Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

We've done probably a dozen trips and not once stayed on site.

We drive our own vehicle from NY, rent a gorgeous 5-bedroom house for $110/night. Grab UCT tix and spread out six days at WDW over two weeks of FL sun and our own pool. (No one else's kids to contend with.) We eat like kings at and off WDW property and have relaxing and exciting vacations.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #62
lstylr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apagano View Post
The closest I ever came to staying onside was at the Buena Vista Palace years ago when it first opened. The Disney Transport is a great perk, but ultimately I always stay offsite because of the cost. Right now I'm paying $66 per night for a 1-bedroom villa just outside Disney property. It's still a good 50 bucks less per night than I would have spent at a Disney Value Resort even after you account for parking costs. We get more space and, more importantly, our child can sleep in a different room. Someday money will be no object and we can stay on site. For now, though, budget trumps all.
w h a t - $66/night for a one bedroom villa?? Where is this magical place???????
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #63
mejo
Mouseketeer

We went this past weekend and since it was a quick trip we decided to stay offsite, we hated it. You only feel the magic after you drove to the park and got in the gate. When we stay on site, the magic is there the entire time. We will never stay offsite again.

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #64
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411

For the last 9 years, Free dining has made Disney millions upon millions of dollars and continues to fill the resorts and parks during previously slow or empty weeks. If Disney ever did discontinue those free dining weeks the parks attendance and resort occupancy rates would plummet. Those marketing geniuses at Disney know this, so they aren't going to completely discontinue Free Dining anytime soon.
I have to respectfully disagree their is now no real slow time for Disney, the parks are full as are the resorts, DIsney has been telling us for a while now that they are going to be doing away with the free DDP and as much as I will be gutted I truelly believe its going to happen!

In the UK they have already opened up the next years prices and nothing has been mentioned about any discounts when it comes to the DDP, this yr we only got free QS at mod deluxe resorts so they have already lowered the plan from DDP to QS! only a matter of time before they don't offer it at all!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #65
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstylr View Post
w h a t - $66/night for a one bedroom villa?? Where is this magical place???????
I actually can get 2BR condos thru the military for $42/night. In conjunction with RCI.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #66
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

We have always stayed on site and always will - regardless of EMH.

Love being engulfed by Disney magic 24/7 for the duration of our trips.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using DISBoards
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #67
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe

I actually can get 2BR condos thru the military for $42/night. In conjunction with RCI.
Wow this will be fab when moving to the states for our 3 yr posting in September we always stay on site but if we want to do Disney just for a few days and universal seaworld Etc for the rest this would be a great option

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #68
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
This may work for some-but many of us can only get a week at a time from work. So A) we like to do it right B) Its already extended as far as possible

Further-if you do have as much time off as you want, where does this argument stop? Mods over Deluxe, Value over mods, DVC over cash, offsite over Value, camping over offsite, stay in your van every night, just stay home?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #69
ARAITHEL
Always counting the days till my next WDW trip...

I've stayed both on and off site. The last 5 times I have been to WDW I have stayed on property. I booked a short 4 day, 3 night trip with my DD for April last week, I looked at the prospect of staying off property and decided that it was just easier for me to stay on property with ME and the DDP. I can prepay for everything, which I love. It puts my mind at ease that the only thing that I HAVE to pay for when I make it to WDW is the meager tips for Mousekeeping and our table service meals, etc.

I did struggle with the extra cost, but when you put in the fact that I'd have to navigate the rental car and pay to park at the parks, it all equals out to me NEVER staying off site unless I panned on going to other area attractions.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #70
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I see this as a matter of personal preference and priorities. 99% of the time I am there just for the day and come back to my own home at night. When I have stayed overnight, I have stayed both onsite and offsite. I find driving to the parks faster than using Disney transportation so that's not a perk I use, nor do I need DME. But it is just SO nice to wake up in the morning and be right there...and to know that I can be in my bed in 15 minutes or less upon leaving the park at night. I also enjoy the atmosphere of onsite resorts - the towel Mickey, old cartoons on the TV, Mickey soap...I like being immersed in the magic. Disney's theming is fantastic. So for those reasons, I definitely prefer onsite to off when possible. I also like being able to take advantage of EMH, especially morning. I can hit a park for 3 hours, do all my favorite attractions, and hop someplace else before the crowds roll in. With my passholder discount, I can typically get a value room for just a little more than an offsite hotel. It is totally worth it to me.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #71
melissarose
Mouseketeer

i've stayed both on and off. and while i like EMH and think it will suck if they get rid of it completely, i still think for me it will be worth it to stay on site. it's just so easy, for me it's worth the extra money. magical express, disney transportation, dining plan, not to mention being immersed in disney 24/7. to me it's worth it, EMH or not.
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #72
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
I like just the simple perk of knowing everything is paid for in advance, my food, room, park tickets, parking. I like not having to worry about hidden fees and taxes like happens most of the time when checking in to a property offsite.

EMH are okay but how many of us really stayed the full 3 hours after the park closed? That's probably on of the many reasons they were cut back to 2.

The all inclusive aspect of staying onsite can be really nice if your trip consists of just the Disney parks exclusively. However, the perceived benefits or perks makes this onsite vs. offsite debate neverending. It really comes down to what time of vacation you want, what amenities are needed, what parks you are visiting, and the budget which can vary from trip to trip. How "magical" each experience is over the other is purely subjective.

Last edited by 2Pirates2Princesses; 04-01-2013 at 10:28 AM.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #73
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
I have seen Stacey on at a few of the Good Neighbor and DTD hotels.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #74
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

This has been probably been said, but....

When the family and I do Disney, we want to DO Disney....I want to be completely immersed in the world. When I pass through that arch I know I am not leaving until I am headed home. It is escapism at its best...for me Disney is not in Florida or even in the USA, but some magical place where princesses live, Mice talk, where I can visit the the world of tomorrow and the frontier in the same day, where waffles are shaped like Mickey, buses and boats take you to a Zoo, a Studio, Castle, and a chance to visit multiple countries around the world. I want nothing to take that escape away....
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #75
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
I totally disagree. We don't stay on-site for perks or other things that we think we SHOULD be entitled to, but rather we stay there for the safety and experience that on-site hotels provide us. Just got back less than 24 hours ago and am totally exhausted from the trip - and I love it!
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: