up. That said, we aren't going for speed, just want to be able to participate in this awesome race.

40 Week Unofficial Dopey Training plan
Interesting training plan! I never looked at the Goofy plan before so I didn't realize that the Saturday (1/2 marathon) training day was only walking. I guess that is a good way to avoid injury, but I am not sure I would feel prepared to do that amount of walking/running during race weekend.

Do you plan to do anything on Fridays to get used to 4 days in a row? Good luck!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: