Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #136
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
Having Dumbo sell out before I could get to a computer to sign up, has me really paranoid about this race. Any guesses as to how fast it'll sell out? I am guessing the 10K will sell out pretty fast. Shorter distance, Minnie Medal, seems like something that will attract a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Jeff Galloway was pretty anti-Goofy when I went to him in Summer 2009 for a training plan. He later became the official Disney running coach so I think he had to create a plan. His philosophy is injury-free which is why he couldn't understand why I wanted to run the Goofy. Curious how he is viewing the Dopey.
I like Jeff and we have had a few training conversations. I am not sure he really likes Goofy yet. We both agree on one thing --- running back to back runs is not really needed for a successful Goofy training plan. For the first time multi-day runner I would suggest making 2-4 back to backs. If you are having fueling, aching, or other issues, then you may need an additional back to back to figure out the issue. Otherwise, a nice marathon plan will get ouyou to the line.

If I get a wild hair (and I am likely to have one) I seriously doubt I will modify my Goofy plan at all. For the record, it is a modified Hansons marathon plan.

I am predicting that the Dopey will sell out in less than a week - possibly 2 days. I would estimate the number of dopeys will be limited to 5000 and allowed to possibly grow up to 7500 if the entry ticker spins too fast. I would also expect the 10k and 5k to close out to those who are slow to decide since a sizable percentage of both races will go to Dopey runners. So if you are running with family members in the 5k, I would jump in quick.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #137
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

OK, haven't run Disney since Goofy in 2010. I turned my focus to triathlons. But, a few of us on our team were planning on doing the marathon in 2014 as a group run. A "no one left behind" run so it will be fairly easy. Well as easy as 26.2 miles can be.

I toyed with the idea of Goofy and now this comes up. Hmmmm Pretty tempting. And yea it is expensive but it is more the other costs that have me doubting. Five nights in a hotel and associated food costs. Luckily I don't have to fly.

Also getting up so early for the Goofy's I ran was tough. The only saving grace is when I used to do the "unofficial" Dopey the 5k was a later start. I could sleep in until 5 or so then drive over Hopefully the 10K would be the same. Decisions, decisions.....
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #138
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I like Jeff and we have had a few training conversations. I am not sure he really likes Goofy yet. We both agree on one thing --- running back to back runs is not really needed for a successful Goofy training plan....Otherwise, a nice marathon plan will get ouyou to the line.
I trained w/his Jax running group for my first marathon and 2010/2011 Goofy challenges. Didn't want it to seem I didn't like Galloway. I truly do love his running program just know he wasn't a fan of the Disney challenges. I completely agree with your training perspective. I'm not planning to do anything different to add in the 5 & 10k. I would normally have a 5 mile shake out run the Friday before the Goofy anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanerice View Post
Decisions, decisions.....
Pretty sure you're leaning towards having a Dopey medal around your neck in January.

I'm curious how many Dopey Challengers will party in the parks with all 6 medals. You could hear those wearing the 3 from the Goofy Challenge from miles away in prior years!

I completely agree the cost is absurd. If I was practical, I wouldn't sign up for the Dopey in January. But I'm a crazy runner girl and need my Dopey medal. I'll also have to travel without my family the first few days so the RW challenge where I can meet other runners ahead of time really has its perks.

Also saw someone mention the weather in 2010. It was brutal. Iced over waters stops were so sketchy.

Last edited by swimfly; 03-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #139
RedSonya
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
From a weather perspective, I currently hold reservations at OKW but will move them to BWV in early June.... this means the weather will be normal
I also stayed at OKW in 2007 and 2013 for WDW marathon weekends. (I was in building 22 this year too.) I'm planning to stay there again this year for Dopey, we will see which of us is the problem!
RedSonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #140
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:

I'm curious how many Dopey Challengers will party in the parks with all 6 medals. You could hear those wearing the 3 from the Goofy Challenge from miles away in prior years!

Oh, WHEN I finish the Dopey, those suckers are going around my neck for at least a couple of days!!!

If I was practical, I wouldn't sign up for the Dopey in January. But I'm a crazy runner girl and need my Dopey medal. I'll also have to travel without my family the first few days so the RW challenge where I can meet other runners ahead of time really has its perks.

Also saw someone mention the weather in 2010. It was brutal. Iced over waters stops were so sketchy.
I bet you could meet some peeps between here and a few of the FB pages out there without having to spend the xtra $500 on the RW package..
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #141
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
I trained w/his Jax running group for my first marathon and 2010/2011 Goofy challenges. Didn't want it to seem I didn't like Galloway. I truly do love his running program just know he wasn't a fan of the Disney challenges. I completely agree with your training perspective. I'm not planning to do anything different to add in the 5 & 10k. I would normally have a 5 mile shake out run the Friday before the Goofy anyways.

Pretty sure you're leaning towards having a Dopey medal around your neck in January.

I completely agree the cost is absurd. If I was practical, I wouldn't sign up for the Dopey in January. But I'm a crazy runner girl and need my Dopey medal. I'll also have to travel without my family the first few days so the RW challenge where I can meet other runners ahead of time really has its perks.

The weather totally sucked in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
I bet you could meet some peeps between here and a few of the FB pages out there without having to spend the xtra $500 on the RW package..
That extra $500 could buy a whole second registration so you could bring a friend!!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #142
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post

The weather totally sucked in 2010.

That extra $500 could buy a whole second registration so you could bring a friend!!
I totally agree! We could even have a dopey meet up! $500.00 is alot of money for the expo

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
camandjacksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #143
kmorganj
Earning My Ears

Any word on whether the marathon course will return to its previous version? Because this year's course was truly DOPEY, and not in a good way.
2007 Marathon-2008 Marathon-2009 Marathon-2009 Princess Half Marathon-2010 Princess Half Marathon-2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge-2012 Inaugural Marathon Relay-2012 Expedition Everest 5K-2012 Disneyland Half Marathon-2012 Coast to Coast-Challenge-2013 Marathon-2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon-2014 Inaugural Glass Slipper Challenge-2014 Royal Family 5K - 2015 Glass Slipper Challenge

kmorganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #144
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

In Jan. I made reservations at FW for 2014 and thought I had to add the extra Wed. for the 5K on Thursday but when I checked our confirmation paper I had Wed. already booked. Must have had a premonition that Disney was up to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorganj View Post
Any word on whether the marathon course will return to its previous version? Because this year's course was truly DOPEY, and not in a good way.
I liked the course and hope they keep it so I can grab another McFlurry.

This past January was my third unofficial Dopey in a row so DW made a special Dopey medallion for me that I carried over the finish line with cameras clicking. Met an older gentleman, I'm 62, with a Perfectly Goofy Medal in DTD and proudly showed him DW's embroidery. Mentioned that I should send a photo to Disney and that it would be nice if Disney recognized the Dopey. He thought it would be nice but unlikely. Guess I got my wish.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #145
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post

I liked the course and hope they keep it so I can grab another McFlurry.
i admire your ability to bring up that mcflurry at every chance you get.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #146
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Quote:
I enjoyed the speedway much more than I thought I would - that was actually my fastest mile of the marathon. After surviving the 2012 ToT 10-miler death march and the 2013 marathon, the only running I want to do in WWOS ever again is the first half-mile of the Wine & Dine!
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #147
swimfly
Mouseketeer

I'm seeing "running travel" companies claim you can book w/them before 4/2 and secure your spot with the Dopey. How is this possible? Why does Disney allow this?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #148
parrotbay51
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I second that vote. Go back to the previous course. Didn't like that it was still dark when I got to the MK.
parrotbay51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #149
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
I totally agree! We could even have a dopey meet up! $500.00 is alot of money for the expo
Totally agree. I guess I shouldn't say it's only meet people. I really need to learn how to train properly and master my Garmin. I have a marathon in Nov we're I'd like to blow away my 26.2 PR and figure I can use the RW training program here. Plus, I sadly must admit that I am finally learning all the really neat features of my Garmin 405. Took me too long.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #150
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
I'm seeing "running travel" companies claim you can book w/them before 4/2 and secure your spot with the Dopey. How is this possible? Why does Disney allow this?
Travel companies guarantee a certain number of spots and certain number of rooms with runDisney well before the event goes on sale. Once the company has paid runDisney (when they sign the contract) they are free to sell them whenever they choose.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: