Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

The article does say this:

Quote:
We've spoken to the airline and the theme park and we've been given permission to take his ashes with us.
But it doesn't say if they've been given permission to scatter them. I sure hope they've worked something out with WDW to maybe have the entire urn buried or something.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 03-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
dalt01
DIS Veteran

i think i met someones gram under my bed at Riverside in January...............
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

These people should watch the movie The Great Escape. It may not be dignified, but that's the way to do this without getting caught.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Illegal in Florida but I gotta admit, I want some of my ashes scattered around in various places through the parks.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

My husband said he would put my ashes in his pockets and shake it out, like in Shawshank Redemption. LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
The article does say this:

But it doesn't say if they've been given permission to scatter them. I sure hope they've worked something out with WDW to maybe have the entire urn buried or something.

Sayhello
If WDW allows them to do it, that means that they would have to let everyone bring their dusty loved ones into the park and I just do not see that happening.

This is from DLR:

Quote:
"It used to happen every once in a while at the Haunted Mansion, but now it's happening more," he said.
Without written permission, it's a misdemeanor violation of the state Health and Safety Code to scatter human ashes on private property, but enforcement is difficult. Officials say the ashes pose no health threat.
"I can tell you that we do get people from time to time asking for permission to sprinkle ashes. Our policy is when we are asked for permission, we deny the request," Doughty (with DLR) said. "Beyond that, we don't know."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...#ixzz2ODoK8ipx
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

My DH wants me to take an evening stroll on the beaches of FW, the Poly and the YC/BC. And discretely sprinkle some of him in Bay Lake, the Seven Seas Lagoon, and Crescent Lake. That way he laps up on the shores of MK, DHS and Epcot.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Not going to lie, I would pay to be buried at a disney cemetery.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

I heard that since Disney purchased Lucasfilms that Disney will be offer packages to guests that includes Freezing in Carbonite. Once you are frozen you will take your place infront of Spaceship Earth, replacing the tombstones.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Infamousmare
I didn't make it all the way through 3rd grade for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
I heard that since Disney purchased Lucasfilms that Disney will be offer packages to guests that includes Freezing in Carbonite. Once you are frozen you will take your place infront of Spaceship Earth, replacing the tombstones.
Sign me up!

Several day trips in the 70s as a kid when we lived in FL--->1992 Off Site--->2010 WL--->2011 SSR--->2012 BLT--->2013 BLT--->2014 we're headed off site! SVV, here we come!
Infamousmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
misstheworld
My Prince Charming is mecarroll

I'm curious, anyone know why it's illegal to scatter ashes in the state of Florida? If you visited the gulf coast every year on vacation, what would it hurt to scatter them into the water at sunset? There isn't that much left after cremation.

Mom was cremated and the only thing we were told was you had to carry the certificate of death, plus a letter from the funeral home along with identification when you crossed state lines. We scattered her in Tennessee on what used to be her family's land (now part of the Appalachian Trail, but you can still see the foundation of the house).
misstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I do not know Florida's specific law but human ashes are NOT hazardous (as long as there are no other items in the ashes which they usually remove prior to cremation anyway - like a pacemaker). Yes, you can bring ashes with you on an airplane or anywhere else you please. And most airlines even have this question in their FAQs!

But as for scattering ashes in a Disney Park, I believe that is not allowed (there was a whole other thread talking about this matter as well). But again, I don't know the official policy.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Just a thing to remember the Disney parks and Resorts are private property they have final say about what goes on on their property. If they don't want people dumping ashes from diciest family on their property you need to respect that. There have been reports of them closing down rides to have them vacuumed up as they didn't know what it was. As far as anyone else around you that may see you doing it you could be dumping out something dangerous like Anthrax.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
A friend (BriarRose here on the DIS) refers to this as the Tomb of the Unknown Tourist.
You forgot the i, Jeff. BriarRosie. If you're taking a photo of Spaceship Earth with the Leave a Legacy monoliths in front, it has the "Tomb of the Unknown Tourist" vibe. I once read a post on the DIS a long time ago. I'm not sure if it was true, but the poster said they witnessed a little girl crying near the Leave a Legacy area. Her parents asked her why she was crying, and she replied that it was sad to see all the people who died there.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

There is no way Disney would allow ashes to be scattered. Can you imagine the number of people that would do this? It would be pointless anyway, they would sweep it up and dispose of the ashes the minute you walked away, unless you dumped them in water.

Disney may have given permission to CARRY the ashes around and the family took that as permission to scatter them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: