Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
maddysmom
Earning My Ears

First Time Cruiser Question - Water

Going on our first cruise in April. I am a huge water drinker and don't drink soda. Is the water in the soda machines decent? I assume bottled water is extra - any cost savings ideas for bottled water? Thanks!
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
luv2cruisedisney
Mouseketeer

I have never had water from the soda machine but I know the water in the MDR's is good.

Your best option would probably be to bring water onboard with you.
DCL has no restrictions on what you can bring on as far as water except that it must be able to go through the scanner at security and you cannot pack it in your luggage - you must carry it on
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Going on our first cruise in April. I am a huge water drinker and don't drink soda. Is the water in the soda machines decent? I assume bottled water is extra - any cost savings ideas for bottled water? Thanks!
I drink the water from the beverage station all of the time. The drinking water on the ship is fine, and I am a bit picky about it. I will even fill empty water bottles from their (using a clean disposable cup) and keep them in fridg (cooling box) in the cabin.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

the drinking water on the ship is filtered in the same way as bottled water, unless there is some residual squeamishness regarding drinking from a tap or you just want the bottles around, there should be no need to purchase bottled water.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All the water onboard (from drinking station, in MDRs, to make ice, prepare foods, or in the shower) comes from the same souce onboard. It's processed like bottled water is (reverse osmosis and filtered) and tastes good.

Yes, bottled water costs extra, a lot extra. We always bring our own refillable waterbottles onboard and fill up in our room.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
maddysmom
Earning My Ears

Great - thanks everyone. Not squeamish about drinking it from the soda dispenser - just can have issues with unfiltered water. I can't drink the water at WDW as it makes me physically ill - took a few trips to figure that one out! Thanks again!
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

The water tastes excellent on the ship! I was surprised how good it tasted. We usually just used the ice in our stateroom & water out of our sink in bathroom. It tasted just as good as when we had it out of the soda machine or at dinner.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great - thanks everyone. Not squeamish about drinking it from the soda dispenser - just can have issues with unfiltered water. I can't drink the water at WDW as it makes me physically ill - took a few trips to figure that one out! Thanks again!
WDW water is public works like water... DCL AFAIK is sea water filtered via reverse osmosis. I'd say even better than some bottled water...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve

WDW water is public works like water... DCL AFAIK is sea water filtered via reverse osmosis. I'd say even better than some bottled water...
This is good to know. I also drink a ton of water.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
amsimpson71
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the water info

Thanks for all the info on the water onboard the ship. I also drink alot of water along with those in my group that are traveling. We were worried about having bottled water onboard and how expensive it was. We had planned to stop the morning of the cruise at a store and pick up a couple of cases to carry on. Now I think that we can forego that plan and drink water on the ship.
This will be our first trip so trying to find all of the helpful information that we can before hand and not be so stressed over the little things.
amsimpson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

I have always brought a case of water on with me, but I can't go anywhere without having a water bottle in my hand. Since I'll be going for 7 nights this year, I will try refilling my bottles from the drink station so I don't have to bring 2 or 3 cases. You might want a few bottles that you can fill, just so you can take them with you to the beach on CC. We bought a small cooler filled with bottled water at CC, but it was pretty pricey, just for water and a soft side cooler that leaks! LOL!

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - May 2014
Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011 View Post
The water tastes excellent on the ship! .
Does it taste like Zephyrhills? (worst water ever. No offense to Floridians).
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

This question gets asked so often it amazes me.

It tastes WAY better than the Dasani everyone pays to drink at WDW. Yuck.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

114 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsimpson71 View Post
Thanks for all the info on the water onboard the ship. I also drink alot of water along with those in my group that are traveling. We were worried about having bottled water onboard and how expensive it was. We had planned to stop the morning of the cruise at a store and pick up a couple of cases to carry on. Now I think that we can forego that plan and drink water on the ship.
This will be our first trip so trying to find all of the helpful information that we can before hand and not be so stressed over the little things.
I would bring a case. You might want bottled water on excursions. Unless you plan to bring bottles of your own to fill. I bring water on every cruise we have been on. And, also drink from the MDR and soda fountains.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
MissMaleficent
Earning My Ears

I don't drink soda either so I was worried about the water onboard. My DBF brought a case of water for us but we won't be doing that for our August cruise. The water was perfectly fine
01/24/14 Counting Down to Christmas Day so I can surprise my mom!
MissMaleficent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: