Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Child nearly drowns in pool on Disney Fantasy

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/disney-c...ey_Fantasy.htm

Quote:
A 4-year-old boy nearly drowned in the family pool onboard the Disney Fantasy while it was still docked at Port Canaveral Saturday, March 30. The boy was found "in distress" in the pool around 3:30 pm; the ship was scheduled to leave port around 5:45 pm. Witnesses commented on this thread on the DISboards to say his parents were not in the pool at the time of the incident, but "ran over while emergency rescuers worked on him." He had a pulse when he left the ship, but his current condition is unknown. He was transported by ambulance to Cape Canaveral Hospital, and then flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando. For more details click link.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
monica9
Mouseketeer

Parents were not in the pool? 4 years old? They ran up to him while the rescuers were working on him? Where the heck were they? I hope no one thinks this is Disney's fault! I have a 4 year old who knows how to swim and I still wouldn't leave my daughters site for one second while she was in a pool.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Parents were not in the pool? 4 years old? They ran up to him while the rescuers were working on him? Where the heck were they? I hope no one thinks this is Disney's fault! I have a 4 year old who knows how to swim and I still wouldn't leave my daughters site for one second while she was in a pool.
The "not in the pool" info came from newsites referencing "witness reports" that were posted on the DIS so take that with a grain of salt. I do hope that the child makes a full and complete recovery but I also can't see how anyone could blame Disney for this although I am sure that there are some people that will.

People need to know that if you have a small child make sure that you watch them constantly because Disney castmembers aren't there to babysit and the pools have signage stating "swim at your own risk" & "no lifeguards on duty". I do have major empathy for the parents because I can't imagine going through that but I also know that when my kids where that age (my youngest is 7) they were never near a pool without me or DH being a arm, or two, lengths (max.) away from them. It is easy to get "lost in the moment" of being on the ship for the first time, getting ready to sail, getting a beverage, etc. so I can sorta (big sorta) see how a parent could get distracted and lose visual of their child but not for more than a few seconds if the child is that young. I'm trying to not blame the parents because I know that with small children things can happen in a blink of an eye but with a toddler/pre-schooler (even with any elementary aged child) you have to watch them like a hawk.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

my main concern here would be the number of people who seem to have no knowledge of water safety. Our DD4 has been taught water safety since she could walk. When visiting a place with a pool, we don't walk on the "deck" area around the pool without a grown-up--even if other kids are doing it (friends and grandparents both have pools). Drowning happens SO fast, teaching water safety is really important. I think people vacationing, who maybe don't have regular access to pools forget to talk about that with their kids.

Prayers to the family--this is an awful thing to happen to anyone.

First trip: 1989 -off site (but hey, I was 10!)
1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
2012-September-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Next trip: New Years 2013-Port Orleans Riverside!
cuteduck223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
codysmom1990
Mouseketeer

Very sad indeed, prayers to the family, but it is the parents who neeed to watch their children. I would never let my 11 year old go alone to pool, let alone a 4 year old by water. Why were they not watching their child? I hope everything will be ok.
codysmom1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: