DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
Mahwah
Mouseketeer

We bought DVC at OKW last summer. We have been going to Disney World since our daughter was 3 months old....she is 19 now! Disney has been a big part of our lives, we enjoyed many trips with my in-laws to Disney and unfortunately, they are no longer with us, but we have all of the memories of them at Disney and we continue to make more memories at Disney. YES! I think it is definitely worth it! My daughter still enjoys Disney...always so much to do there. 2 years ago....we became legal guardians of 2 teenage boys 14 & 16 so now we can make memories with them. Some day, we hope to enjoy our DVC with our grandchildren, but for now....we will enjoy it with our family and friends. We are planning on celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in 3 years at DVC in Hawaii!
Mahwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #32
ercrbc
Mouseketeer

We bought for a few reasons. I grew up going to Disney regularly and have family in Orlando. I never stayed on property growing up and when my DH and I took our kids for the first time in 2009 I was adamant about staying close to the magic. He was adamant about having a kitchen, w/d, and a King bed. So that led us to information about DVC and renting DVC pts. We called Dave and rented pts for a 1BR at AKV. (I HIGHLY recommend renting and trying it out before investing!)

We loved the room, the resort, the kids activities, the overall DVC program. After that trip we started looking into resales. We know we want to vacation at Disney or HHI every year. Renting would have been fine except I want to be able to control our planning and I also want to know that my workaholic DH will be FORCED to vacation at least once a year

I love that my kids will grow up knowing Disney as a home away from home. I love that I have the fun of planning trips each year. DH loves that I will never make him go commando through the parks and he will always have a break at the pool (and pool bar) in the afternoon. It's a good fit for us. Good luck with your decision!
2011 June AKV-Kidani
2010 Sept OKW
2009 Sept AKV-Jambo
ercrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
chateau
DIS Veteran

We wanted to be close to the parks (walking distance close), like cooking on our own, want our experience to be the resorts themselves (beyond the parks), and fell in love with WDW.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DW and I had purchased another timeshare, found out we were lied too, and cancelled within the cancelation period.
When we heard of DVC, we knew we would purchase, as we trusted Disney.
Our first stay, was everything and more we were told to expect.
What amazing vacations we have had due to DVC.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLayla View Post
I'm on the wait list for OKW and am starting to have doubts about whether or not it's worth it for me. I'm a single mom with two teens. We got to WDW every year, and I figure we'll be doing so for the next few years. But what happens when they are older and don't want to go... What then...

Tell me what made you buy dvc...
Are you sure they will grow out of it? I only really grew to LOVE WDW in my teens, and go all the time now as an adult with my DH.

We bought DVC last year because we want to continue to live the magic and make new memories when we do have children of our own.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
mariafh
Earning My Ears

Talking We been disney for a while - just made sense

A few reasons why we bought
(1) We have been going to disney at least every other year in the high end resorts.
(2) At that point, I been to disney more often without kids then with including 1 honeymoon. So I know there is a lot to do for adults as well.
(3) I have always impressed with the quality of services and everything they do to make your trip enjoyment. The attention to detail is amazing.
(4) I had a bonus from work and wanted to spend it on something that would hellp the entire family and last more than 1 one time
(5) Once the kids are gone which will be in 2 years, we plan to visit some of the other sites like hawaii and hilton head. And plan to go during the low times like October.
We did not do it to save money..
mariafh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #37
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

I would never buy any other timeshare. I am still giddy after 13 years that I own a piece of the mouse. I have to admit you have to love Disney for this to be worthwhile and everyone in my family does.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLayla View Post

Tell me what made you buy dvc...
We want to walk to the parks from our room, stay in accommodations with a kitchen and separate bedrooms, and save money in the long term vs. the options of booking on a discount or renting points.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

Hi
My name is Mel
I've always loved Disney World.
I am single ,but parent to three adult sons. I have one grandaughter.
I decided to do something just for ME. I did the Disney tour on my own,visited all the DVC resorts and then bought a small point contract resale at OKW.
I now have three small point contracts and travel once a year to Disney.
My contracts were paid in cash. My yearly dues are 1/3 of what a week stay in a studio at OKW would be staying cash.

I have a 10 park hopper non expiry that goes a long way when you only visit a park or two each visit.

I am still supporting all my sons (living at home) and attending school.
--someday they shall move out.

There are so many fun things you can do at Disney solo. My favorite is the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. I also love sitting around the pool and enjoying a good book. I will say my solo visits are slim as someone seems to always tag along with me.

Best wishes on making the right decision for YOU.
Hugs Mel
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
shellbelle1971
7 young DIS-ers in our castle

My DD17 is aghast at the thought that she might someday be "too old" for Disney trips. DS20 feels the same. If you spend enough time there with your teens they will never outgrow it!

supporting cast:

Ethan Charity Elijah Calvin Levi Naomi & Ivy
shellbelle1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #41
brertoad
DIS Veteran

We bought DVC because we were already spending too much OOP on hotel rooms. We're going to use it for years to come. I don't see us getting tired of it anytime soon.

I was convinced it would be the best way to save money in the long run. Maybe more up front, but the money spent OOP was already adding up. I just wish we did it sooner, but as they say, better late than never. It has definitely been better than we expected, we're thrilled with it. I love the pool hopping ability.

Becoming a DVC member came just in time for us get in on the PAP promotion for $399 last year. We bought vouchers for 2014 too. The cost for the pass would have been $595 each, so we saved close to $800 just on those 4 passes.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #42
Tcsj
Earning My Ears

We started taking our kids to Disney in 2006, and have gone every year since. Trips are 14-17 days at a time, the last 3 trips, we split between 2 different DVC resorts, 2 bedroom villas. Of course, cash price was thru the roof....

Resisted the sales "pitches" for several years, finally asked in 2011 about the cost. Given the cash we laid out for our 2 bedroom villas every year , we paid cash for 320 points at Aulani November 2011. We just returned from 10 days - first trip to Aulani (2 bedroom ocean view), and get this: the street cost of our room this trip almost equaled the cost of our DVC purchase of 320 points, excluding the MF. So, our purchase costs will be more than covered by the end of 2013 when we return to WDW, and we still have 48 years of travel left. We did not buy for, and have no intention of using RCI or anything, purely bought for the Disney Parks and Aulani.

Our points will benefit our kids, and (hopefully) grandkids for years to come.
Our kids are Disney fanatics- and HEY, we work hard all year- 2 weeks together at Disney every year has become a "tonic" for our family unit to re-connect.

We are looking now at buying at WDW now, probably 320 points. Only question, re-sale or direct? Have had some interesting discussions with our Guide lately....

Recent Past:BCV Christmas 2013/ SSR New Years 2013/Aulani 2013/BCV 2011/AKV 2011/AKV 2010/BLT 2010/DLHotel 2009/DLGC 2009/WDWCB 2008/WDWYC 2008/DLGC 2007/DL 2006/
Tcsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #43
texhanddoc
Let me tell you about how much I procrastinate... tomorrow.

Few reasons.

1. We go to Disney every year and will do so for the foreseeable future.
2. We have a family of 5 and we are cramped in a normal "hotel room" sized room.
3. We like having a kitchenette
4. I plan to use DVC far into the future to take my kids as they get older and their kids.
5. You really cant beat the theme park view of BLT

Me (42), Wifey (42), DD (11), DS (9), DD (5)

NEXT TRIP: June 2014
texhanddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcsj
We started taking our kids to Disney in 2006, and have gone every year since. Trips are 14-17 days at a time, the last 3 trips, we split between 2 different DVC resorts, 2 bedroom villas. Of course, cash price was thru the roof....

Resisted the sales "pitches" for several years, finally asked in 2011 about the cost. Given the cash we laid out for our 2 bedroom villas every year , we paid cash for 320 points at Aulani November 2011. We just returned from 10 days - first trip to Aulani (2 bedroom ocean view), and get this: the street cost of our room this trip almost equaled the cost of our DVC purchase of 320 points, excluding the MF. So, our purchase costs will be more than covered by the end of 2013 when we return to WDW, and we still have 48 years of travel left. We did not buy for, and have no intention of using RCI or anything, purely bought for the Disney Parks and Aulani.

Our points will benefit our kids, and (hopefully) grandkids for years to come.
Our kids are Disney fanatics- and HEY, we work hard all year- 2 weeks together at Disney every year has become a "tonic" for our family unit to re-connect.

We are looking now at buying at WDW now, probably 320 points. Only question, re-sale or direct? Have had some interesting discussions with our Guide lately....
But would 320 points be enough to cover your 2 BR ocean view villa for 10 days? If not then it's not a fair comparison. You should also look into renting DVC points as an option for your extended stays, as then can be had for 10% of the buy in cost.

As for the discussions with your sales person, let me guess...he said you should buy direct.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #45
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Because it pays for itself in 5-7 years.

Ever since we bought, each time I make a reservation I also go online and make plan a stay as if I were paying cash. And I have kept track over the 9 years that we have been DVC owners. My running tally as of 2013 is $21300. if I would have paid cash. Verse the $12,000 we spend on the DVC.

And with it being Disney you know you are getting a high quality room. One that is always maintained to a higher level and will not be neglected over time and become a dump.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: