Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #91
disneydreamerbelle
We love Buzz LaLa

We travel from SLC too! We like to play the alphabet game and have to be to W by the time we get to the Xxyzz exit - which I think is the desert somewhere between Vegas and Bakersfield? We always stay off the strip in Vegas and hit a breakfast buffet. I try to listen to Disney music, but since I drive to keep my nerves in check DH usually hijacks the radio to rate his music on the ipod I guess he deserves it though because he is the one who has to keep the little ones occupied, once I start driving I check out of mom mode and he gets a taste of it My kids love to check the GPS and see how accurate the ETA is from when we head out to when we arrive to see if we came in ahead or behind schedule. We always bring Disney movies, but the kids never seem to want to watch them though

And, I too will never look at the Fillmore / Beaver sign the same again
disneydreamerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #92
disneydreamerbelle
We love Buzz LaLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama View Post
Like another poster, we, too, live in Tucson and will be doing the drive along I-8 between Arizona and San Diego on our way out to Disneyland. This is our 1st Disneyland trip, but we’ve done the I-8-to-San Diego trek many times because we have close relatives who live in the San Diego area. Usually our traditions include:

Just after we’ve left Gila Bend (shortly after you see a road sign that says “No services for 60 miles”), either ODD or YDD announces that she has to go to the bathroom. I mean, seriously, you can set your watch by it. This leads me to another tradition…

….Mommy packing the kiddie port-a-potty in the trunk of the car! When we went a year ago, first it was YDD who had to go. Then while watching YDD do her thing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, ODD announced that she had to go, too. Good thing Mommy also packs flushable wipes & ziplock bags to store it all in (don’t want to litter in the desert, ya know).

Then 30 min after that, another tradition is that DH has to use the facilities (whatever creosote bush or Palo Verde tree happens to be nearby off the shoulder of the road). At this point, we have yet another tradition…

…Mommy announcing, “Holy cow, can we please just get there already? Does ANYONE ELSE have to pee?” ROFL!

We usually hit up Dateland for another potty stop (you can get date shakes there; it's a small restaurant/gas station literally in the middle of nowhere).

Then we stop on the AZ-side of Yuma to fill up the gas tank (since gas is usually about $0.75/gallon cheaper).

Then we stop on CA-side of Yuma to fill up our bellies at Dave’s BBQ. DH likes to time our departure to get to Yuma around 11am and it’s usually 3 hr from our house in Marana to Yuma.

Then drive drive drive to La Mesa (BIL/SIL’s house). Although we never quite make it without another pit stop. TWO TIMES now we have had to stop at the ONE exit in California that has no services because ODD or YDD has to pee like a racehorse. The port-a-potty really gets a workout, doesn’t it?

Oh yeah, and we pass time with lots of Disney movies in the backseat.
Sad to admit, but our training toilet also gets a regular work out on our trips. I don't understand why they only need them when there are no services around I have all boys though so maybe when they older we can teach them the bottle trick
disneydreamerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #93
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwhoney View Post
Ok, I have traveled to southern Utah all my life and it has never registered about the Fillmore Beaver thing. Never look at those towns the same again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamerbelle View Post
And, I too will never look at the Fillmore / Beaver sign the same again

Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #94
lucky1
Face Character

From Tucson as well and until recently we have always taken the I-10 route. Disney movies playing on the IPad. Stopping in Quartzsite for gas and bathroom break at Cheveron. Then stopping at In-N-Out burger in Indio, CA. By the time we get to DLR, the movies are off and we are playing Disney music and complaining about our full bellies and burping onions.

Now that In-N-Out have come to Arizona and we have stopped eating like that.. we don't do that any more.

Recently we have started taking i-8. Stopping in Dateland for a date shake and a bathroom break. DH will get a supply of dates for the trip. Maybe Stopping for Gas in Yuma, AZ and then no more stopping until we get to DLR.

On our way home we always have have to stop at the Gas Station/Starbucks at Ball and Harbor. Refueling and getting caffeine for the trip home.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #95
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer

We only have a 1 hr. 30 min. drive, but our favorite traditions are listening to Disney music and singing along the whole way and eating bagels and marinated steak for breakfast in the car. It's the little things that make the trip fun, especially when most of the trip is through morning rush hour traffic.

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year

Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #96
torene03
Earning My Ears

When we did family trips as a kid, we followed the same pattern. Leave San Jose at 5 or 6 AM, stop in King City for McDonalds for breakfast (egg mcmuffin meal), then lunch at Pea Soup Andersen's. And at least once I needed to get the Mango Madness Snapple at one of our pit stops. We'd usually get there early evening and I always remember looking for the Matterhorn.

Now it's just my sister and I who go, and we fly now (no time to spare driving 7 hours). But we're still creatures of habit so its Jamba Juice at the airport if we fly at night or Starbucks in the morning. And now we see the Tower of Terror first instead of the Matterhorn since we fly into SNA.

But still every time I drink a mango madness snapple I still think of those long hours in the hot car on the way to Disneyland!!
torene03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #97
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSunshine View Post
...But we'll probably make a new tradition of stopping at Bravo Farms in Traver, CA for lunch. It was one of our stops last year and we both really enjoyed it...especially the treehouse!
Thanks for that. I just looked it up. So cool! We usually go I-5, but we may have to try this!

This is a great thread. For us, when being in the car starts to get really old, we pop in the Disneyland soundtrack. It has songs and sounds from the rides and stuff. It definitely puts us in the Disneyland mood immediately!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #98
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsBleep View Post
-We play "Would You Rather" Disneyland-style.
-We do mad-libs, but can only put Disney answers in..or sometimes really gross answers, because we are obviously children. haha.

Love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidHair View Post
Forced march going home!
TOTALLY!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #99
coaches24
DIS Veteran

we usually leave around 2 or 3 in the morning from Sacramento (DW hates it) so DD will sleep most of the way and limit our stops. McDs usually for breakfast about half way there. And we always have movies for DD and DW to watch since I'm usually driving.

We don't have any must stops we just stop when we need to for food or bathroom. I also am a drive through till we get there but I temper my expectations knowing that wont happen with a 4 yo girl and a wife who pees every hour when in the car regardless of what fluids she does or doesn't drink. So is life.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #100
Andromeda9mm
Mouseketeer

Another family from Utah.

DH says we like to look for the 'landmark' Zzyxx Road... of I15. We know we're getting close.

Mer
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #101
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

This is a fun thread. I just finished making various hotel reservations for a 16 day road trip from St. Louis, MO. Driving 3 full days to San Francisco via I-80. Spending 3 full days in Bay Area. Then driving to Yosemite for 2 nights. Then down to Anaheim for 5 nights (3 days Disney and 1 day at the beach). Then driving one day for a 1 night pit stop at the Grand Canyon south rim. (Basically get there in time for a sunset and sunrise before getting back on the road.) Then 2 more days through Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and back into Missouri.

With so many days on the road, we are going to need all the ideas we can get!!
MarbleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #102
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess

I'm so excited!! We just bought our first new car!! And it's a Hybrid. We live in Tracy. The car will tell you how many miles you can go before you need gas. A full tank is 630 miles!!! The first thing I said when I saw that was that's almost round trip to DL!!

Our traditions have some factors. I usually drive, DH likes to relax and complain that I'm driving to fast (cruz is usually set at 75). DH, however is a changing factor, sometimes he doesn't come with us. If DH is with us, we leave the day before sometime between noon and four, usually get Taco Bell for DD at Santa Nella, stopping for snack re-fills at gas/potty stops. I've always wanted to do a coastal drive down, but I can't stomache the thought of a 9 hour car trip. If it's just me and the kids, in the past we've left at 7am. The car is packed with snacks like z-bars, rice cripsy treats, red vines, juice boxes, sliced apples w/peanut butter, and cheeze-its. A 7am start usually ment a stop off for doughnuts before we make it to the highway.

In the past, we've brought the lap top for movies and the kids have their gaming devices. The DL park music cd gets a major workout. Now that we have satilliet radio and my car will stream my droid playlists, I don't know what will happen. Driver usually get music control, but with it being a new car with lots of gadgets (nav, weather, pandor, table. . .) I don't know what'll happen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: