Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #166
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I have to disagree about 2013 marathon weekend being worse than 2010.
I think it's all about the environment where you train. I did my 29 miler in ~30-40 degree weather with a light rain for the second half. It wasn't fun, but I never once felt dizzy or like I just could not go on the way I did on race day. My overall pace ended up being about the same both days, except on the 29 miler I was trying to take it easy and on race day I was moving as fast as I could manage :-)
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #167
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

I live in Wisconsin and hate the cold! Liz has it right - when you're chilled to the bone it's hard to recover. And I'm a cold runner to begin with, so the weather we just had in January for the marathon was perfect. To me anyway. Living in WI, I find it much harder to warm up than to cool down. Staying hydrated helps immensely in the summer, and then the heat and humidity isn't so bad. But then, summer is only like 2 months long. And I love every second of it!!

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #168
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I have to disagree about 2013 marathon weekend being worse than 2010. 2013 wasn't ideal, I don't like running in heat, but I kept myself cool(er) by dumping water on my head and what not. In 2010 I was a mess after the half from being chilled to the bone even though I kept all my toss away items. It was HELL, frozen over. I'll never forget it.
I will vouch for you, Liz. You were a mess! Your teeth were chattering, your lips were purple, and you were slurring your words a bit. I remember the people by us in the monorail line kept begging you to go and get some coffee. And I don't think either of us really warmed up for the rest of the day.
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #169
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Not to carry on the argument.... but 2010 was closer to an ideal running temp than 2013. That being an ideal running day is in the upper 40's with little wind. In my opinion, neither were ideal. However, with proper gear, I would prefer 2010. Though I think it cost me a couple Tyvek suits, 3 sweat shirts and two sweat pants as well as one long sleeved throw down shirt.

I think the secret to 2010 was to have a good shelter pre-race. For the staging period, Disney did not do a great job of looking out for its runners. Portable heaters, etc could have been provided.

Give me a 45 F start and a 55F finish and 65-70 later in the day and I am in heaven.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #170
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Not to carry on the argument.... but 2010 was closer to an ideal running temp than 2013. That being an ideal running day is in the upper 40's with little wind. In my opinion, neither were ideal. However, with proper gear, I would prefer 2010. Though I think it cost me a couple Tyvek suits, 3 sweat shirts and two sweat pants as well as one long sleeved throw down shirt.

I think the secret to 2010 was to have a good shelter pre-race. For the staging period, Disney did not do a great job of looking out for its runners. Portable heaters, etc could have been provided.

Give me a 45 F start and a 55F finish and 65-70 later in the day and I am in heaven.
One can only take off so much before being embarrassed or DQ'd. Even though I now do not like cold weather, I'd rather have it cold than hot. Layering is one's friend as are gloves and head gear.

Coach is right-on regarding pre race staging but that is why we have the MH.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #171
crewmatt
DIS Veteran

I'm with coach - I'd rather be cold then warm - ToT was brutal.

crewmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #172
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
.... I think the secret to 2010 was to have a good shelter pre-race. For the staging period, Disney did not do a great job of looking out for its runners. Portable heaters, etc could have been provided. ....
Heaters would have made all the difference. Being chilled before the race even began was probably a large part of the problem, for myself and I'm sure others. If ever it appears there will be a freezing marathon weekend like that again, I hope they would do things differently. And I know *I* would do things differently, too.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #173
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
And I don't think either of us really warmed up for the rest of the day.
No kidding!

Quote:

Yes, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post

Coach is right-on regarding pre race staging but that is why we have the MH.
I don't know the abbreviation for MH.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #174
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
.......I don't know the abbreviation for MH.
Sorry about that. MH is motor home. DW and I stay at FW for Marathon Weekend. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings, will include Thursday next year, I drive MH to EPCOT parking lot and we use it as our base station. Relaxing and warm if cold temperatures exist, breakfast before race, shower and more to eat/drink after race.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #175
swimfly
Mouseketeer

So jealous. Always wondered who had those sweet rides to the races!

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #176
so_oregon
Disney Cruise Fanatic

New runner, new life, new goals, new 'tude (did I mention new yet?).

Anyway, am on the path to wellness, activity and non-couch-potatoe - ness....am signed up for the 10K Disneyland in August, and now am getting ramped up (and trying to get couple of my kids ramped up) for the Dopey Challenge in January.

I see folks have already booked rooms, but even at the WDW website, says no rooms available. Are you able to book if you call (cuz I have a hard time believing all the rooms are booked....in January).

Karen

12/02 Norwegian Wind
12/06 Norwegian Wind
2/1/09 - Celebrity Solstice
9/19/09 - Disney Magic
5/27/10 - Disneyland trip
7/29-8/1/10 Disneyland
11/6/10 Celebrity Summit
1/23/11 - Disney Magic

so_oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #177
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_oregon View Post

Anyway, am on the path to wellness, activity and non-couch-potatoe - ness....am signed up for the 10K Disneyland in August, and now am getting ramped up (and trying to get couple of my kids ramped up) for the Dopey Challenge in January.

I see folks have already booked rooms, but even at the WDW website, says no rooms available. Are you able to book if you call (cuz I have a hard time believing all the rooms are booked....in January).

Karen
Wow! I see that. No rooms anywhere. I hope this is a glitch. BTW, welcome!

sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #178
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_oregon View Post

Karen
You need to call Disney to book your room! The rates for 2014 aren't out yet so therefore you can't book on the site but they will book you if you call!!

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
camandjacksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #179
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

And I believe that you can book it, but they cant confirm pricing yet? Also, some will be booking DVC which you can do 11 months out.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #180
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
And I believe that you can book it, but they cant confirm pricing yet? Also, some will be booking DVC which you can do 11 months out.
If you are doing a room only booking at this point, what kind of deposit are they making you put down this far out?

I know what days we will be there for the marathon, but we are not yet sure if we are going to do any parks.
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: