Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #106
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

As a single mom who HATES to drive, staying on-site is worth the extra expense to me. I don't go often enough to learn my way around, and besides, its vacation, I don't want to deal with driving. My last trip was pretty low crowds, we planned on doing 1 EMH, but ended up changing plans anyway. When we went in the summer, we used morning EMH, but not nighttime.

I still think staying on-site has its benefits, but you really may not appreicate how much I like DME and Disney bus tranportation. Because I REALLLY, REALLY hate driving.

ETA: I also like the immersive experience. As I said, I don't go often, and I like to feel like I am in another world. Staying in a Disney Resort gives me that. Last time, we stayed at POR with a view of a lovely courtyard and a peek of the river. For my money, that is worth something.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)

Last edited by ItsNotMuchofaTail; 03-21-2013 at 08:25 AM.
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #107
DiscoMinnieMouse
Earning My Ears

I agree that EMH is not a big draw for us b/c of the extra crowds, although we like the evening ones at HS for the Disney Junior dance party. But when we fly, we love ME. When we drive, we love the free parking at the theme parks. Love being in the middle of the Disney action 24/7. We like the DDP since we eat on property every meal as well and it's nice to have all that paid for in advance.

We drink the Kool-aid, it's still on-property for us!

Me (39) DH (40) DD (7) DS (2)
DiscoMinnieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #108
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
I have to respectfully disagree their is now no real slow time for Disney, the parks are full as are the resorts, DIsney has been telling us for a while now that they are going to be doing away with the free DDP and as much as I will be gutted I truelly believe its going to happen!
Two questions:
  1. What does 'gutted' mean? It sounds messy.
  2. When has Disney officially stated that they are doing away with free dining?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #109
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
They haven't. They have cut out one night at the Magic Kingdom for the summer.
For now.

EMH will eventually be done away with altogether, if not this year, by 2014 at the latest.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #110
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
There is more to staying onsite that the EMH's, etc. We love the complete ambiance of being surrounded by *Disney*, the transportation is a very nice perk to us.
I agree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTaylorsMom View Post
The Magic is the best WDW "perk" of all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Off-site is much less costly
Offsite is less expensive when comparing just the cost of hotels, but once you add in travel time to/from the parks, parking fees per day, etc., it's not any cheaper (for us) than staying at a Disney resort. I consider our time just as valuable as saving a dollar and staying onsite might not save money (per say), but it does save us a lot of time and that is just as important to us when we are on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Love being engulfed by Disney magic 24/7 for the duration of our trips.
Us too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Onsite vs offsite is a matter of personal preference. For some people, staying in a Disney resort is as much a part of their vacation as going to the parks. For others, a hotel is just a place for a bed and a bath.

Not everyone is going to be happy with the changes Disney has planned. And the costs keep going up while most of us have had to deal with stagnant or reduced income. But I'd rather wait a little longer between trips than stay offsite. For me, it's the difference between a Disney vacation and an Orlando vacation.
I agree 100% . We have taken two family trips and have rented a house both times, but those trips were "Orlando" vacations. When we go strictly for a Disney trip, it's onsite without question.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #111
LeahA
DIS Veteran

There is no EMH for the summer? Sorry, I missed the boat on this! Is this a new thing or something that's always been in place. We always go spring break time but plan on hopefully going this summer. Please, any info on this would be great or direct me to the thread that expains this.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #112
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Wow this will be fab when moving to the states for our 3 yr posting in September we always stay on site but if we want to do Disney just for a few days and universal seaworld Etc for the rest this would be a great option
Look at Armed Forces Vacation Club

http://www.afvclub.com/

Good luck. Condos are generally $349/week but they have specials throughout the year. We've found off season is the best time to go.

ETA: But we're retired now and have no restrictions on when we can go.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #113
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
Two questions:
[*]When has Disney officially stated that they are doing away with free dining?
They haven't ever officially or unofficially said they would end any specific discounts. In a stockholder report last year they indicated they are trying to scale back on some discounts. This is a typical line they feed us in the annual stockholder reports. They used similar verbiage in a stockholders report 2 or 3 years ago and everyone hit these boards claiming free dining was dead. But, guess what? Free dining is still around. The FD discount has simply made them too much money to be completely done away with at this point. They may continue to try to experiment with new promos like Stay/Play/Dine during lower crowd weeks, but I don't see that as them ending free dining or other deep discounts - at least not at this point.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #114
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I rarely take advantage of EMH. And generally avoid the EMH Park of the day because it is usually more crowded. My favorite onsite perks are transportation, free parking for the occasions when I do drive and resort delivery of park purchases.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #115
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahA
There is no EMH for the summer? Sorry, I missed the boat on this! Is this a new thing or something that's always been in place. We always go spring break time but plan on hopefully going this summer. Please, any info on this would be great or direct me to the thread that expains this.
They haven't cancelled all of the summer EMH. They cancelled one night, and there seems to be some speculation that it means they will cancel other nights. Also, the speculation is that they will phase EMH out in 2014. All just rumors and speculation at this point.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #116
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
For now.

EMH will eventually be done away with altogether, if not this year, by 2014 at the latest.
When have they stated this?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #117
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
When have they stated this?
They haven't. People are jumping to conclusions. You know, the unofficial sport of the Dis.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #118
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Figure I'll throw my 2 cents in on this conversation.

I've stayed onsite and offsite, flown and drove and really think that I prefer the onsite to the offsite.

Our kids don't have the endurance for evening EMH and it can be difficult to rouse them (and us) to be up and at a park by 8am for morning EMH so losing out on EMH isn't really a factor for me.

I love the DP and despite the fact that it looks like I'll break even on the price of meals this trip it's nice to know that my meals are paid for prior to me arriving and bills won't follow me home. It helps with my budget. I even asked the wife if we wanted to save a few bucks by passing on the DP and maybe forgoing some desserts, splitting meals for the kids since they don't seem to eat as much when we are at WDW, etc. She said no. She likes being able to get a dessert when we are gone and again, just swiping the KTTW card and not worrying about it going on a credit card or what else we could be spending that money on, etc.

I enjoy the Disney transportation. I like the fact that I don't *need* a car there. If we drive our own car it's a 1200 mile trip. While there are some nice things about having a car there, like going to DTD or off-site for something, it's also nice to just relax at the end of a day or even in the morning while we go to the parks. I've literally seen fist fights for people trying to get on the parking trams at MK so avoiding the parking lot is kind of nice. I love the fact that when I fly and I drop my bags at my airport I don't touch them again until I get back home. Disney Transportation also means I don't have to deal with booster seats, etc either. Lastly, my kids love the buses. They think it's a cool and special thing. Something out of the ordinary.

Being immersed in Disney is also a huge plus for me. When I'm on vacation I am escaping from the world and my day to day life. I don't want to watch the news or sports or any of that. I want to have experiences and get away. I want to find Hidden Mickey's and bask in all of the little touches of the resorts, the parks, etc.

And for me, Disney service is another plus. We've experienced nothing but spectacular service from all of the CMs we've met and they go out of their way to make my kids feel special.

Then there is cost. I looked at AAA & Costco packages and still couldn't find much that would save what I consider to be a significant amount of money. If I stay off site then I'm renting a car ($500 for the week we're going,) paying for parking ($14 x 6,) losing out on the DP and potentially time getting to and from the resorts (time = money, esp at WDW.) While the dollar for dollar costs on the hotel/room itself is much higher at WDW than a comparable room off-site, there's much more to it than simply the room.

As many others have said before me, there is still a lot of value for staying on-site.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #119
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
jordanri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #120
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

If the other attractions in Orlando were part of my vacation then yes I would agree with you. But our vacation destination is Disney and staying onsite is a very important part of that experience.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: