Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'
 
faindrops27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,623

I remember getting free dining when it was offered in the spring for several years. I cannot remember it ever being offered this late in March. When was it offered to the general public last year for fall?
__________________
BOUNCE BACK FREE DINE HERE WE COME!

faindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by faindrops27
I remember getting free dining when it was offered in the spring for several years. I cannot remember it ever being offered this late in March. When was it offered to the general public last year for fall?
The late summer/early fall free dining dates were released early last year, March 3. Every other year it has been late March/early April. In 2010 they didn't release the FD dates until May. They should release the FD promo dates in the next few weeks.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
staceycanada
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 118

Free dining is definately woth it. The crowds even with free dining are sooooo low you will not find that a problem. Make sure to use a site like Touring plans to work out which park is better for each day. This helps a lot with crowds.
Make sure to take advantage of the character dinners and fabulour dinners at the resorts. We loved having free dining for our past trips. We would definately plan our vacation around.

Keep in mind the sit down dinners a 18% gratuity is added to the bill with or without free dining. You can ask for this to be removed but I would be embarrassed. Check the menus for the restaurants you plan to eat at and add up (roughly) what your total would be. This will give you an idea of what you need for tips.

Also with free dining (or anytime period) make sure you make your reservations 180 days out.
__________________
staceycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
QueenQueso
Mouseketeer
 
QueenQueso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 141

So when/if they release FD, and I can get it at a value, I can still add it to my reservation if I didn't already have the DP, right?

We were going to pay OOP for our meals, as I'm pretty sure we would save money that way with our menu choices, but I think FD would be more than worth it. I already paid for CRT though. Would I get my money back from that?
__________________
Me SO DS(8) DS(2)
QueenQueso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenQueso
So when/if they release FD, and I can get it at a value, I can still add it to my reservation if I didn't already have the DP, right?

We were going to pay OOP for our meals, as I'm pretty sure we would save money that way with our menu choices, but I think FD would be more than worth it. I already paid for CRT though. Would I get my money back from that?
Yes, you can still add it as long as you booked under a package reservation that includes room and tickets. And, yes, they will refund your money. You will need to call the dining line once you have the DDP added to your reservation, give them your resort reservation number and they will refund you - it can take up to 2 billing cycles to get the refund.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
wdwrich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,660

Quote:
Actually it's kind of my job to predict what Disney will do in regard to promotions and other discounts.
Interesting. How so?
__________________
Rich

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
lnh'smom
DIS Veteran
 
lnh'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
That just isn't going to happen. If they didn't offer free dining at all to the values during that time frame that would leave them with thousands of empty rooms during value season. They aren't going to shoot themselves I'm the foot like that. September is still the height of hurricane season, so I can't see them not offering free dining during this time frame.
That's the offer that has been released to the residents of the UK. This was posted on the 2013 Free Dining Watch and Wait thread. (can't figure out how to post just this particular post - sorry)
No free dining listed for values....

UK residents, get ready for some awesome news!! Book a dream Walt Disney World holiday at selected Disney Hotels on selected dates in 2013 & receive FREE dining for everyone on your booking for your entire stay when you add your Disney Theme Park Tickets.

Valid for Arrivals January 1st-March 19th, 2013 & April 7th-December 8th, 2013

Virgin Holidays has released an exciting offer for United Kingdom residents. This dream holiday in Walt Disney World must be booked prior to 10 July 2012. You’ll get accommodations at select WDW hotels, free dining for your family, fourteen Disney park ticket days, plus Virgin Holidays customers will receive $200 in Disney spending money when staying at select Disney resorts during the dates noted above.

Note, a 5-night stay is required! Guests staying at a Disney moderate resort will enjoy the free Quick Service Dining Plan. Reserving a deluxe hotel or villa will entitle your family to the free standard Disney Dining Plan.
With a Disney Dining Plan (DDP), your family will enjoy the freedom of having pre-paid for your holiday meals as well as tremendous restaurant choices. The DDP uses an easy points system that gives your family the flexibility of dining at over 100 locations in WDW.
__________________
__________________
me dh d13 dd11 ds6 ds2
lnh'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!
 
Skylarr29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceycanada View Post
Free dining is definately woth it. The crowds even with free dining are sooooo low you will not find that a problem. Make sure to use a site like Touring plans to work out which park is better for each day. This helps a lot with crowds.
Make sure to take advantage of the character dinners and fabulour dinners at the resorts. We loved having free dining for our past trips. We would definately plan our vacation around.

Keep in mind the sit down dinners a 18% gratuity is added to the bill with or without free dining. You can ask for this to be removed but I would be embarrassed. Check the menus for the restaurants you plan to eat at and add up (roughly) what your total would be. This will give you an idea of what you need for tips.

Also with free dining (or anytime period) make sure you make your reservations 180 days out.
That is incorrect. It is not added into the bill unless you are a party of 6 or more, or are using a TIW discount card.
__________________
Married at Disney 10/15/08 DVC members since '08 (DS) (DD) (DD) (DD)




Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran
 
Marsheliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,740

Op- The CM told you that free dining would be offered those dates?

That almost makes me want to jump on and book but I want to wait until I hear it from the horse's mouth and know its true...
__________________
Me ( 29) DH (30) DS (5) DS (2)
In Memory of my mama... 10-15-56- 04-10-13
Second Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!


October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnh'smom

That's the offer that has been released to the residents of the UK. This was posted on the 2013 Free Dining Watch and Wait thread. (can't figure out how to post just this particular post - sorry)
No free dining listed for values....

UK residents, get ready for some awesome news!! Book a dream Walt Disney World holiday at selected Disney Hotels on selected dates in 2013 & receive FREE dining for everyone on your booking for your entire stay when you add your Disney Theme Park Tickets.

Valid for Arrivals January 1st-March 19th, 2013 & April 7th-December 8th, 2013

Virgin Holidays has released an exciting offer for United Kingdom residents. This dream holiday in Walt Disney World must be booked prior to 10 July 2012. You’ll get accommodations at select WDW hotels, free dining for your family, fourteen Disney park ticket days, plus Virgin Holidays customers will receive $200 in Disney spending money when staying at select Disney resorts during the dates noted above.

Note, a 5-night stay is required! Guests staying at a Disney moderate resort will enjoy the free Quick Service Dining Plan. Reserving a deluxe hotel or villa will entitle your family to the free standard Disney Dining Plan.
With a Disney Dining Plan (DDP), your family will enjoy the freedom of having pre-paid for your holiday meals as well as tremendous restaurant choices. The DDP uses an easy points system that gives your family the flexibility of dining at over 100 locations in WDW.
__________________
UK discounts don't have any baring on US discounts, offers and promos.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich

Interesting. How so?
I write a weekly blog for a large travel site. My blog focuses on deep travel and air discounts for families. Free dining is one of the most popular blogs I write about during the year. I write a lot about Disney and other family friendly vacations and how to save the most at those destinations. But I also follow a lot of cruise and air fare trends. The hot topic on our blog this week is NCL's Kid's Sale Free on select fall cruises. FYI, this is a huge money saver! They usually only run this special once per year and announce the eligible fall cruise dates between March and May.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
khaoskat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 239

Ok, this will kind of probably be a dumb question...

But if they offer FD, might consider doing 2 connecting value rooms, but on that note, if it is the case, I wouldn't mind staying at a couple of different value resorts, to just experience the different ones. Is it possible to do something like that....
Say for instance -- stay 3 nights at Pop and Stay 3 nights at the Movies one (not AOA) and still get free dining?

(Reason we would need 2 connecting is we are a family of 6....and would really just like the beds vs a bed and a couch/chair for the kids.)
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
wdwrich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,660

Quote:
Say for instance -- stay 3 nights at Pop and Stay 3 nights at the Movies one (not AOA) and still get free dining?
Yes, but each would be a separate reservation and all the rules/requirements (minimum days, tickets, etc.) would apply to each reservation. Since you may well need to buy tickets with each reservation, the savings from free dining may dwindle.

Have you considered the family suites at ASM instead of 2 standard value rooms?
__________________
Rich

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat
Ok, this will kind of probably be a dumb question...

But if they offer FD, might consider doing 2 connecting value rooms, but on that note, if it is the case, I wouldn't mind staying at a couple of different value resorts, to just experience the different ones. Is it possible to do something like that....
Say for instance -- stay 3 nights at Pop and Stay 3 nights at the Movies one (not AOA) and still get free dining?

(Reason we would need 2 connecting is we are a family of 6....and would really just like the beds vs a bed and a couch/chair for the kids.)
No you can not do that and still take advantage of the free dining savings. You have to be booked under a Magic Your Way package, which includes room, tickets and dining, to apply a free dining discount to your reservation. If you book a a second resort package and purchase the 2 day base ticket requirement for everyone in your party, that will negate the free dining savings.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
wdwrich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,660

Quote:
I write a weekly blog for a large travel site. My blog focuses on deep travel and air discounts for families. Free dining is one of the most popular blogs I write about during the year. I write a lot about Disney and other family friendly vacations and how to save the most at those destinations.
That's cool, but you are writing from an outside observer's perspective, and wouldn't have any insider (Disney) information that the rest of us could not possibly have also, correct?
__________________
Rich

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.