Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #106
Timandalicia
Mouseketeer

Here is some interesting factual data. Disney films grossed 5 billion and net 4 billion last year. Disney parks grossed 12 billion and net 2 billion (sorry I don't know they past tense of net). You can look it up. They are public after all.
That means even though you are paying more, they pump a ton of money back into the parks. It's value. Did you know they paint the eves of the Beach Club Villas every year (example). Every year- they sand them and repaint them. I know because they do it in Feb. when I go. That is just an example of what they do that we probably would have never noticed or guessed, yet we just can feel the freshness of the place.
I like the term "too greedy". It implies that a certain amount of greed is ok... That we except that. When really, the definition says that it is inherently a bad thing. It is more appropriate to say, "Is it worth the money?" And that is why the discussion continues, because that is a matter if perspective on value. Value of not only what you get, but what you will get in the future. It is an investment. If they charged more and started to go down hill, as they admittedly did at one point in the nineties (you can look that up too), I might think differently. But thinking about the above information, I still feel the value. I hope this info helps you to do the same.
Timandalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #107
ScrampShopper
Mouseketeer

I didn't get to go to Disney World until my 30th B-day, and it wasn't for a lack of wanting to go. My sister and I begged my parents all the time, but we could not afford it. Growing up, vacation was visiting family within driving distance and going to an attraction or two near there. We never stayed in hotels. We also never ate out at home. No matter how reasonable the restaurant owners thought their prices were, they were still too much for us to afford. It never occurred to me to say Disney was greedy and charged too much and that is why I couldn't go as a child.

My child is going on her 5th trip to Disney before she turns 3. She gets to go because I like it, not because she saw a commercial and said she wanted to go (she does ask now that she has some memories of it, but that does not determine my vacation decisions). I have friends whose kids will probably never see a Disney park. These kids will also never have the same kind of wardrobe as my child. Does that mean the children's clothing companies need to lower their prices. Does the same go for the toy companies? All of these companies, including Disney work with the Supply and Demand model. If the demand reduces, Disney prices will reduce/ more discounts will be available. When I price out my Disney vacation, I put a value on what certain things mean to me. I have not yet reached the point of being priced out because a Disney vacation still has plenty of value for me. If I don't end up liking the Fastpass Plus system and the benefit of EMH is taken away, then the value for me will be greatly reduced, even if prices decline.

I would love to have my own private jet to fly me whereever I wanted whenever I wanted, but unfortunately, the private jet industry is greedy and keeps the prices too high and prevents me from purchasing a jet, and don't get me started on the Lamborghini and Ferrari organizations.
ScrampShopper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #108
jboysen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post

See I think that is because when you was younger there was not adverts every night showing DIsney world on TV!!!
I don't know 1 parent that does not say to me when we tell them we are going to Disney that they wish they could take their child,

On fbook I regularly see mums who say their child had just seen the new Disney world advert and how they have been begging to go, that parent then says how upset they are to see the child sad that they can't go, I've seen it and heard it maybe that's why we feel like that,

When I was little I was going every single year NON of my friends was, half of them hasn't even heard of Disney world, I guess that's where differences come in again.
I'm 35 three weeks from 36 and I'll tell I saw plenty of WDW commercials growing up. They had a Disney show on most Sunday nights and that is all that was advertised. I went to Disneyland when I was 9 and as much as my sister and I would have loved for mom and dad to take us to WDW it didn't happen until I was 17. I never felt neglected or like I was missing out on something and we didn't really take tourist type vacations. Just up to my grandpa's cabin a couple of times a summer. It's parents that put the pressure on themselves to give their child EVERYTHING. we have been traveling 1 to 2 times a year for 6 1/2 years now. Sometimes we can only visit once and sometimes we can go twice and if we could only afford to go every other year or every three years I would be fine with that. I don't fault Disney for the prices or cuts, that's how the business world works. I do expect excellent customer service from the employees because my trip(s) are helping to pay your wage. So do I think Disney is getting greedy? Not really, would I love to see no price increases this year, absolutely. Will we have to decide to cut here or there to go whether it be at home or at WDW sure, but nobody is forcing us to go. I have friends that spend way more on places I can't ever imagine going and they can't believe how many times we have gone to WDW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: