Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom-lesiure style

So once you start a game of Sorcerers of the MK do you have to play it out right then? Or could you just play it throughout the day as you happened to pass by the portals in the course of your day in the park? I like the idea of the game, I don't like the idea of giving up a chunk of park time to devote just to playing it.
RogueLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

You will be playing the game in an assigned land like Main Street, Fantasyland. I think that when you sign up, you can pick the land that you start in. And yes, it does take a good bit of time to complete especially if there's a line of people at each portal. Even if you don't play the game each time that you go to MK, get your 5 cards for each person in your group (even if they're not all playing.)
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineB View Post
You will be playing the game in an assigned land like Main Street, Fantasyland. I think that when you sign up, you can pick the land that you start in. And yes, it does take a good bit of time to complete especially if there's a line of people at each portal. Even if you don't play the game each time that you go to MK, get your 5 cards for each person in your group (even if they're not all playing.)
Yes, but when it says "go to the next portal". Do you have to go right then or can you go like two hours later?
RogueLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

I don't believe that there is a time limit during the normal person's vacation -- my son didn't play the game for many months and his account was deleted and he had to start again (we're season passholders and he finished the game once and was playing a second time.) You don't even need to beat a particular villain in one day -- you just pick up where you left off from the last time that you played.

If you go to the wrong portal, it will show what the right portal is.

The game that has the time limit is the Agent P game in EPCOT.

I think each time that you sign in to get your 5 cards, you can let the CM know which land you want to play in too and they'll assign your key card as long as you haven't defeated the villain for that land the required number of times -- I was only an observer to the game when my DS9 played. I'm sure actual players will give you more information if I'm wrong.

here's a thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2881671
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post

Yes, but when it says "go to the next portal". Do you have to go right then or can you go like two hours later?
You go when you want, or you don't go at all. This is done completely at your own pace.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
bbangel
My friends call me the font of useless knowledge

We were told that your key card will reset in about a month if it isn't used, but that you can record the villains you have defeated and they can start you off on your next visit where you left off.
bbangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

DD started a game in June 2012 but didn’t complete the first level. We had just played here and there through out the week because the game knows were you left off each day.

In January 2013, we returned and the game knew right where we left off, however, we had them reset her game back to the beginning.

It took many hours to complete the first level. We start out the beginning of the week doing just an hour or two but then mid-week, we spent almost the entire day playing (we did stop for a few attractions and for lunch) but completed the first level by late afternoon. The remainder of the week, we did an hour or two here and there on the second level which is much harder so it will take longer to complete….you can’t defeat the villain in the first try…it was taking her two or three tries to defeat the villain and you had to move to different portals each time.

If you forget where you left off, no problem, just go to any portal and it will tell you where you need to go.

We enjoyed the game but it does take time away from the park. Since we have been many times, we don't mind and sometimes we took turns playing the game with DD while the other went off for a snack or a ride.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Moonwolf
Mouseketeer

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I've been reading about this game and it seems like something fun to do but I can't seem to find if it's free for park guests or if the packs need to be purchased?
Planning trip #4 to WDW for 2015
Moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwolf View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I've been reading about this game and it seems like something fun to do but I can't seem to find if it's free for park guests or if the packs need to be purchased?
It is free. There are special rare cards that require a purchase, but these are few and unneeded to play the game. You will be given cards when you sign up.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2

It is free. There are special rare cards that require a purchase, but these are few and unneeded to play the game. You will be given cards when you sign up.
Yes, free unless you want to buy the booster pack which has one guaranteed special card not available in the free packs. Also, during special events they give you rare cards....the Halloween or Christmas party...
AND...if you have a lot of doubles, stop over at Tortugas across from PoTC. That's a hang out for game fans. You may find some nice locals who will trade you for your doubles...

Anniversary May 2013 at the Swan
: Mommy & Me July 2013 offsite
The Whole Gang August 2013 AKL
1st Family trip to UO August 2013 RPH
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Moonwolf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Yay thanks.
Planning trip #4 to WDW for 2015
Moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
So once you start a game of Sorcerers of the MK do you have to play it out right then? Or could you just play it throughout the day as you happened to pass by the portals in the course of your day in the park? I like the idea of the game, I don't like the idea of giving up a chunk of park time to devote just to playing it.
As the PPs have said, you don't have to continuously play, but just note that once you start a mission, all portals will be in that land. For example, if you start in Fantasyland, then all of the portals for that mission will be in Fantasyland. So, if you crisscross the park a lot, then you'll probably cross your portal(s), but if you like to take the park one land at a time, you're unlikely to cross your next portal.

I would either play early in the day or late in the evening when it's less crowded. It's pretty boring waiting to play your portal. We sat by one in Adventureland in the mid-afternoon and the line was probably five players long, so by the time a person played, they'd probably already seen the cut scenes for their mission. It was kind of funny to us (hearing the same lines over and over), but if you like surprise, then you won't be if there are people ahead of you in line.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: