Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
lozzypop
Mouseketeer

Hearing Aid(s) at Disneyland

I have moderate to severe hearing loss that I have been living with since my late teens. I am 42 now and have only recently acquired a hearing aid for my left ear. Hearing loss is moderate in my right ear and severe in my left ear.

Sidebar: Human adaptation is a wonderful thing. I was shocked when my ENT doc stressed just how bad my hearing was. I knew I was missing out on some things because of my hearing loss, but had done enough lip reading, head cocking and intelligent guessing to get by for over twenty years. I finally gave in because it was causing some real friction with my daughter who was sincerely fed up with repeating herself.

We are off in May for our annual trip to Disneyland (9th visit) and I have pretty much decided NOT to bring my aid. It's an expensive unit, so if it is lost, damaged or gets wet I am going to be very put out. If I don't bring it, I don't have to worry. Plus, I have never had much trouble with hearing what I want to hear at Disneyland. That, and the fact that I find that my aid "clicks" when there is a lot of loud noise, makes me think that the best idea is to just leave it at home.

But I am curious. Is there anyone out there with hearing aids that they wear to Disneyland (or DW) that thinks I may be missing out?
lozzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

My daughter & I both have hearing aids. If we didn't wear them - we wouldn't hear any of the attractions' words at all. It would take away the story lines of many of the attractions.

If you do wear them --
1- In July or Aug - beware of people with misting fans! They aren't careful because they don't know that you are wearing a hearing aid at all. They were politely sharing their mist with you.
2 - Summer sweat seems to pool in your ears with hearing aid use.
3 - Mid-day rain showers can ruin your hearing aids. Bring a waterproof container to the parks with you.

Try the reflective captioning device (from Guest Services). You might find out you have missed a lot. There's a $50 refundable fee for rentals. This way - you can leave your hearing aids safely tucked away at home. If you realize that you have missed out on a lot - bring them on the next trip.

Have a great vacation!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
MdmMim

Loves rainy days!!

DH wears them, but not in the parks or near the pool. He wears them on the plane and always for dinner.
MdmMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
lozzypop
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the perspective I Love Pluto - that was exactly what I was looking for.

I will admit that having my aid in for dinner would be nice... but not nice enough to risk bringing it. The people I am travelling with all know about my hearing and I will just have to trust them to translate as necessary.
lozzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzypop View Post
Thanks for the perspective I Love Pluto - that was exactly what I was looking for.

I will admit that having my aid in for dinner would be nice... but not nice enough to risk bringing it. The people I am travelling with all know about my hearing and I will just have to trust them to translate as necessary.

You are very welcome! Rent the reflective captioning device from Guest Services at least one time. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise all take on a new meaning when you get all the words!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: