Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Nice Surprise! What would you do?

So we leave for our trip in two weeks and MIL surprises us with some extra cash for our trip. Don't feel right posting the exact amount here but lets just say it would be more than enough to do a private fireworks cruise or just about anything else of the type. SO what would you do? The 'sensible' thing and put it towards the cost of the trip? Or spend it on something extra?

The thing is we are two weeks out and going over spring break. I am sure an extra character meal is out of the question. Most likely also too late for BBB or Pirate's League or anything else of that type.

My one thought was to use part of it to buy a really nice souvenir for each of the kids 'from Grandma' and just put the rest to the trip. Thoughts?
RogueLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

If it was me, I would let the kids pick a reasonably price gift and take the family to Beaches and Cream to eat ( or try to) the kitchen sink. Take pictues to show Grandmom. Maybe also pick up a WDW frame, put a nice family picture in it, and give to Grandmom. Anything left, I would use to pay toward my trip expenses. What a wonderful gift.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
yankeesgirl63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
If it was me, I would let the kids pick a reasonably price gift and take the family to Beaches and Cream to eat ( or try to) the kitchen sink. Take pictues to show Grandmom. Maybe also pick up a WDW frame, put a nice family picture in it, and give to Grandmom. Anything left, I would use to pay toward my trip expenses. What a wonderful gift.
I completely agree! Sounds like a good plan (and a great gift!). Have a great trip!

Melissa
yankeesgirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Thanks! Had to go look that one up. I think I have an idea of the perfect time to eat that. Right before we go on Mission: SPACE!

Seriously though, I like ice cream but ice cream with a whole bunch of different things on it? Makes me kind of sick just thinking about it! LOL! Do the toppings at least go together. I mean is it like fruit loops and peanut butter cups and pineapple? The toppings on ice cream have to be 'compatible' IMHO!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

My parents always likes to give us some extra money before we go on our Disney trips to get something special for DS. When we was younger (2 to 3) i usually picked out a nice piece of clothing and a small toy from grandma and grandpa. Now that he's older I let hm know he has money from his grandparents and let him pick out a special gift. We take pictures of him with the gift and when we get home the grandparents alwasy enjoy seeing the gift he got with the money they gave.

So as pp suggested, I think you should use some of the money for each of your children to pick out a special gift from their grandma. Also you abd DH should also get yourself something special...

I know the reasonable thing would be to put most of it towards the trip...but, and I may be worng here, I think you MIL would like to see you use a good portion of that money to do or get someething special from her...something to make your vacation that more magical...as chances are she will get much enjoyment from knowing her gift went to something her entire family truly enjoyed and will remember. Did you ever think of doing a special portrait session with your family at Disney? That might be a wonderful rememberance for everyone.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55 View Post
...Also you and DH should also get yourself something special...
LOL! Just had to point out here that I am a GUY! Not the first time this has happened here either. I am getting the idea that it is mostly the ladies that post here? Or do I I just type like a girl?

No matter, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
Thanks! Had to go look that one up. I think I have an idea of the perfect time to eat that. Right before we go on Mission: SPACE!

Seriously though, I like ice cream but ice cream with a whole bunch of different things on it? Makes me kind of sick just thinking about it! LOL! Do the toppings at least go together. I mean is it like fruit loops and peanut butter cups and pineapple? The toppings on ice cream have to be 'compatible' IMHO!
Haha! I am sure you can ask for whatever or no toppings. Just the whole experience when it's ordered is a lot of fun. Just be sure to go on an off time or right when opening. They do not take reservations. Not sure what ages the kids are.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Mom2Ben02
Our little souvenir from WDW was baby #2! :-)

I would try for the Dessert Party!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
macajack
Earning My Ears

I cannot speak for your MIL of course, but I can share with you that my MIL was a little miffed when I didn't provide her with that classic "everyone stand on Main St with Cinderella's Castle in the background" picture of the whole family.

So, even if it's from your camera and not the PhotoPass version, you may want to make sure you get that shot.
macajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Haha! I am sure you can ask for whatever or no toppings. Just the whole experience when it's ordered is a lot of fun. Just be sure to go on an off time or right when opening. They do not take reservations. Not sure what ages the kids are.
Okay, so I was about to make a comment about ice cream for breakfast. But I see they don't open until 11:00 AM. So I guess it would be ice cream for lunch, not quite as bad, I guess. Actually we used to have a tradition in my family of getting banana splits for lunch on birthdays.

Why do I get the idea that after eating this a bell would ring and everyone would come out chanting "ziggy piggy, ziggy piggy, ziggy piggy!"

LOL!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Ben02 View Post
I would try for the Dessert Party!
THAT is what I wanted!! Just looked and it is available one night. The one night of our ONLY ADR!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by macajack View Post
I cannot speak for your MIL of course, but I can share with you that my MIL was a little miffed when I didn't provide her with that classic "everyone stand on Main St with Cinderella's Castle in the background" picture of the whole family.

So, even if it's from your camera and not the PhotoPass version, you may want to make sure you get that shot.
Just got pp+ so she will definitely be getting a photo.. or two... or ten...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I really like the idea about letting the kids pick out a gift from grandma ( set a dollar amount before hand of course). Let the kids pick a restaurant to take adults -- and kids of course from grandma. Let the kids get, and adults if they wish to be included, have one of the sill-o-ettes done.-- I know I spelled that wrong. It would be a nice gift for you also as you get two one looking one way the other looking the other-- duh. Anyway being a grandma I know I would like if the money I gave would be used similar.

Depending on the age of the children there is a pirate cruise for kids that leaves from GF. There is even the Grand Tea at the GF that is very elegant. You can go in park attire and be right at home.

Do a meal with special seatting for fantasmic. So much fun to be had and so little time.

Oh I know -- get the photo pass with part of the money. That would be another Grandma pleaser. We love nothing more then to see our grandkids having fun --- ok the parents to. . With photo pass you get the pictures that are taken during rides like splash, test track, and such. I know you have to go to the photo place right after the ride and give them your photo pass number and the number of the photo that appears right after the ride. ( pictures appear on a screen along with a number of your log or car -- or elevator incase you do something silly and ride in an elevator that you know is going to lose its brakes and drop you 10 stories. Good thing is you will live -- bad thing is you are going to need weeks to look for your stomach that you lost. Oh well.

Anyhow have fun.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

I'm not sure how old your MIL is, but my kids & Nana love the tradition we started of bringing her the prettiest mug we can find & now she has a whole collection. The kids also picked out a super plush blanket for her. She couldn't go to the castle so we brought a blanket w/ the castle on it to her. She keeps it on her recliner & uses it all the time.

Photos! Grandmas can never have enough photos. Especially castle photos. You can get a nice one w/ the castle in the background on the walkway towards futureland on the castle side. It has a rose garden there. I just can't remember the name of the little place.

Does she have a favorite character? If so, make a sign that says "Hi Grandma," take a photo w/ that character, & get it autographed by that character.

I love the idea of getting a special portrait session done, if you think she'd like you to spend it one something like that.

But if you're really concerned, tell her some of your ideas (not gifts for her) & ask her for her opinion.

Have a great trip!
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mary View Post
I'm not sure how old your MIL is, but my kids & Nana love the tradition we started of bringing her the prettiest mug we can find & now she has a whole collection. The kids also picked out a super plush blanket for her. She couldn't go to the castle so we brought a blanket w/ the castle on it to her. She keeps it on her recliner & uses it all the time.

Photos! Grandmas can never have enough photos. Especially castle photos. You can get a nice one w/ the castle in the background on the walkway towards futureland on the castle side. It has a rose garden there. I just can't remember the name of the little place.

Does she have a favorite character? If so, make a sign that says "Hi Grandma," take a photo w/ that character, & get it autographed by that character.

I love the idea of getting a special portrait session done, if you think she'd like you to spend it one something like that.

But if you're really concerned, tell her some of your ideas (not gifts for her) & ask her for her opinion.

Have a great trip!
Not concerned at all! MIL is great not really that 'old'!

I would love to do the Pirates and Pals cruise or the Fantasmic dinner but alas, I don't see much hope with it being just two weeks away.

Do like lots of these suggestions! Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: