Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Does the ship go in circles?

Hi,

We just got off the Fantasy, which left St. Thomas in the early evening on a Tuesday and sailed into San Juan harbour just before 7 on Wednesday morning.

Since St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are about 40 miles apart, where did we go?
And assuming that we sailed in circles (no doubt creating hidden Mickeys on the high seas), why would we not just head for the next port and stay there?

I'm curious -- plus this helps distract me from the piles of laundry waiting to be done!

Thanks!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Hi,

We just got off the Fantasy, which left St. Thomas in the early evening on a Tuesday and sailed into San Juan harbour just before 7 on Wednesday morning.

Since St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are about 40 miles apart, where did we go?
And assuming that we sailed in circles (no doubt creating hidden Mickeys on the high seas), why would we not just head for the next port and stay there?

I'm curious -- plus this helps distract me from the piles of laundry waiting to be done!

Thanks!
It costs money to be docked. They have set times they can arrive and have to depart. And yes, they probably go in some sort of circle or many times I have woken in the middle of the night and went on the verandah and we were just "sitting" in the water. Save a bunch of fuel that way I guess!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Actually they are 80 miles apart, so about 4 hours at full speed, 8 hours at half speed (10 knots).
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

My guess would be that cruise ships adopt whatever speed will result in the most efficient use of fuel, lowering the fuel cost for the cruise line. My other guess is that cruise lines aim to give cruise passengers the maximum effect at sail aways and also for port arrivals--have to give people the best photo ops, after all! But I'm not cynical, oh no.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

They may have been slow going to San Juan, but we were really moving going from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. I woke up about 3:00 and I have never felt the ship move so fast.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
kimgg
DIS Veteran

This is so interesting. I was also on this cruise and at times when we were going very fast I tried to compare to a car and how many "miles" per hour we were going.

Also, a funny coincidence, I woke up and looked out the balcony the very moment we pulled up to the pier at port canaveral Saturday morning. I looked out and saw the Disney logo on the terminal passing right outside our room. I thought "and ... It's over!"

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
kimgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

If you turn your stateroom TV on to a certain channel, it will show you the path the ship has taken....day or night. I've seen it at times when it looked like they let the head chef come up and steer, there were so many loop-de-loops! LOL
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

You should have look on the "voyage" Chanel on the tv in your room. It shows your exact route
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

When we were unable to dock at Castaway Cay they made a little loop and tried again a couple of hours later. For the rest of the cruise that little loop showed up on the map. My kids called it The Little Loop of Sadness. We liked watching that map to see what our route had been.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
They may have been slow going to San Juan, but we were really moving going from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. I woke up about 3:00 and I have never felt the ship move so fast.
Castaway Cay was specifically chosen because of the cruising speed and time needed to get back to port Canaveral. Those CC to PC jaunts are very fast.

And I was told on Holland America that their ship, the Eurodam, got about 69 feet to the gallon... Fun ship facts.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

It must. We had two days in Cabo and at night the ship left the tender area. We can back the next day. Felt like we were moving all night. I looked at the TV map and it had us going in a rectangle overnight.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
truck1
Growing older but not up.

It all depends on a few different factors. Distance between ports where the other ships are sea states just to name a few. The distances between some ports are so small that a ship will drag its feet to get there on time. Other times it may be necessary to add distance by making a circle or some other odd shape to kill time. There's really no rhyme or reason to how they do it.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

I have read posts that on the 4 day bahamas, they sometimes just stop the ship, or slow it to manuvering speed only, on the sea day to save fuel.

On the three day DVC Member Cruise in January. We were scheduled to have a sea day on the first full day with CC on the second full day. They sailed all the way to CC on the first day, arriving around 4:00 PM for a photo op and "Mickey Missile" horn battle with the Fantasy. Then we sailed slowly back NW away from CC and the Fantasy passed us about 2 hours later on her way back to PC. We sailed a big slow circle to get back to CC the next morning.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
klepton
Mouseketeer

I've sailed out of SJ multiple times, with the first stop being St. Thomas, so the opposite route of what you're talking about. I've also gone out on the balcony in the middle of the night and seen the ship completely stopped. Other times the ship moves slowly in some kind of loop. I'm sure there are many factors that go into the decision of how they do this. Sea conditions are probably one of those.

I've also done the "Cabo Overnight" where we leave Cabo and come back the next day. Our pattern looked more like a pentagon that trip.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
You should have look on the "voyage" Chanel on the tv in your room. It shows your exact route

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: