Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
IndyDisneyFan
I want to live at WDW!

Can you charge an OBB to your stateroom?

Hi!

We cruise next Friday and were wondering can you charge a future cruise deposit to your stateroom instead of a credit card? I have been using Disney gift cards to pay for our current cruise, gratuities, and shipboard credit for ourselves. Now I am wondering if I place more shipboard credit on our account with the gift cards can I just use that to pay for our next year's cruise deposit? If so I am headed to Target to buy more gift cards at a discount!

Thanks!
Laura
2002- Music, Movies, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2003- Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Sports, Coronado Springs
2004- Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2005- Disney Wonder, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary Resort, Caribbean Beach
2006- Disney Magic, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, All Star Music
2007- Beach Club, Disney Magic, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland, Polynesian, Disney Wonder, Wilderness Villas
2008- Polynesian, Disney Magic X 2, POFQ, Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge
2009- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic X 2, Poly, Pop Century, Animal Kindom Lodge, Contemporary
2010- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic, Beach Club Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Wonder, Polynesian
2011- Grand Floridian, Contemporary, French Quarter, Polynesian
2012- Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Old Key West, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Wonder (Hawaii), POFQ
2013- POFQ, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel
2014- Disney Wonder, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge
IndyDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

No they don't charge OBB to your stateroom account. It's processed as a separate transaction. I don't know what forms of payment they accept at the booking desk, we used our credit card.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Anyone know if they take cash?
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

When we booked on board in Feb it was charged to our stateroom account. We just signed the quote we had, noted we wanted it transferred to a TA and handed it to a CM that was helping with the line at the booking desk.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

If you are paying with a Disney Visa Rewards, you do not want to add this to your stateroom account, otherwise the deposit will not be subject to the 6months zero financing.

It is charged to your credit card on file.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

The cruise desk takes cash. They just don't give change.
stsomewhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scillycruisers View Post
When we booked on board in Feb it was charged to our stateroom account. We just signed the quote we had, noted we wanted it transferred to a TA and handed it to a CM that was helping with the line at the booking desk.
Are you sure they charged it to your stateroom account? Usually they ask if you want to use the same credit card already on your stateroom account and then make a separate charge to that card. They don't put it thorough your stateroom account because if you cancel the cruise it becomes a bookkeeping nightmare for them. The accounting on the cruise is closed and the money on a cancellation has to go back the way it was charged.

They do take the same forms of payment that DCL would take on land and that includes cash/check. They can do gift cards but depending on the denomination and the crowds, wouldn't be a bit surprised if they limit the # of cards they will process per booking.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
moosecrouse
Mouseketeer

If I remember correctly I charged my OBB to my stateroom account.
moosecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

They would not charge it to my stateroom last week. They specifically told me it was separate. They also said they would not take my GC. This was in line mind you so I called up and had my DH bring my CC down so I ended up just using the CC and not trying to use the GC to book.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

I took a $500 Disney Gift Card and used it at the desk to rebook.

I'm currently paying on my 3rd cruise paid for entirely with gift cards. Big fan.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post

I'm currently paying on my 3rd cruise paid for entirely with gift cards. Big fan.
This is what I would like to do, how exactly did you go about it? The rebooking onboard, not paying for your other cruises with GCs, I already do that.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
mom2william
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5

How do you do that???
mom2william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
This is what I would like to do, how exactly did you go about it? The rebooking onboard, not paying for your other cruises with GCs, I already do that.

I just brought an extra $500 gift card and when we re-booked at the reservation desk, she accepted it like a credit card. I suppose you can just put it on your shipboard account and have the resi desk bill to your state room.

On our 7 night Western Carribbean I had almost $3,000 put on our shipboard account via gift cards prior to even stepping on deck. I just called Disney directly and had it added.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2william View Post
How do you do that???
I personally, purchase gift cards at my local grocery store throughout the year using my Disney Visa--this gets me both points I use for deeply discounted gas and Disney Visa reward points.

I try to time my purchases for when the store has 4x points..(currently)..then..

$500 gets me 2,000 points...which is a $70 savings in gas plus an additional $5 Disney Visa dream dollars. So its like paying $425 for $500...

My 2014 Alaska cruise is about $6500 so if I do this 13 times to pay for the cruise it's a savings of $975 dollars..which isn't bad at all. My grocery store also has a community rewards program I am signed up for to where a percentage of all my purchases go to a charity of my choice..a nice bonus.

There are a lot of threads on here about people who purchase discounted gift cards at Target as well, I just prefer the grocery store option.

I get the 4x points promotion about 4 times a year and each time the points can be used in the current + next month. Last Fall/Winter they allowed up to $2 a gallon in points to be used...LOVED IT... once i got 35 gallons for .99 each gallon.

Last edited by Lobofan5; 03-21-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
I personally, purchase gift cards at my local grocery store throughout the year using my Disney Visa--this gets me both points I use for deeply discounted gas and Disney Visa reward points.

I try to time my purchases for when the store has 4x points..(currently)..then..

$500 gets me 2,000 points...which is a $70 savings in gas plus an additional $5 Disney Visa dream dollars. So its like paying $425 for $500...

My 2014 Alaska cruise is about $6500 so if I do this 13 times to pay for the cruise it's a savings of $975 dollars..which isn't bad at all. My grocery store also has a community rewards program I am signed up for to where a percentage of all my purchases go to a charity of my choice..a nice bonus.

There are a lot of threads on here about people who purchase discounted gift cards at Target as well, I just prefer the grocery store option.

I get the 4x points promotion about 4 times a year and each time the points can be used in the current + next month. Last Fall/Winter they allowed up to $2 a gallon in points to be used...LOVED IT... once i got 35 gallons for .99 each gallon.
It sounds as though you are a fellow Kroger shopper. I love 4X fuel points. I also like being able to buy GCs in larger increments. I have read on here that you could NOT pay for a future cruise deposit with gift cards so I was curious as to how you did it.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: