Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
choirboy501
Yankee Racers - Founder

Rumored New Balance store at proposed Disney Springs

I could not tell if the comments about a New Balance store at the proposed Disney Springs were facetious or not, but I would love to see a store there. For that matter, I wish we had a store HERE.

My wife and I only buy New Balance for our athletic shoes, and we each have 5+ pairs, of different styles and colors for different purposes. We lived in Missouri before moving here, and shopped at the Kansas City store while there, and the Branson store when back visiting in the Ozarks. We are traveling to Idaho in April, and made plans to stop by the store in Boise.

We like the shoes, they are high quality and fit and wear well, and AFAIK, the only athletic shoes still manufactured in the USA.
choirboy501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

its on the list of proposed/being vetted vendors that was leaked. How much truth is anyone's guess. If I had to guess, I'd put it towards the bottom, but it's hard to say.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

i"d put it a little higher on the probability list- since New Balance was the sponsor of the new Mickey/Minnie running shoes that debuted at this year's Marathon in January.
They sold like hotcakes!!

And, even if you're not running a marathon, everyone who comes to WDW is walking close to (or exceeding) that distance in a week long vacation- so everyone needs good shoes!

(disclaimer: I do not advocate buying and wearing brand new shoes WHILE on vacation! )

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

I think Disney Springs may be a good perk to companies that have corporate partnerships with a Disney brand, as New Balance does with runDisney.

New Balance has made a boat load of money at the expos for Marathon Weekend, the Tinkerbell race weekend and Princess Half race weekend. Having a store front would expand their sales ability and sweeten the pot, so to speak for a company that sees partnering with Disney as a good thing, but perhaps too limited in sales scope.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
i"d put it a little higher on the probability list- since New Balance was the sponsor of the new Mickey/Minnie running shoes that debuted at this year's Marathon in January.
They sold like hotcakes!!

And, even if you're not running a marathon, everyone who comes to WDW is walking close to (or exceeding) that distance in a week long vacation- so everyone needs good shoes!

(disclaimer: I do not advocate buying and wearing brand new shoes WHILE on vacation! )
My thoughts exactly! I can imagine there are a lot of people who do not plan well when packing/wearing comfortable shoes so I can see many people buying a new pair while there. I agree that they should be broken in first, but if you think that one pair of tried and true sandals are going to get you through, you're likely wrong. I'm all for having at least two pair of good comfortable, broken-in shoes so you can alternate
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
dalt01
DIS Veteran

that is all i wear................
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
smw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy501 View Post
and AFAIK, the only athletic shoes still manufactured in the USA.
only a few models are made in usa, and they've got quite a premium on them compared to more popular ones like the 574.
smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
MrandMrsJoeFriday
HEYYYY YOUUU GUUYYYYSSS

New Balance sneaks

Being the type of company that New Balance is, Disney Springs would be a perfect location for a retail store. There staff typically is extremely well trained and well informed on foot health. Their professionalism and philosophy remind a lot of how pleasant Disney cast members are to deal with, and While not all of their shoes are made in the USA, most of the mid to high end models are. Models like the 990 series and 1200 series are extremely popular with runners and walkers and are made right here in the USA. Although models like the 574 are sometimes made in the usa, it is usually only the classic grey color scheme, and they are simply just fashions shoes. I would def not recommend them for a day in the park.
well, thats all I have to say about that. - A former NB employee
MrandMrsJoeFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

We only buy the higher end models that are made in the USA. Well worth paying a bit extra.

Love being able to take a quick trip down to Lawrence Mass a couple times per year to stock up!

I can see the appeal of being able to take a trip to Disney springs mid trip to find a new pair for aching feet!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
mommy2allgirls
Stay out of the damn lakes!

I would love if they put a store there and made more of the Disney themed ones they had. I want a pair but the prices are outrageous on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Lyme Blog
mommy2allgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2allgirls View Post
I would love if they put a store there and made more of the Disney themed ones they had. I want a pair but the prices are outrageous on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I saw a post on a Facebook group that sells Disney items for almost $300. And that was before $25 shipping!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
When Disney debuted the Mickey/Minnie NB shoes this past January at the Marathon, I saw people RUNNING in them!!!!

Brave!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
When Disney debuted the Mickey/Minnie NB shoes this past January at the Marathon, I saw people RUNNING in them!!!!

Brave!
Foolish
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Considering how much Run Disney has grown over the last few years it makes total sense to have a running store on property. NB stores are generally small and could fit onto the side of a larger store.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
My thoughts exactly! I can imagine there are a lot of people who do not plan well when packing/wearing comfortable shoes so I can see many people buying a new pair while there.
This happened to me! The Nike outlet off of 192 was a lifesaver. Of course the next day, looking at all the women's shoes inside the park I noticed that they were all wearing - guess what - Nikes!

It'd be smart to put one (a shoe store) within reach of Disney transportation, especially if it's a Disney partner store of some kind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: