Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
OSUBuckly
Mouseketeer

I agree that I wouldn't want kids at my tasting, but I don't think it is a rampant problem on the ships. I've done maybe a half dozen tastings over my crusing career and I don't know if I recall there being a child at any of them. If there was, then they were well behaved enough that I don't remember them being there.

Besides, why would a kid want to go to one of them anyway? I can't imagine they would get much out of sitting aroudn watching their parent(s) drink when there is so much other fun stuff they could be doing.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

It is not a place for children. You have adults drinking alcohol & especially the mixology one, a lot of alcohol. If you bring a child, they will probably feel out of place along with having everyone else there wondering why the child is there .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Some of the time I wish the would require one or two kids at the tastings. Some of the adults might have better manors if there were kids there. Or at least have Mickey Mouse there... who would be vulgar with Mickey in the room?
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Children are not allowed in events at the Cove at any time

These events are intended for adults. Not the whole family. Adults should not be expected to "tone down" adult events in adult areas because someone brings a child.

Nor would I assume a child with separation anxiety would sit quietly in an unobtrusive corner for an hour.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
The nightclubs are "adult-only" at night, not necessarily during the day; many are open to all passengers during the daytime. The mixology and tastings seminars are "adult-only" in that only adults can register and participate. Whether or not children are in the same room may be out of the control of the CM leading that group. Since these aren't usually more than an hour, one would hope the kids could manage to tolerate the kids club for that period of time. However, as a PP mentioned, some families may also be in that space for other reasons (homework, etc.) unrelated to the adult-only seminar taking place.
This. Kids on DSi, tablet, book, and such in a corner, was our experience on the Fantasy during the day.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

On our cruise there were almost always kids at "adult" activities. Sometimes cast members would sort of make a joking comment about it but no one ever left or removed their kids. It was irritating but what can you do? If it had been at a paid event (like a tasting) I would have asked for a refund. There's no reason for kids to be at an event like that.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
mareed
DIS Veteran

Interesting... On the 2 cruises I've been on on the Magic, at all of the activities listed under the "Adults" section of the Navigator, they made a point to talk about "protecting us from the children". On the walking tour that started in Palo, they asked one young adult how old she was before letting her stay (she was 18 and stayed), so I'm sure they would have made anyone leave who was under 18. We specifically asked because we thought about including our 13 year old son (perfectly behaved of course - LOL! ) and were told it was adults only.

My other experience was at the Art of Entertaining cooking sessions where they made the "protect from the children" comment, but there were no children there already. Now, there were some adults who showed up last minute and acted like children as they noisily found seats, but I guess Disney can't ask them to leave for that.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I tend to agree. If I am paying $11 an hour for my kids to be in the nursery to do a tasting, I would be annoyed if there were children in there. I doubt I would ask for a refund unless the child was a real problem (and coming up to Mom more than once or twice to me would be a problem in that enviornment). I think it comes down to a choice, if you (general you, not attacking OP who asked an innocent question) want to do the tasting, you gotta figure out something for the kid- either stay with dad, Grandma, whatever or tell the kid he has to go the club for an hour. Don't make it a choice. Or, you don't go to the tasting.

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Not directed at any poster, no matter how mature,well behaved or unable to leave your side, your child should not be intruding on the adults only activities. I have cruised with and without my kids. When I cruise without them I understand that by cruising Disney, kids come with the package. However, Disney promises an experience for all ages so I expect the adult activities and venues kids free.

Parents, play by the rules and if your family dynamic is such that your kids can't be apart, then adjust your expectations and understand that you won't be able to do some of the activities. It will have to be about family time. And if that doesn't work then a cruise may not be for you.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

These are ADULT ONLY events. If you can't leave your kid on a club, then don't attend. Can an adult 'hang out' at Lab/Edge/Vibe? No.

If you want them to see the bar, go during the daytime hours, when there are no events being held.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

I say find another mom & do the taste testing with her & let the dads hang with the kids! 😃
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

It is listed as an adult activity. I would hope not. I would never bring a kid.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
tukkerlove
Mouseketeer

Whoa apparently a hot button topic. Thanks to those who managed to reply respectfully He's 7, but is very introverted. We tried him in the clubs before when we were on the Dream and he was miserable, wandering around. The CM's were not able to give him what he needs in terms of getting him to be social (not thier fault, lots of kids). We missed a lot of adult activities on our last cruise, and so the question came to mind.

I had thought a daytime tasting would be a little tamer than those held in the evening, but apparently not. My thought was that he would be in a far corner away from the adults, playing his kindle or the like, not sitting next to me. After reading through, I appreciate that even a daytime environment would not be appropriate, and realize that if he can't stay in the clubs, it is not a viable option. Thx.
tukkerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
youalleverybody
Rather be Soarin'

He may be fine in the kids clubs this time.

My youngest didn't want to stay in the club on our first cruise, but the next cruise, one year later, and she was happy to go.

Especially if you tell him it's only for an hour and then you promise to come get him!

Mixology was a blast. It was just Dh and I, plus two other couples. Worth the effort to try to make it happen.

FWIW, it wouldn't bother me at all if your child was quietly reading or playing on ipad in a corner seat.

WDW 2008, 2010 and 2012
February 2012 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean
October 2012 Disney Dream Bahamas
February 2013 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas
youalleverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
tinkermom1964
Earning My Ears

Minology classes and other adult activities are a special time for my husband and I to relax. I certainly would not enjoy the experience as much if there were children present, no matter how well behaved. I really hope that parents would not bring their children to such an event! I would hope that they would instead choose an activity that their entire family can enjoy, until their children are ready to separate for a couple of hours. Allowing a few adult only activities to remain as such! IMHO

Jeanette Maddie Allie Russ
tinkermom1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: