Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #31
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
pft.

we start out about 4pm and drive through the night to get into Barstow by 8 or 9 the next morning.

LoL, I guess 4 AM is early for us because we're college kids who sleep in. I wish I had your stamina!!
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
spellhex
Mouseketeer

When it's just my family, we leave around 6am from San Jose. For a period of five years or so, we had a small TV and the Dreamcast set up so my little brothers didn't fight/annoy my parents with the incessant question of "Are we there yet?" We always stop three times on the 365 mile journey: first at a McDonald's to get breakfast for my dad the driver and so my mom can go to the bathroom, second at Harris Ranch to fill up the minivan and so my mom can go to the bathroom, third at Valencia for lunch and so my mom can go to the bathroom. As we enter Orange County us three kids try to see who can see the Matterhorn first/spot the Harbor Blvd/Disneyland Drive exit signs first.

When it's me and some friends, I'm usually leaving from Downtown Los Angeles, so it's a bit different. We leave around 8am (as it's a day trip on the weekend) and whoever has shotgun controls the music. We play two games: who can see the Matterhorn first, and when are we in Orange County (it becomes super easy to tell once you've driven in LA County a lot). As we take the exit for Disneyland Drive, I switch my ipod to my playlist of Disneyland ride songs. I always play Splash Mountain as I get to the booth for the Mickey and Friends lot.
If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight.
Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!
Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
Thundergod
Mouseketeer

UM, I don't care who's riding shotgun and who's driving.. If I am awake I control the radio. lol

I bet I'm a real jerk to ride with
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #34
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

I love finding a corny touristy pitstop.

When we drove down to DL last year, it was The Olive Pit in Corning, CA. My DS loves olives, so it fit. Did some olive and olive oil tastings, it was a nice break to stretch legs and do something fun.

When we went on a road trip to the Redwoods 2 years ago, it was a picture of DS by "Captain Jack" wood carving (yes it was outside of a liquor barn, don't tell LOL)

Just corny, break up the monotony of driving stuff ;-)

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
LisaSunshine
Earning My Ears

My DH and I drive down from Sacramento. Our tradition used to be a stop at Harris Ranch on the way back home, but now we've found we prefer 99 just because there's more to do along the way. Last year, we left a day early, made a few stops to see things along the way, and stopped at a hotel in Tulare. It was great to break up the driving and made it seem much more bearable.

This year, our budget is a bit tighter, so we're going straight through. But we'll probably make a new tradition of stopping at Bravo Farms in Traver, CA for lunch. It was one of our stops last year and we both really enjoyed it...especially the treehouse!
LisaSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #36
MermaidHair
Mouseketeer

I cant believe this thread is on page 3 and no one has mentioned the license plate game! We HAVE to do this - I print out the states and we cross them off as we go. Next time I am going to add Mexican states and Canadian provinces because we always see some of those as well. We keep the list after we get home and see how long it takes to complete the whole thing.

I actually like the drive from the Bay Area to Anaheim but this time we got a good deal from Jet Blue so we will fly. I am a little bummed about missing the drive but not that much because it means more time in the parks!
MermaidHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
zoeandjacks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellhex View Post
When it's just my family, we leave around 6am from San Jose. For a period of five years or so, we had a small TV and the Dreamcast set up so my little brothers didn't fight/annoy my parents with the incessant question of "Are we there yet?" We always stop three times on the 365 mile journey: first at a McDonald's to get breakfast for my dad the driver and so my mom can go to the bathroom, second at Harris Ranch to fill up the minivan and so my mom can go to the bathroom, third at Valencia for lunch and so my mom can go to the bathroom. As we enter Orange County us three kids try to see who can see the Matterhorn first/spot the Harbor Blvd/Disneyland Drive exit signs first.

When it's me and some friends, I'm usually leaving from Downtown Los Angeles, so it's a bit different. We leave around 8am (as it's a day trip on the weekend) and whoever has shotgun controls the music. We play two games: who can see the Matterhorn first, and when are we in Orange County (it becomes super easy to tell once you've driven in LA County a lot). As we take the exit for Disneyland Drive, I switch my ipod to my playlist of Disneyland ride songs. I always play Splash Mountain as I get to the booth for the Mickey and Friends lot.
Disneyland ride songs? I had no idea you could get these!!!

We drive from Las Vegas, but we don't really have any traditions, unless you include the tradition of me thinking "No, we won't have to stop in Baker for me to go to the bathroom, I can make it all the way to Barstow..." and then 30 minutes outside of Baker I'm ready to pee into my McDonald's cup. So yeah...starting with the next trip, I'm making a new tradition, that says ALWAYS stop in Baker and go pee. And Barstow. and then I'm good until Anaheim. We never try to leave early in the morning and do Disney that day, even before we had kids, my DH is too much of a grump and complains about the drive. We like to leave in the afternoon from Vegas, get to Anaheim and check in, then have dinner at GCH and walk around Downtown Disney and be fresh and ready when the parks open the next day. The only time we ever did day trips was when we were still living in the LA area.

WDW Christmas Vacation 1992
DL 1998,1999, 2002, DCA Christmas 2002, DL/DCA Christmas 2004, DL/DCA March 2013.

Next trip: DL/DCA 11/29-12/4/2013 for DS's 7th birthday!!!
zoeandjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
Jenn1116
My goal in life is to visit DLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
I bet I'm a real jerk to ride with

I don't care who's navigator/radio control. As long as no one interrupts the connection between the gas pedal and the floor board. Though I have to say, if I get a chance at input I do have a 5-disc box set of Disney CDs. Aaaand not to mention my driving method is offset by the time spent graciously accepting my speeding ticket somewhere between Fresno and Bakersfield.

MY way means being out the door by 4:30am and we're coming from the Bay Area which means I give us plenty of time for nice long afternoon in the park that first day. Plus everyone's too sleepy to beg for stops and I can get us to Bakersfield at least before the complaints...er I mean breaks begin.

Everyone else wants a ridiculously late start, or what they call "more reasonable," like 6:30 am. This turns me into Grumpy cause I've already been up waiting to leave for HOURS. For some reason a later start also seems to coinside with more frequent and lengthier stops.
1992 So Cal Family Trip
2006 50th Anniversary - DD's First Trip
2008 President's Day Weekend Getaway
2008 Friends and Family October Trip
2009 December in Disneyland
2013 Return of the Ostrowskis

Me DD 9 Grandma Grandpa

Jenn1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #39
spellhex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeandjacks View Post
Disneyland ride songs? I had no idea you could get these!!!
I think most, if not all of them are on youtube. There are also videos that have the different lands' music (i.e. Main Street, Tomorrowland, Critter Country, etc.) I often listen to these during work.

This video is what I listen to for Splash Mountain, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY0MdLzmwjk
And here is Main Street's music loop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bttykRzIHl4

I believe there are CDs you can get that has all the music, but I usually just pull things up on youtube.
If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight.
Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!
Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #40
Autty40
Earning My Ears

We drive from the Modesto area. I drive to Bakersfield and my DH drives the rest of the way. We always stop at Bravo farms to eat and hang out for a bit. We also play the ABC game. I would love to listen to disney music the whole time but I think my DH would throw himself from the car if I did that. We also always stop at the In n Out at the grapevine.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #41
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Maybe we need to have a DIS meet at the Santa Clarita/Newhall In 'n Out Burger.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

I think our only driving tradition is to try to get there alive and still talking to each other. :D

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
ddwlms
Mouseketeer

Red Vines are a must on road trips. -I don't think I buy them any other time. And running in random circles at rest areas. One of these days, we're going to run into someone we know, and we just might be embarrassed, but until then, we'll continue to act like lunes. (not me, actually, just the kids on the embarrassed part.)

I'm going to start with the individual bagees for jerky as well. You're right, it is a hot commodity.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #44
darph nader
Went APE-CRAZY with suvies
My family is a bunch of characters
Had a weird pattern on his feet

After a 7-8 hour drive,,,I let the wifey check in and tell the kids to hand me a cold one while they unload the 'burb'.
On the way home,we stop at the Pizza Hut in Toltec so we don't have to cook dinner that night.
darph nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #45
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Loving this! My mom, sister, best friend and I are leaving Saturday morning for our spring break trip. We are driving from mid-Willamette Valley (in between Salem and Eugene, for any other Oregonians) to San Francisco and Santa Clara, and then making our way down to LA, Anaheim, and San Diego. I am beyond excited

One tradition that we follow without fail is a stop at the the Olive Pit in Corning. They have amazing olives there! They also have different kinds of olive oil and vinegar, with bread to sample. We can spend a good 45 minutes there trying all the different variations!

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: