Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #46
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsgrl77 View Post
BUT, if I get a passport...then that would be all I'd need...correct?
If you have a Passport, that covers you for both photo identification and citizenship.

FWIW...I've never been asked to show a marriage license when traveling with a BC, nor did I have to show it to get a Passport. I suppose there could be a grumpy Customs Agent who feels need to hassle someone once in a while, but I've never carried a copy of my marriage license and never needed it.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #47
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
If you have a Passport, that covers you for both photo identification and citizenship.

FWIW...I've never been asked to show a marriage license when traveling with a BC, nor did I have to show it to get a Passport. I suppose there could be a grumpy Customs Agent who feels need to hassle someone once in a while, but I've never carried a copy of my marriage license and never needed it.
I did not need my marriage license when traveling out of the country several years ago with a BC, however I DID have to mail my marriage license in with all other documents to obtain my passport.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #48
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I did not need my marriage license when traveling out of the country several years ago with a BC, however I DID have to mail my marriage license in with all other documents to obtain my passport.
Wow, I first got a passport just 4 years ago and I'm fairly certain that I never had to provide a copy of my marriage license or even show it. I know we do not have a 2nd copy of our marriage license and would have that if I'd needed to send it in with the passport application. We applied at the local post office, my husband and child too at the same time. Obviously my drivers license and passport application were in my married name and not the same as my birth certificate, but it must not have been an issue. I know if you have a passport previously issued in your maiden name you must provide a marriage license to change it.

I guess it never hurts to be prepared, I just don't carry copies of documents that aren't necessary. I see it as one more item of personal information begging to get lost and potentially feeding into identify theft; so I don't carry a copy of the marriage license "just in case." Others may choose to do so for their own piece of mind.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #49
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post
*sigh*. I wish the US government would just remove the "closed loop cruise" exception of the passport rule so that we wouldn't continually debate the topic here. :yes:
Some people with large families can't afford the extra cash for passports, don't debate it if you don't want to0.... I'm sure these people that originally started the thread were wanting people that have recently cruised using their BC"s opinion.
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #50
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Wow, I first got a passport just 4 years ago and I'm fairly certain that I never had to provide a copy of my marriage license or even show it. I know we do not have a 2nd copy of our marriage license and would have that if I'd needed to send it in with the passport application. We applied at the local post office, my husband and child too at the same time. Obviously my drivers license and passport application were in my married name and not the same as my birth certificate, but it must not have been an issue. I know if you have a passport previously issued in your maiden name you must provide a marriage license to change it.

I guess it never hurts to be prepared, I just don't carry copies of documents that aren't necessary. I see it as one more item of personal information begging to get lost and potentially feeding into identify theft; so I don't carry a copy of the marriage license "just in case." Others may choose to do so for their own piece of mind.
My marriage license was a requirement when I traveled out of the country several years ago along with my BC. I got my passport for the first time last year and was told that I needed my marriage license. I didn't see on the website that it was a requirement but was told that having it would speed the process. Several DISers have been told by DCL to bring their marriage license if their driver's license do not match their BC. They may never check them but since they are telling some cruisers to bring them then it certainly wouldn't hurt.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
Some people with large families can't afford the extra cash for passports, don't debate it if you don't want to0.... I'm sure these people that originally started the thread were wanting people that have recently cruised using their BC"s opinion.
Pull your claws back in. This topic is debated DAILY and has been answered ad nauseum.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #52
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post
*sigh*. I wish the US government would just remove the "closed loop cruise" exception of the passport rule so that we wouldn't continually debate the topic here. :yes:
That's hardly a reason to change a law, simply so it isn't debated anymore on a cruise forum.

However, I do have some agreement with you in that it has created major confusion. The reason we have passports is because of the original you need one to cruise edict of several years ago. Then that was rescinded. But they kept promising that it would come. Now it seems like the cruise ship exception is here to stay.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
reimero
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that pre-9/11, all you needed for most North America border crossings was a driver's license or state ID. After that, the US tightened border controls and implemented the proof of citizenship requirements. They were originally going to require passports for all cruises, but the cruise industry argued that requiring passports for closed-loop cruises would hurt business, so the government went with the lesser standard.

Nowadays, though, cruise lines tend to suggest strongly that passports are preferred, if not required. I suspect one of the main reasons this isn't being revisited is that Congress has a few hundred other things that are somewhat more important on their plates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: