Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

I think when Disneyland was built it was a dream. Walts dream of a place where families could go in California and have a nice affordable day with their children. I can remember as a child seeing black and white pictures of Disneyland and wishing to go! But I am not so nieve to think that it was not also a business adventure for a way for Walt to make some money for himself and his family.
When Walt Disney was built I think that dream of an affordable day for families flew out the window! LOL! It became an affordable week! LOL! I first visited Walt Disney in early 1970's when it was first built and you could see everything in 3 days. Especially how you had to pick and choose what you saw , either A B Cor D on the old tickets. Thats one change I'm happy about! Then we visited Disneyland in 1983. You could see it in a day. Just the size made it more affordable. Now you can't see everything at Walt Disney World in 2 weeks there is so much to do! It all starts to add up to a very expensive vacation week soon! So I think its up to us as individuals to pick and choose what we want to do and downsize to what our pocket books can afford. For everyone it will be different.
I think Disney is going to price things to make money just like any other business. Its a huge place and I can't even imagine how much money or what it takes to keep Disney going! But sometimes I think, Gee can't they give us a break! LOL! But...they are not going to offer discounts except when they need to lear people into coming. I don't think the free dining, extra magic hours or anything we like is offered for our benefit, but for theres. If it makes a proffit they'll do it and if not they will stop. Its just that simple. So yes they are as greedy as the next business is!
Walt Disney is an amusement park and its not really a place that exist for our benefit! LOL! Even if we loose ourselves in it for a week with our own greed for enjoyment, with all the make believe, food, drink or what ever, we also loose our hard earned money and pay dearly for that week! LOL!
My parents took all of us to Fort Wilderness in the early 1970's when Walt Disney first opened. That was it and they never went back. They never wanted to! That was enough for them! LOL!
Since 1980's my husband and I have taken our family to Walt Disney 7 times and we went 1 time by ourseves. We have been to Disneyland 1 time. We have a trip planned for 2013. I read on here where some people go every year.
So it just depends how much it is worth to you! I guess as long as alot of people like us(some more than others) will pay for what Disney charges they will continue to build, and add, and redo, lear us, and try to satisfy us from time to time in their need to turn a profit! Its a great plan! LOL! Give the people what they want and they will come! LOL! When they won't we'll throw in a discount off the hotel, give free dining, or extra magic hours! LOL! Free dining gets me! LOL!

Last edited by Southern Bell; 03-20-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

It's Brits, not Britts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post

So these elements combined has led to me to draw to the conclusion, that there are several individuals at the HQ in California who are to be frank becoming greedy and tarnishing Walt Disney's dream and ideology.
It was never his aim to be poor, of course he wanted financial gain but not to exploit his idea at every turn.

Remember the question, is Disney becoming too greedy? Could they do more?

Your thoughts?
As already posted, Disney is a business. The purpose of a business is to make money. I'm sure Disney's shareholders wouldn't be too happy if the company was losing money.

There are many other fantastic places to visit all over the world! No need to support a company you think is greedy.

You might want to read a good biography of Walt Disney. The man was no saint.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post
I know this is going to be more relevant for the Britts. As with the shape of the economy, we certainly have less petty cash!

Disney have recently made changes with regards to it's packages/deals or for a better word, lack of deals.

I know it's out of their control, however the prices of flights have increased, it appears Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to reduce the financial cost, in fact increasing their own prices!

Firstly free dining has literally been taken off the table

Magic hours are being removed from the evenings in Magic Kingdom and a possibility that the other parks may follow suit?

The fast pass scheme has been replaced with a different scheme, which to be honest, what was wrong with the fast pass system? It worked, why fix it with a Pre booking scheme? Profit gain?

So these elements combined has led to me to draw to the conclusion, that there are several individuals at the HQ in California who are to be frank becoming greedy and tarnishing Walt Disney's dream and ideology.
It was never his aim to be poor, of course he wanted financial gain but not to exploit his idea at every turn.

Remember the question, is Disney becoming too greedy? Could they do more?

Your thoughts?
Disney is reacting to the old economic concept of supply and demand. When the economy was in the tank, they were offering discounts and FD to entice those less willing to spend the money on a big vacation to pull the trigger. Now that the park attendance is rising and rooms are full, it is not necessary any more. I do agree that the continual price increases are pricing families out of the market, but there are a lot of other foreign countries where the lower value of the dollar is making Disney less expensive.

With the increase in costs that all businesses are incurring right now, raising prices in necessary to keep the same profit margins as before. So to answer your question about being greedy. No, I don't think it is an issue of greed. It is an issue of "How do we keep profits at a certain level to keep investors happy?". Unfortunately as long as enough people pay the prices, Disney will continue to raise them. For my family, we save up and plan our Disney vacations carefully and still believe we get our monies worth when we go. If we ever feel cheated or that Disney did not meet our expectations, we'll find a new destination to spend our family time.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

I expect any company to try to MAXIMIZE profits- that is their job... that is what stockholders want to see! They know what they are doing- they will only increase things as much as they can and still make more money and not lose people.

I'm fine with any changes they make - i will adjust my budget accordingly - save more, wait longer to return if I need more time to save, etc. I won't complain that they are doing what they need to do to maximize profits - good for them. That's what running a company is all about.

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Texas Crude
Mouseketeer

As a current shareholder, anything less would be a breach of the company's duty to me.

As a customer, I sometimes wish they would double the price so I could go during Christmas without fighting the crowds!
Texas Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Hi all,

I'm married to the OP and wanted to give more of a back ground about us then what he has,

I have been going to Disney for the last 25 years, for at least 3 wks at a time so I remember what Disney WAS like!
We go every other yr for 3 wks at a time and stay at either SSR or AKL so we can easily afford the trips we take and like my DH said will continue to do so,
We have never gotten the DDP free except last trip so that was just a bonus, apart from that we have paid for it every time!!

For me the pros of staying on site was the evening EMH which have been shortened and now have a threat of being taken away all together, we also have had most promotions taken away.
Just because my Dh and I can afford the trips the thread was more about the general cost of a Disney holiday and sorry but it has gone up a lot!

Dining prices have increased to a insane amount, " you can't do a character meal for under $200 for a family if 5, ( outside if Disney property food is reasonable so it's not just because the economy has changed)
Disney used to be affordable to most however now I see a lot of posts from family's that have to save for years before going its a sad thing to see.

We love Disney and understand there will be many who stick up for Disney no matter what, but in our opinion Disney has started to get greedy. I mean even monorail hotels don't get the full benefits of the monorail due to cut hours after a certain time?!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette
Disney has always been greedy. Maximizing profits is what capitalism is all about. Disney does it quite well. Every major corporation has number crunchers who determine what they must charge in order to stay in the black and then they forecast how much they can charge to make the most money. A certain number of guests will find that the amount is more than they are willing to spend and the bean counters take this into consideration. It sounds like you may be one of those guests.
No the amount is not more then we are willing to pay personally but we have read many threads ( more on the UK side) of how Disney is pricing out many family's,

1st they stick up the food prices to make the DDP look a better deal while bringing down the actual quality of the food!
Then they stick the price up of the DDP to make it a ridiculous amount,
Next they cut the monorail hours to monorail hotels ( a perk that is being paid for with high prices)
Then evening magic hours are cut " thought this was a perk of staying onsite?

When it comes to staying onsite Disney have gotten greedy while sticking up prices & cutting out perks!! What will be so special about staying onsite??

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
Texas Crude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea
Hi all,

I'm married to the OP and wanted to give more of a back ground about us then what he has,

I have been going to Disney for the last 25 years, for at least 3 wks at a time so I remember what Disney WAS like!
We go every other yr for 3 wks at a time and stay at either SSR or AKL so we can easily afford the trips we take and like my DH said will continue to do so,
We have never gotten the DDP free except last trip so that was just a bonus, apart from that we have paid for it every time!!

For me the pros of staying on site was the evening EMH which have been shortened and now have a threat of being taken away all together, we also have had most promotions taken away.
Just because my Dh and I can afford the trips the thread was more about the general cost of a Disney holiday and sorry but it has gone up a lot!

Dining prices have increased to a insane amount, " you can't do a character meal for under $200 for a family if 5, ( outside if Disney property food is reasonable so it's not just because the economy has changed)
Disney used to be affordable to most however now I see a lot of posts from family's that have to save for years before going its a sad thing to see.

We love Disney and understand there will be many who stick up for Disney no matter what, but in our opinion Disney has started to get greedy. I mean even monorail hotels don't get the full benefits of the monorail due to cut hours after a certain time?!
Look, bottom line is that more people want to go to disney world during peak times than Disney really has capacity for, so they raise the price. People have said "every day is crowded now days". This means they are not charging enough. Character meals are $200 for a family? Well, guess what? If you don't sign up for it 5 months in advance you won't get one. That means they are not charging enough. It's not about greed, it's about finding a price that evens out supply and demand, and from the looks of it they still have plenty of room to go up.
Texas Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
bigmamimia
Mouseketeer

I do think that the Disney dining plan is crazy. The whole idea of having to sit down to a meal every day is not inviting to me. We go for a week at a time and only eat one sit down meal the entire time. Besides that we do counter service, eat in room, and the cafeteria style meals at the value hotels. I guess I am a park commando I am there strictly for the amusement park rides. I can't imagine taking 2 hours out of every day to sit at one of those ridiculously priced meals. However, I see on the disboards that many people love it and do it every time. I'd rather pay OOP if we did eat table meals.
bigmamimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan
Disney knows the threshold of price increase to consumer loss that allows them to make more money.

Example: 10,000 families spend $2000 to go to Disney. Disney makes $20 million

The next year they increase prices by $500. So only 9000 families decide to spend $2500 and go. Disney makes $22.5 million with 1000 less families.

In fact, or order to lose money, 2001 families would have to decide not to go because they don't want to pay $2500. Disney doesn't think they will have that level of attrition over $500.

It stinks that you are one of the small percentage if families that can't afford to go. But Disney is a business, not a charity or government agency. They are there to make money. Going to Disney isn't an unalienable right, just like driving a BMW isn't. Yes, Walt wanted Disney to be accessible to all, but that idyllic way of thinking almost put the company under a time or two. Walt also wanted the parks to be forever growing and changing, and that takes money.
I totally understand what you are getting luckily we are NOT part of the percentage that can not afford to go, been going for 24 years not about to stop now lol.
I just wish that other family's was not priced out and that when staying and paying the prices for onsite we still got the PERKS for paying that price.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #26
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Crude View Post

Look, bottom line is that more people want to go to disney world during peak times than Disney really has capacity for, so they raise the price. People have said "every day is crowded now days". This means they are not charging enough. Character meals are $200 for a family? Well, guess what? If you don't sign up for it 5 months in advance you won't get one. That means they are not charging enough. It's not about greed, it's about finding a price that evens out supply and demand, and from the looks of it they still have plenty of room to go up.
Actually free dining is the reason you have to book 5 months in advance!!
When you actually paid for dining it was alot easier to get a table for dinner, prices increased because of the DDP and and everywhere is booked up because of them!
I believe that when they take away free dining you won't have to book 5 months in advance because people won't want to pay the prices!

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
No the amount is not more then we are willing to pay personally but we have read many threads ( more on the UK side) of how Disney is pricing out many family's,

1st they stick up the food prices to make the DDP look a better deal while bringing down the actual quality of the food!
Then they stick the price up of the DDP to make it a ridiculous amount,
Next they cut the monorail hours to monorail hotels ( a perk that is being paid for with high prices)
Then evening magic hours are cut " thought this was a perk of staying onsite?

When it comes to staying onsite Disney have gotten greedy while sticking up prices & cutting out perks!! What will be so special about staying onsite??
You're proving the point that Disney's executives are making. which is that they can raise prices, cut back on perks and people will still pay for it. In the process, there are families that will be priced out of the experience. Disney realizes that some people will decide to spend their money elsewhere. They're raising their prices to a level that they feel the market will bear. If they underestimated the pocketbooks of their guests, they won't make as big a profit this year as they did last year.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

They haven't totally eliminated Extra Magic Hour nights from the Magic Kingdom. Cut back, yes. Eliminated no.

As far as not having as many discounts as they had in the past, Disney did warn us about that. If the parks continue to be full they have no reason to offer discounts.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
You're proving the point that Disney's executives are making. which is that they can raise prices, cut back on perks and people will still pay for it. In the process, there are families that will be priced out of the experience. Disney realizes that some people will decide to spend their money elsewhere. They're raising their prices to a level that they feel the market will bear. If they underestimated the pocketbooks of their guests, they won't make as big a profit this year as they did last year.
And that's exactly what we mean by being GREEDY! Just because you CAN do something does not mean you should?!
Just because I can eat 10 cream cakes does not mean it would be good to do so,

I just think that the fact the UK are still in a recession means that they will proberly lose out on the UK customers " not altogether but when it comes to staying insure" I'm sure if I was to ask this on the UK boards the answers would be very different infact it's actually what comes up frequently over their which is why I asked it on here to see what the US side thought.

I suppose the main difference is that you guys don't have to pay at least $800 just to get to Disney and before any body says flight prices are not Disneys fault I'm not saying they are.

Also if I lived in the US ( which I may do from September) I would be going for much shorter trips of maybe a wk or even less where as when I go from the UK we have to do at least 2 wks just to make the flight worth it. Which brings our holidays up to a price much higher then the majority of the US visitors.

I'm guessing not many mind that prices have gone up and yet perks of staying onsite have gone down??
Like my wife said monorail hours have been cut, magic hours have been cut it makes the lure of staying onsite less attractive when you can get much better rooms for half the price.

You will always get a huge range of opinions which all are entitled to, it's just interesting to see what others think of the situation which is why I started the thread

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOS
I agree with the OP. I think they are becoming greedy.

We have gone every year (most years twice)..since our kids were infants. We bought DVC at the Beach Club and we purchase annual passes most years.

It has most definitely changed to maximize profits over those 10 years.

I know they will always try to make a profit (I'm not naive) but there is a difference between making a profit and maximizing.

I've seen the focus shift from making things special for children (and adults). Little extras..Just because. to how can we sell this and attract even more people.

The Halloween party has become overrun with people...when it started it was a very special thing for our family. See the Villains, great parade, trick or treating...and get on rides with little to no lines...Now people have fist fights over their spot at a parade....no thanks.

The the dining plan... We do a TS every night.. We didn't buy into it because I don't eat an appetizer, entree and dessert... Too much food... It was more economical to pay out of pocket... Disney has since raise prices on all their dishes so even ordering a garden salad will cost you $20.

There is no such thing as a low crowd day any longer...irregardless of what time of year you go.. build more and more hotels but only expansion of the parks was a few rides in fantasyland?

and dont even get me going with the amount of people they let register for the run disney events..the princess half marathon was down right dangerous...

Ok..end of rant./..

I'm still a dvc member and next year we are trying our first disney cruise...I'm still giving them my money.. but I'm still very aware of these changes and consider them a negative... and will effect my future purchases..

I'm just editing to add, there is more to business than just maximizing profits. That is a short term goal. There is the customer experience..that produces loyalty, reputation.
This is exactly what my hubby was trying to get at,
He has only been going to Disney since 2006 and has already seen a huge change since then!!
I however have been going for 24years and so it saddens me to see some of these changes,

I understand fully that they need to make money to be able to do things like the new FLE and that's great but I can't help but feel that they are going beyond profit!

I mean when it comes to the food prices wow is all I can say, My parents have been going since DIsney world 1st opened and so I know that for a long time food was the same price as it was anywhere else!
We go to theme parks all over the place and in the UK theme parks food prices are insane and the food is awful!! So I always loved coming to DIsney and enjoying AMAZING food at decent prices.
Add the DDP make it free then put the prices up by an insane amount whilst lowering the quality and having to book months in advance,
I'm sorry but I don't feel that TS places are booked up 5 months in advance due to them being so good value or because people will pay what ever ....it's because its FREE.

We always go in September through to October and so we also have noticed that no time is low time anymore so of course I agree that Disney is packed all year long but I feel it's because of the promotions quite season is busy as its more affordable "I guess we will soon see if that changes"

I'm happy to pay the prices as we can afford it but just because I can afford it doesn't mean I'm happy about it! I can see what's happening higher prices for little perks and that's sad to see

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: