Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
disneychell
Earning My Ears

Im from the UK aswell and have been staying onsite for the past 4 years- I have to be honest and say that ive found the increase in price each year has been reasonable and in line with what I would expect. The main hike in the price for us is down to the ticket increase each year, the hotel including dining plan (which we have always got free) isn't that much more. Everything goes up each year- not just disney prices. Admittedly pricing out for next year it does look like theres no deals at the moment but they don't normally come out untill april/may so I will wait it out a bit longer before booking next year. We stay at moderate resorts though so this may be why we don't see the big increase you have. Definately our biggest expense is the ridiculous flight prices! Even if prices keep going up I will keep saving and going to my happy place, lol. The alternative is Disneyland paris- hmmm now theres a place that I would class as greedy, there prices are extortionate!
disneychell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #32
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

What are you Brits complaining about? You're making out like bandits when you visit the US, due to the exchange rate.

lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #33
redheadjamie32
Earning My Ears

Wink

Not to beat a dead horse, but the perceived FREE dining plan isn't free at all because you have to pay full price for your room in order to get it.

We booked our room at a 30% discount and paid for the standard dining plan which will get us a quick service, a snack, and a table service each for every day that we are there. There are websites that have worked out everything about maximizing your dining plan so if your gripe is that it's not free then maximize it - go to Wolfgang Puck for your quick service and order that bacon wrapped meatloaf, order the NY Strip at The Sci-Fi Diner - just research a little more and you will walk out of there thinking "we saved eleventy billion percent on dining"

I understand the reviews about the dining plan are hit or miss some people say it's too much food, other say "I ate because I felt I had to" I think this is the right amount of food for us - we're a family of 6. Personally I wish I could purchase extra table service credits because I just found myself wanting to do way too many of those LOL but all in due time. We can do it the next go round.

And is everyone in your neck of the woods Royal Baby crazy or what??

Cheers,
Jamie
redheadjamie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
What are you Brits complaining about? You're making out like bandits when you visit the US, due to the exchange rate.

I'm guessing your joking as if you have seen the exchange rate for the last few months it's been bloody poor lmao!
No more $2/3 to the £ for us anymore!

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychell View Post
Im from the UK aswell and have been staying onsite for the past 4 years- I have to be honest and say that ive found the increase in price each year has been reasonable and in line with what I would expect. The main hike in the price for us is down to the ticket increase each year, the hotel including dining plan (which we have always got free) isn't that much more. Everything goes up each year- not just disney prices. Admittedly pricing out for next year it does look like theres no deals at the moment but they don't normally come out untill april/may so I will wait it out a bit longer before booking next year. We stay at moderate resorts though so this may be why we don't see the big increase you have. Definately our biggest expense is the ridiculous flight prices! Even if prices keep going up I will keep saving and going to my happy place, lol. The alternative is Disneyland paris- hmmm now theres a place that I would class as greedy, there prices are extortionate!
The fact you stay moderate could be the reason your not seeing much if an increase!
I'll break our last holiday down and then you can see what I'm on about for us personally.

I'm only going to include Disney priced things in this.

Last yr
16 nights SSR 2 bed with free DDP and 14 day ultimate ticket for 4 Disney adults and 2 children £4890

This year exact same holiday
£ 9260

I would say that's a HUGE increase! Even if you take away the fact I'm paying for the DDP this time the increase is over £2000 that's quite a hike if you ask me!!

That's doesn't include any flights so there on top.

So when you think they are lowering some of the perks ( yes I get there are lot of them ) but hiking up prices I mean do they need to increase their food prices so much?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadjamie32 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but the perceived FREE dining plan isn't free at all because you have to pay full price for your room in order to get it.

We booked our room at a 30% discount and paid for the standard dining plan which will get us a quick service, a snack, and a table service each for every day that we are there. There are websites that have worked out everything about maximizing your dining plan so if your gripe is that it's not free then maximize it - go to Wolfgang Puck for your quick service and order that bacon wrapped meatloaf, order the NY Strip at The Sci-Fi Diner - just research a little more and you will walk out of there thinking "we saved eleventy billion percent on dining"

I understand the reviews about the dining plan are hit or miss some people say it's too much food, other say "I ate because I felt I had to" I think this is the right amount of food for us - we're a family of 6. Personally I wish I could purchase extra table service credits because I just found myself wanting to do way too many of those LOL but all in due time. We can do it the next go round.

And is everyone in your neck of the woods Royal Baby crazy or what??

Cheers,
Jamie

My grip is definatly nothing to do with the dining plan not being free, we have always paid for it except last year when we got it free!!
We always maximise our plan our kids are still of an age where they want to do character meals and the prices of those are insane!
Plus the wife enjoys signature meals and so we all go along to those too!

We love the DDP we always get the normal plan,
We actually don't always pay rack rate to get the free plan so it is actually FREE for us!
Last yr we got 42% off the SSR plus free dining plan, when you have 6 Disney adults ( we upgrade the 7 yr old twins to the adult plan) then that is a saving of over £3500 which is way more then any room discount is going to get me if I did have to choose!
Of course is there's only 2 in your party or even 3 I can see the room discount being much more of a benefit!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #37
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Short answer.

No.

Long Answer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It is their duty to produce revenue which in turn produces profit. They can be deemed greedy when their profits suffer as a result of pricing themselves out of the market. Until then, they're priced appropriately.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post

I know it's out of their control, however the prices of flights have increased, it appears Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to reduce the financial cost, in fact increasing their own prices!

Your thoughts?
Disney isn't going to cut their prices to make up for the cost of another business.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShea's View Post
Short answer.

No.

Long Answer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It is their duty to produce revenue which in turn produces profit. They can be deemed greedy when their profits suffer as a result of pricing themselves out of the market. Until then, they're priced appropriately.
Exactly. If you look at how crowded the parks are, it's hard to say that Disney is being greedy, since people are obviously still willing to pay the prices that Disney is offering. If Disney were greedy, the prices would be high and consumers would decide not to come to the park (or not visit bbb or not stay on site, etc). That doesn't seem to be the case.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Crude View Post
As a current shareholder, anything less would be a breach of the company's duty to me.

As a customer, I sometimes wish they would double the price so I could go during Christmas without fighting the crowds!
Amen
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post
I know this is going to be more relevant for the Britts. As with the shape of the economy, we certainly have less petty cash!

Disney have recently made changes with regards to it's packages/deals or for a better word, lack of deals.

I know it's out of their control, however the prices of flights have increased, it appears Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to reduce the financial cost, in fact increasing their own prices!

Firstly free dining has literally been taken off the table

Magic hours are being removed from the evenings in Magic Kingdom and a possibility that the other parks may follow suit?

The fast pass scheme has been replaced with a different scheme, which to be honest, what was wrong with the fast pass system? It worked, why fix it with a Pre booking scheme? Profit gain?

So these elements combined has led to me to draw to the conclusion, that there are several individuals at the HQ in California who are to be frank becoming greedy and tarnishing Walt Disney's dream and ideology.
It was never his aim to be poor, of course he wanted financial gain but not to exploit his idea at every turn.

Remember the question, is Disney becoming too greedy? Could they do more?

Your thoughts?
In a word Yes. When I look back at what we paid for our Disney trips just a few years ago to now, and what we got at those prices and what we get now, it honestly makes me sick to my stomach...although mainly because I foresee an end to our annual Disney trips very soon, because of the prices.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #42
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash

In a word Yes. When I look back at what we paid for our Disney trips just a few years ago to now, and what we got at those prices and what we get now, it honestly makes me sick to my stomach...although mainly because I foresee an end to our annual Disney trips very soon, because of the prices.
And this is so very upsetting! it's so hard to think that people who have been able to go for years are having to face that fact they either won't be going for a long time or even at all........

I couldn't believe my eyes when I seem how much the SAME trip for this yr had gone up by from last, and I dread to think what next years prices will be like!

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison

Disney isn't going to cut their prices to make up for the cost of another business.
And nobody is asking them to "cut" their prices but do they really have to put them up by so many $$$ for the exact same trip? Everything has gone up I get it BUT Disney has taken for lack of a better word the Mickey!!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #44
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler

Exactly. If you look at how crowded the parks are, it's hard to say that Disney is being greedy, since people are obviously still willing to pay the prices that Disney is offering. If Disney were greedy, the prices would be high and consumers would decide not to come to the park (or not visit bbb or not stay on site, etc). That doesn't seem to be the case.
Hahaha the prices are exactly reasonable!!
They want £470 odd a night for a 2 bed villa when you can get that for £100 off site! Of course there is always going to be hundreds of people willing to pay the prices, many come for that once in a life time trip, many other only stay a wk less then that BUT when your staying for at least 14/21 nights the prices are insane!!

We paid last trip in total including everything £13,000 that's a deposit on a house!
Disney do not have to keep hiking up their prices for everything to make a bloody good profit! They could keep reasonable and still make a fortune as they do every year.

I guess we will see what happens when they start lowering the discounts and decreasing the free dining plans cause for any family over 4/5 people the costs will be insane.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

This article about Q1 2013 earnings made for an interesting read. A observation from that writer that drew my attention was:

Quote:
...the point is that (while the devil is in the details) for equal amounts of revenue, in general Disney is better off with higher prices and slightly lower crowds than it is with lower prices and higher crowds.

In the first instance it both makes more money and has higher guest satisfaction. In the second, because variable costs go up with higher crowds and, in general, guest satisfaction goes down with higher crowds, it may both perform less well economically and see lower satisfaction.
((emphasis mine))

http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/02/07...earnings-call/

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: