DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I was about to bet a La Cava margarita that you are wrong about this, Gregg. Then it occurred to me that DVD could also artificially lower the cost per point by over-pointing the villas.

So, here's my bet: The base cost to buy enough GFV points for a week in a 2BR Magic Season will be equal to or higher than the base cost to buy enough BLT points for a week in a Lake View 2BR Magic Season. If GFV has multiple views, I am assuming the "middle" view, rounding down if an even number of view categories.

I will wager a La Cava Margarita, plus an order of chips and guacamole.
DVD has a long hx of opening resorts at the same price (before incentives) as the current new selling resort and of keeping the points roughly the same for comparable resorts, sometimes when they likely shouldn't. BCV & VWL are examples where they likely should have made changed and didn't. I think it's a safe bet that the points will cost the same ($165 or ? $170 if there's an interim increase) and the points will be the same for comparable views related to BLT. That's not to say there won't be minor differences as the reallocations showed us sometimes happens for other reasons. So I think you're very safe in your position.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #62
texhanddoc
Let me tell you about how much I procrastinate... tomorrow.

Well. I'm not sure I can argue the "price to stay" argument Brian. I am not sure I disagree with you either.

As an aside, the "middle" view at GFV will be better than lake view at BLT. Lake view at BLT is primarily "view of the other side of the hotel".

The only point if my first post in this thread was to pass on the information that GFV will 1. Start selling in late May or June and 2. Will be priced slightly less than BLT.

I am willing to sip on a margarita with you anytime and heck I'll pay. But I can't bet you about the point price of a week 2BR resort because your point is reasonable and I tend to believe what you say too.

If you want to bet a La Cava marg on base price, ill do it

Me (42), Wifey (42), DD (11), DS (9), DD (5)

NEXT TRIP: June 2014
texhanddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #63
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texhanddoc View Post
As an aside, the "middle" view at GFV will be better than lake view at BLT. Lake view at BLT is primarily "view of the other side of the hotel".
The existing Big Pine Key building at the Grand Floridian will almost entirely block the Magic Kingdom so the views will not be anything to write home about. Might see some hint of Space Mountain way off the the distance from a very small number of rooms, and fireworks beyond rooftops. The train station, Cinderella Castle and the western side of the park will be completely blocked.

Approx 50% of the resort will just be looking toward the existing Grand Floridian buildings. About 15-20% will look back toward the monorail beam and the other 30-35% will face toward the Wedding Pavilion and Poly beach.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #64
texhanddoc

Yep. All things considered, I would still rather have a lake view with the Contemporary or Polynesian than 50% lake and 50% or more the other side of BLT.

At BLT lake view, be sure to draw your blinds before running around your 2BR in your birthday suit or you will get lots of smiles in the elevator.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #65
HDLady
Live 20 miles from WDW!

I'm guessing as soon as the VGF point go on sale, there will be a flurry of buyers because so many people love the ambiance of the GF. While my home resort is OKW (only one available in 1994 when I bought) I've stayed in a number of the DVC resorts. So far, OKW wins for spacious rooms and tropical ambiance but BLT wins for monorail access and views. I have a gut feel that, once I stay in VGF, it will win hands down in all areas! I can't wait!!!!

First visit was 1984 and instantly hooked! Before moving to Central FL in 2003, visited WDW at least 1 or 2 times a year.
Have stayed at Caribbean Beach (4X), Grand Floridian (3X), DVC Old Key West (numerous times - home resort), DVC Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, DVC Boardwalk Villas, DVC Bay Lake Towers, DVC Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
Annual Passholder since 1990, DVC owner since April 1994
HDLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #66
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLady View Post
I'm guessing as soon as the VGF point go on sale, there will be a flurry of buyers because so many people love the ambiance of the GF. While my home resort is OKW (only one available in 1994 when I bought) I've stayed in a number of the DVC resorts. So far, OKW wins for spacious rooms and tropical ambiance but BLT wins for monorail access and views. I have a gut feel that, once I stay in VGF, it will win hands down in all areas! I can't wait!!!!
Have you ever stayed in the hotel?

I did. I won't be back. "ambiance" is "We allow riff raff like Disney guests to stay in our hotel"

Valet parking was HORRID (granted this was before Disney outsourced, hopefully it's better)

I wrote "dust me" on the dresser. Two days later it was still there!

Front desk charged me twice. When I called they announced "we would never make that error" and basically hung up (Luckily Amex thought "they made that error" and gave me my money back)

If "ambiance" is "snooty" then this place is great otherwise.

(That said I did LOVE Victoria & Alberts. Only reason I would go back )
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #67
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
ill take you up to the ToTWL.
George I. already did...

Quote:
Deal!
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #68
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll take that offer as well if it stands. That the base price (starting price before any incentives) is at least $165 a point.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #69
texhanddoc

I have the opportunity here for a LOT of margaritas. Be careful, I'm a lightweight

Of course, if I lose, I'm still getting one (just not as cheaply)

Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #70
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well. I'm not sure I can argue the "price to stay" argument Brian. I am not sure I disagree with you either.

The only point if my first post in this thread was to pass on the information that GFV will 1. Start selling in late May or June and 2. Will be priced slightly less than BLT.

I am willing to sip on a margarita with you anytime and heck I'll pay. But I can't bet you about the point price of a week 2BR resort because your point is reasonable and I tend to believe what you say too.

Wow, less than BLT. Looking forward to what happens. If it is less than BLT, I wonder if the point requirement per night will be much more than BLT to make up the lost per point sales dollars.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #71
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
Wow, less than BLT. Looking forward to what happens. If it is less than BLT, I wonder if the point requirement per night will be much more than BLT to make up the lost per point sales dollars.
Less than BLT would be typical Disney marketing. Raise the price of BLT so you can tell buyers that VGF costs less than BLT to spur sales.

Set and keep BLT dues low so you can tell buyers that BLT has the less expensive dues, then raise them when sales close out.

Set THV point requirements low so you can tell buyers that they can get a 3 bedroom for the point price of a 2 bedroom, the raise the required points when sales close out.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
The same base but less net would be consistent with their historical approach. Maybe someone else has different info but I can't think of a resort where the price of the new resort was less than the then current resort being sold gross, net yes.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #73
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The same base but less net would be consistent with their historical approach. Maybe someone else has different info but I can't think of a resort where the price of the new resort was less than the then current resort being sold gross, net yes.
What was BLT selling at when Aulani debuted at $114? I honestly can't remember.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #74
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
What was BLT selling at when Aulani debuted at $114? I honestly can't remember.
I'm not sure but given the completely different nature, I'm not sure it is especially applicable, same for HI.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #75
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep. All things considered, I would still rather have a lake view with the Contemporary or Polynesian than 50% lake and 50% or more the other side of BLT.

At BLT lake view, be sure to draw your blinds before running around your 2BR in your birthday suit or you will get lots of smiles in the elevator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Have you ever stayed in the hotel?

I did. I won't be back. "ambiance" is "We allow riff raff like Disney guests to stay in our hotel"

Valet parking was HORRID (granted this was before Disney outsourced, hopefully it's better)

I wrote "dust me" on the dresser. Two days later it was still there!

Front desk charged me twice. When I called they announced "we would never make that error" and basically hung up (Luckily Amex thought "they made that error" and gave me my money back)

If "ambiance" is "snooty" then this place is great otherwise.

(That said I did LOVE Victoria & Alberts. Only reason I would go back )
Hubby and I had planned to buy points at BLT but a few things kept us from doing it.
  1. The point price increased before we had the opportunity.
  2. The decor left a lot to be desired.
  3. Our financial position changed.

I totally agree with the riff raff comment about Grand Floridian. While staying at WL years ago, we shared a bus with the Grand Floridian. We were then berated by snotty drunken teenagers who publicly told everybody on the bus that anyone not staying at the Grand Floridian were trash and not beautiful people like themselves. If I could have gotten back to WL with relative ease, I would have stayed on the bus and got off with the drunken teens!

My hopes are that the decor is more to my liking than that at the Contemporary, and that maybe just maybe the DVC component will be different enough to take some of the gilded edges off to make it a bit more palatable to we little people.

If that happens, and we really like the GFV, then we will likely buy more Boardwalk points and take our chances at getting GFV.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: