Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
squeaky_penguin
Mouseketeer

Disney gift cards at Target

I read that the Disney gift cards were on sale at Target over the holidays. How often do they go on sale? I have the Target Red card and would like to stock up on some gift cards for our upcoming trip.

Thanks!
squeaky_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I believe what you are thinking of is a coupon that came out for $10 off a $50 purchase, which people were using on the entertainment cards. (Disney cards)

They did it a couple weeks in a row in December and i believe they also did it the previous December but not the rest of the year. A word of warning though, there is a printing limit on them so technically you aren't supposed to be able to get more than 2 and they are supposed to be 1 per transaction, so 2 transactions total. Somebody made a pdf of the coupon and posted it online so people were printing them freely last year. Some cashiers don't care, but if you walk in with a stack of them you can be turned away and they are in the right turning you away. (technically it is coupon fraud and is illegal) Many people seemed to get away with using a ton of them though.

I like vacations.
mistysue is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
lizzygreen
Mouseketeer

If you use your Target card, you get 5% off Disney gift cards at Target.
lizzygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
shopn24seven
DIS Veteran

I just got hired at Target. they told me that I get 10% off and I can use my red card with that discount, for a total of 15%. SWEET

2014 OKW
2014 AoA
2013 BC
2012 POR
2011 CR
2010 AKL
2009 POP
2004 ASMo
1984 Off Site FIRST VISIT
shopn24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopn24seven View Post
I just got hired at Target. they told me that I get 10% off and I can use my red card with that discount, for a total of 15%. SWEET
Find out if prescription rewards stack! Maybe you can get 20% off, I'm excited for you!

I like vacations.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
bpesch
DIS Veteran

There was an ad out during the holidays that had certain gift cards on sale. Disney was one of them. The problem was that it was in limited areas. They didn't do it at all around my area and I was never able to get anyone to figure out why. It was very frustrating!
bpesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
Find out if prescription rewards stack! Maybe you can get 20% off, I'm excited for you!
My husband works for Target and the prescription rewards do stack. I don't know if it matters to you but when you look at the receipt it actually calculates to about 14.5% for the employee discount + Red Card and employee discount + Redcard + prescription reward it is 18.8%. The difference comes from how the discounts are taken off at the register, Employee dicount first, then pharmacy rewards, then Redcard discount. I don't have a problem with it, its still awesome to get any discount, just didn't want you to be shocked when you look at your receipt and it isn't exactly 15% and 20%
Disfamily0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
ladybug0506
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I just wanted to second what the pp said. The discounts do stack. My husband and I waited on our prescription rewards certificate so that we could buy enough gift cards to pay off our Disney vacation. One thing to be aware of though, because we ran into this problem... there is a daily limit on how much you can spend using the red card debit card. Despite many calls to Target, no one was able to tell us how this limit is determined. We found out because we needed enough cards that we had to go to multiple stores to get them. The very last transaction was declined despite the money being in our checking account. Fortunately, this was only for last 5 cards we needed. Still, something to be aware of.
ladybug0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
msammon
Earning My Ears

We anticipated the same problem with our Target Red debit card, so we went and spoke with a manager prior to going to the register. We were told that as long as we had the card, and used it for the amount that was approved, we would be able to extend the discount for our entire purchase and use our regular debit card (or credit card) for the rest.
We stacked our pharmacy discount and our Red card discount and bought enough cards to pay for our entire trip plus spending money!
msammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
dllocals
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfamily0405

My husband works for Target and the prescription rewards do stack. I don't know if it matters to you but when you look at the receipt it actually calculates to about 14.5% for the employee discount + Red Card and employee discount + Redcard + prescription reward it is 18.8%. The difference comes from how the discounts are taken off at the register, Employee dicount first, then pharmacy rewards, then Redcard discount. I don't have a problem with it, its still awesome to get any discount, just didn't want you to be shocked when you look at your receipt and it isn't exactly 15% and 20%
To figure multiple percentage discounts you have to apply each percent one after the other. Example: 10% of $100 is $90. Another 5% is applied to $90. ($90 x 5% = -$4.50) you save $14.50 or 14.5%. Another 5% would then apply to the $85.50 ($85.50 x 5%)
dllocals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

if I have five $10 target gift cards, can I buy one $50 disney card?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
sunflare
Mouseketeer

Yep. Just did it with close to $100 in Target gift cards. Ended up getting $1k in Disney cards for about $820, after everything involved.
sunflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Christen99
Wet behind the ears

I know that you can buy different card demoninations at Target, but the only ones I can find at our local Target stores are the $50 cards at the registers. Are there other denominations in other areas of the store?
Christen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
SGB13
Mouseketeer

My store just has the $50 cards also. At Christmas they had some $25 also, but I have never seen higher dollar values.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I have also only seen $25 and $50... I have three Target stores that I go to and am usually there a few times a week, so I feel confident saying that they never have higher than that here. It's frustrating when you have to have a huge stack of them.

I like vacations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: