Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Do We Have to Leave? - Our 4 day, Convention/fun stay, *Lot's o' Purdy Pics*

Seeing Disney World through adult eyes is much different than touring with your small children, I have to say. With no cute little faces to snap pictures of and with adults surrounding you in a work atmosphere 8 hours a day, night time at the Parks and Resorts ( I did alot of resort hopping while my husband was working the convention) can yield some really cool photos you never would have taken.

Back in late May, DH and I dropped the kids with the Grandparents ( a four hour drive) then flew out of their local airport to good ol MCO. He had to work a convention the entire time, so I had some time to explore parts of the DWorld I wouldn't have ever gotten to see with my kids in tow. Here are some pictures and my story! Since my trip was relatively brief, I will keep this report brief as well!

This is me... relaxed. Ridiculously and completely... relaxed.

This is DH. After a long day of work, we were about to get ready to hit Brown Derby for a nice dinner.

Grown up time at Brown Derby, then Fantasmic Package VIP seats. Perfect way to end a day of stressful work!

Grapefruit Cake... Incredible. YUM!

The view in the morning from our room door at the Contemporary. I'd never stayed at a Deluxe resort before so this was just one of those "savor every moment, drink it all in" kind of experiences. We are monorail fans, so this was a treat.

That completes our first day. It was mostly just unpacking, going to the meet and greet at the convention for my husband, and me just waiting patiently for early evening so we could ride my favorite ride in Disney, Toy Story Mania, and possibly finally beat my husband's score. After dinner and Fantasmic, I made him ride it until 12:30 am! Thank you EMH! ( three times. Never even came close to his score. Grrr. )

Ty for following, more to come in just a bit.

Our JULY 2013 Montage - Turn it up!!
7/9/13-7/14/13 Roasting our *** off at Silver Lake Resort. 7/14-7/17 Bonnet Creek
5/12 Four GLORIOUS days at Contempo. Kid free. (conference)
3/11 Food and Wine Festival (one day)
3/10 CBR - first time staying on property!
Our 2010 Montage - the kids were so little!
New! Convention TR 2012 - Now With More Zombie Flesh!

Last edited by SMWfamily; 03-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Okey Dokey day two n stuff.

Good Morning, Contempo!

Our view off the balcony on the incredibly sunny mornings...

I think this is what you are supposed to do with this structure... not sure... lol

View from the boat headed over to Wilderness Resort. had to wear Seabands, can you even imagine? My boat sickness is so darn annoying. My gosh is that place pretty! Loved wandering around alone.

After some exploring a Florida relative and I resort crashed at the Poly! Here's me with a gorgeous Hibiscus....

7/9/13-7/14/13 Roasting our *** off at Silver Lake Resort. 7/14-7/17 Bonnet Creek
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Ok one more group of piccys then I must head to the grocery store. Still waiting for Winter to end here in NJ, so some Disney memories are just what I need right now... Ok... on to some cool Wilderness Lodge pics.....

Probably one of my favorite resorts, purely because of the theming. I am a big plant nut, so I was ever so amazed at how they kept trees and plants that are native to the Northwest and North East alive in the scorching Orlando heat. I was idenitfying trees that should not be alive in Florida soil and heat, yet everything was absolutely perfectly healthy. Loved having the time to really take in the foiliage, and the smell.... what smell do you ask? Fir Pine needles! Don't think I wasn't noticing the smell, Disney! I know you even "theme" in the scents! It smells like Northern Maine as you walk the pool area.

Ah ha! you shouldn't be here...

pretty steaming thingie....

Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Sushi Night at the Poly

My husband's co-worker brought us out to Poly and comp'ed us a fabulous Sushi meal with yummy drinks. We made friends with the Sushi chef... he was from Boston... and laughed it up till well after midnight. Totally an unforgetable night.

This is a Volcano roll and Key Lime Martini I believe....

We caught the Electric Parade before we headed over to Poly for the Sushi..... I prefered Specto-Magic's music better, but it was fun to watch this with my hubby! I love this artsy shot of Tink I took with my phone.

Only a couple more posts to go! Feel free to comment!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Last and final day....

So after a night of debouchery and gluttony at the Poly Sushi bar, We headed back to Contempo on the monorail, quite tipsy I may add. Probably because half of my drinks were served in pineapples. Never bodes well for sobriety.

The next day, we hit MK....Here's my DH hittin up some corn dog nuggets from Casey's. This is our traditional snack place. Something about those corndog nuggets....makes you feel like a kid again.

The night we had the EMH at HS, we walked around down behind by the Raiders of the Lost Ark Stunt area, and found some remnant from the Star Wars weekend that had just passed....

Last edited by SMWfamily; 03-21-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Ok, thinking this will be my last round of pics n stuff. Here is a painting I want hung over my bed.... LOL

I am a huge fan of anything Pirates of the Carribean. I would go on that ride three times in a row if I could, and I swear if it was faster and scarier, I'd probably never leave the ride area. Pirate theming is one of my favs. And I don't particularly like fast rides, I just like the bejeesus scared out of me. One good thing is PCB is a GREAT ride to go on when its HOT out because the line is in an airconditioned, dark room. Love it!

Here's me with my favorite Golden Girl....

One of the best meals I had was when my aunt came to keep me company one day while the DH worked. We headed over to Poly for lunch. I had these ridiculously amazing noodles with tons of crunchy veggies in them, I think they were green beans, carrots, sprouts, broccoli rabe, peppers, onion, and pea pods. When I go back in July I am getting over there to get these noodles again, they were fabulous! The veggies just crunched so flavorfully into your mouth. There wasn't alot of salt or oil, even though they look oily, so you could really taste the freshness of the veggies. I got it with tofu. I could literally eat these noodles every day I was in Disney and wouldn't care.

Last edited by SMWfamily; 03-21-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
BurleyGirl
DIS Veteran

What a treat to have an adult trip!! Enjoyed reading your TR and seeing your pics!
DLH October '05 for the 50th!
YC December '06--First WDW Christmas!
GF October '08
YC November '14: making up for '13 cancelled trip
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Ok, favorite meal was the noodles, least favorite meal, was the turkey leg, AKA Zombie Flesh. Seeing this picture just reminded me of what happened the night we got turkey legs from the Turkey Leg cart in Adventureland and hunkered down on a potted tree "bench" to watch the Electric Parade. So we're sitting there, watching the crowds formed, in no hurry to do anything, just enjoying ( sort of) our turkey legs and lemonade, watching the sun set as the children around us start to cluster, and of course, the strollers, which I was pushing around Disney in 2010, are bumping us and almost knocking us off our seats. There are two other ladies sharing the tree "bench" with us, and the sun has now set..... all of a sudden one of the ladies SCREAMS! and as she screams, I turn to look at her and there is a RAT a REAL LIVE WILD RAT, come up OUT OF the tree area, GRABBED ON TO her turkey leg, and the little rat squeaks, jumps, and runs down the wooden area ( over by the shooting range if you know where that is in Adventureland) and dives into a hole in the boardwalk. I look at the woman, the woman looks at me, and I just burst out in hysterical laughter. I have had pet rats since I was a teen ager on and off, so I am not particularly skeeved by rats or mice, but wild ones are not exactly a good thing to have hanging off your turkey leg! I am sitting there just whoopin it up and this lady is just horrified to the point of not being able to even talk. They got up and left! Husband and I stayed put to enjoy the parade, but I threw my turkey leg out as not to attract a wild rat! We did see more after that scurrying around the streets of Adventureland so Watch out!!! lol

A few minutes before the Turkey leg thieving rat tried to steal a snack! BLECH!

ZOOOMBIEEEE FLESH! lololol

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
BurleyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWfamily View Post
I turn to look at her and there is a RAT a REAL LIVE WILD RAT, come up OUT OF the tree area, GRABBED ON TO her turkey leg, and the little rat squeaks, jumps, and runs down the wooden area ( over by the shooting range if you know where that is in Adventureland) and dives into a hole in the boardwalk. I look at the woman, the woman looks at me, and I just burst out in hysterical laughter. I have had pet rats since I was a teen ager on and off, so I am not particularly skeeved by rats or mice, but wild ones are not exactly a good thing to have hanging off your turkey leg! I am sitting there just whoopin it up and this lady is just horrified to the point of not being able to even talk. They got up and left! Husband and I stayed put to enjoy the parade, but I threw my turkey leg out as not to attract a wild rat! We did see more after that scurrying around the streets of Adventureland so Watch out!!! lol
OK, I was enjoying your TR! That's got to be in the top 5 grossest things I've ever heard of!! I'm not even sure there would be enough Disney Magic to make that poor lady overcome that one, but I certainly hope she got some after that! Wow!
DLH October '05 for the 50th!
YC December '06--First WDW Christmas!
GF October '08
YC November '14: making up for '13 cancelled trip
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurleyGirl View Post
OK, I was enjoying your TR! That's got to be in the top 5 grossest things I've ever heard of!! I'm not even sure there would be enough Disney Magic to make that poor lady overcome that one, but I certainly hope she got some after that! Wow!
OMG I KNOW RIGHT? I am here in NJ freezing to death in the longest winter of my discontent, so I thought I'd go through pics and do a trip report while I had the time... and this memory just came SHOOTING into my head when I saw this picture. I was really un-nerved, but that poor lady was hopping around squeeling and almost fell backwards into the potted tree!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
SMWfamily
Stinkerbell

Pretty sure that completes my trip report! Now I have to figure out how to send it over to completed trip reports n stuff. I will have another one of these to do for July. Can't even believe it. I seriously need to invest in a better camera!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

Great report. Really enjoyed reading. Glad to meet a fellow NJ diser. We've done a couple conventions at Disney ourselves and can really relate. Love the Bay Lake. Our family stayed at Ft wilderness growing up and I will always treasure that area.

Can't believe the rats story. Will keep a close watch in the future. Haven't seen any yet, but really wasn't looking. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
tammilynne
Mouseketeer

The grapefruit cake and sushi looks delicious!!!!

How fun to have an adult only trip

June 2006 All Star Movies - Star Wars weekends
July 2011 All Star Movies/Hard Rock Hotel- Disney/Universal trip
June 2013 Coronado Springs -Star Wars Weekends

Tags
adult, contemporary, poly, sushi, turkeyleg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: