DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
macemc12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggysmum
I am currently trying to buy SSR and I already own at BLT.

We ended up there last year due to last minute availability and asbolutely loved it. It is a complete contrast to our BLT stays. I like the fact that it is spread out with lots of green areas which makes for pleasent strolls in the evening. The QS offering is good. The location near DTD is great for us as we like the walk. The decor is a bit sickly for my liking but so is BW, I am not a fan of pastel colours and patterns but I have had that problem in a lot of American resorts so I am used to that, it is only a personal taste thing.

Dues are reasonable too and I am just hoping that the ROFR monster doesn't quash my dreams!
Good luck with your SSR purchase! We own at BLT as well. We are thinking of adding on and I was thinking SSR was a potential choice. Lower upfront cost, low maintenance fees and quieter than BLT.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

macemc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
dwight16
Mouseketeer

I am trying to grab 30 to 40 points at bwv in order for every few year grab a value room in the off season at board walk. This will help offset the more expensive point rooms 7 months out.
dwight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Bellecruiser
Mouseketeer

We love SSR for all the reasons everyone has said...We like it that it's a condo style as it seems less closed in. It is peaceful and beautiful, which we love after a busy day at the parks. We love the spa and exercise facilities, and really love the Turf Club restaurant...one of the best at WDW.

Retiring Sep 10, 2014
EBPC, Sep 2014 and BCV for F&W 2014
Wonder 5 Day in January
VGF & SSR Jan 2015
EBTA, May 2015
Bahamas Member Cruise 2015
Bellecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

We have three SSR contracts so far and plan to add on several times. We love SSR! We love the size and theming. We love its location. It's peaceful and quiet and beautiful and its a hassle getting to or from parks. We love the walk or boat ride to DTD. There isn't a thing about SSR we don't like. We had our choice of many resorts and chose SSR. We haven't regretted it for a single second. We go to WDW twice a year and its usually at SSR. Every few trips we switch it up and stay elsewhere. OKW and AKV are our next favs.
I get so annoyed at people who bash SSR and haven't even been there or stayed a night there. To each their own but sometimes I just want to yell LOL
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemc12 View Post
Why all the negativity for SSR around here? I have heard complaints over decor, size of resort, transportation issues etc... Please tell me what you love about SSR and why you bought there. Do you think the proposed overhaul of DTD will make SSR more desirable a location in the future?
I bought resale for the price, MF, and contract length. It's basically one of the best values for an on site resort.

Walking to DTD is nice, but not as nice as being able to walk to a park. I certainly don't mind staying there, but then I'd happily stay at any of the DVC resorts.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We don't own at SSR but do stay there. It's a beautiful resort.

We would be proud to own at SSR.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #22
brertoad
DIS Veteran

The grounds are lovely and the location is great if you want to be close to DTD, even within walking distance. We're okay with the condo style layout mainly because it's Disney, so it feels safe. We like being able to park near the room, just like OKW. I thought that the room decor was very nice. Didn't get a chance to go swimming, but their main pool is huge and looks amazing.

This is our home resort, and I think it was a great value for DVC ownership. It has one of the lower annual dues/pt, and it has one of the longest expiration dates. These two factors played a HUGE role in our decision to go with an SSR contract. We definitely got the most for our money, I don't think we could have gotten a better deal at the time.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
mckinneyld2000
Earning My Ears

We bought into SSR for the per point cost, low dues fees, future treehouse stays, and access to DTD when our kids become teenagers. We haven't stayed there yet, but plan to in the future. We were used to staying in value resorts and wanted to stay in the deluxe accomidations and this is the best value for the money.

mckinneyld2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
disneybaker
Mouseketeer

We bought into SSR 10 years ago, we looked at beach club, when we were there on vacation, but SSR was about to open, we decided that it would be better to spend our $6000 honeymoon fund on a time share instead of just a vacation. We love Saratoga springs, usually split up our time between there and another resort when we go, just so we don't need to pay for meal plan when not at Disney parks. The new pool is great, our son who was 4 at last visit there didnt want to leave pool. We love the resort overall.
disneybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

I have rented to many guest and have not had a bad report or i wouldn't go back report. In 2004 we bought 900 points from Disney and loved the site which was in the first stage.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

We have been SSR for 9 years and love it. It has 5 pools to pick from. It is a quitter resort. If I don't have a rental car and want to go to another resort I simply walk over to DTD and hop on another resort bus. They are current referbing the rooms. I can rent a bike and travel over to OKW for a visit.

Never have we ever had a bus issue.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

We are in the process of buying a SSR contract. We chose this resort over AKV and BWV for a couple of reasons.
  1. Proximity to Downtown Disney
  2. Longer contract life. SSR expires in 2054. BWV expires in 2042. (AKV expires in 2057)
  3. Pretty, natural surroundings.
  4. Slower more relaxed "country club" atmosphere.
  5. Spa, gym and tennis facilities.
  6. Lower MF's
  7. Larger and quieter resort - seems like it will be good for adults without children.
  8. We like the layout of the studios

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Both SSR and OKW and maybe AKV as well are moderate's in terms of location.
Dean, I must respectfully disagree with you on this one. Although it may be surprising to some, there are individuals out there that would rate Animal Kingdom as their favorite Walt Disney World theme park. Moreover, once Pandora, the World of Avatar, opens, I suspect that both the park and lodge will see significant increases in attendance and reservations, respectfully. Pandora will do for Animal Kingdom what Cars Land did for California Adventure.

For this reason, I would not consider its location akin to the moderates.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMountain77 View Post
Dean, I must respectfully disagree with you on this one. Although it may be surprising to some, there are individuals out there that would rate Animal Kingdom as their favorite Walt Disney World theme park. Moreover, once Pandora, the World of Avatar, opens, I suspect that both the park and lodge will see significant increases in attendance and reservations, respectfully. Pandora will do for Animal Kingdom what Cars Land did for California Adventure.

For this reason, I would not consider its location akin to the moderates.
IMO every resort has their supporters and detractors, however, in this context the issue was more about location than anything else. I'd also suggest that at least 2 of those 3 resorts, if not all 3, are lessor resorts in other areas as well. And that has nothing to do with whether you or I like or don't like a given resort. It's simply looking at them objectively much as AAA or other ratings services would do.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

The Food Court in SSR takes TIW and that's a plus I think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: