Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
And if they Immigration officer upon return decides to "play by the rules" you can stand there and SCREAM about what DCL told you. He will shrug, they don't hire those folks to be loving and caring

I see this same kind of RANT when someone flies someplace without a visa and the receiving country won't let them in, it becomes the "airline's fault"

There's always someone to blame. But will that really help besides giving you someone to rant and rave about? You will still be stuck dealing with immigration.
Do you not understand what I am saying? If there were issues, DCL would know about it because the screaming would be heard upstairs. If the photocopied birth certificate was an issue, they would have changed the information they are providing to their guests.
luvdisney24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
txsgrl77
Earning My Ears

question

Someone touched on this in an earlier post...I'd not heard this, though. If you're married...your ID and a birth cert. aren't enough...you also have to have a marriage license? I'd always thought, as the site says, ID and BC were the required documents
txsgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsgrl77 View Post
Someone touched on this in an earlier post...I'd not heard this, though. If you're married...your ID and a birth cert. aren't enough...you also have to have a marriage license? I'd always thought, as the site says, ID and BC were the required documents
Yes you will need your marriage license also, because your last name on your drivers license will be different from your BC, we are going on a cruise in June and I called Disney and that's what they told me
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney24 View Post
I don't have to worry about any of it because I carry a valid passport. BUT what I am saying, if DCL is telling you that you can have a photocopy, they have to bare some responsibility for that statement. If people are showing up with photocopies, and it's not allow, you can bet DCL would be hearing about it and they would have changed their information by now to say the correct thing.
But what can they do? Say sorry? Say they meant 'official' copies of birth certificates issued by the states or counties, not just a folded up copy your mother gave you and that they thought everyone knew that?

What if the rules change suddenly, like the USCIS issues an order that copies will no longer be accepted after April 1, and you sail April 2, but your booklet of instructions was mailed before the order was issued? DCL can say 'sorry' all day long, but they can't let you on the cruise. I just don't think it is worth the hassle to test whether a very unofficial photocopy of a BC is enough. I don't want to argue with USCIS officers or even DCL officers.

The new rules on Princess seemed to have been issued very quietly. Maybe if I were a Princess ticket holder they would have notified me personally, but with how much lead time?

A friend's husband died on 9/11. She needed to travel internationally with her minor children just after that, and that year was when a lot of the rules for traveling with children w/o their parents changed, and when the rules for getting a passport for a child changed to require that both parents consent to the passport. She did NOT want to have a conversation with the agents at the airline that she had no note from her husband to allow the international travel because her husband had just died! She made sure she had all the documents they could possibily need, in order, for anyone who wanted to see them: passports, birth certificates, adoption certificates, death certificates. She just didn't want to explain it any more.
Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #35
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsgrl77 View Post
If you are not traveling with a passport and are married, then I would bring my marriage certificate showing the name change. They may not ask for it but it is best to be prepared. I would also have a certified copy of my birth certificate and not just a photo copy.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't go entirely by what DCL says, since they actually have no say in the matter. The definitive answer is here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...%20passport%3F

At the end of the day, when it comes to questions of passports and such, the government is the authoritative source. Cruise lines can give some guidance, but the final word is the government's.
This! While DCL does provide the guideline as another PP posted earlier, they also state this:
"The following guidelines are based on U.S. government regulations, which are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check with your travel agent, government agency, embassy or consulate to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on the ship's itinerary. If you're visiting any country other than the U.S., remember to contact the consulate of that country to ensure you have the documentation required to visit. Travelers can visit the U.S. State Department's website at http://travel.state.gov. Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding."

So ultimately, they are saying it's up to you to know the laws regardless of what their website/paperwork indicates. If the Customs and Immigration agents don't like your paperwork, they can make life miserable...regardless of what DCL said would be acceptable.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
reimero
DIS Veteran

If I can just follow up on that...

There are two relevant government agencies in question. The US State Department (travel.state.gov) is the agency that issues passports and travel advisories. They operate the various embassies and consulates.

Customs and Border Patrol (cbp.gov) is under the umbrella of Homeland Security, and are responsible for actual border protection. They also collect duties on goods, but I'm unclear on their relationship with the IRS for collecting excise taxes. I think they do collect on the IRS's behalf, but I couldn't swear to it.

So, if you want to know what travel documentation you'll need to get back into the US, Customs and Border Patrol is the authoritative source. If you want to know what to do in order to get a passport, the State Department is the authoritative source.

Edit: CBP has been changing their website around making it very difficult to find some critical stuff. For now, though, this is the most comprehensive resource for listing EXACTLY what you need to know:
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...egulations.pdf
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #38
Msmit002
Family Concierge

*sigh*. I wish the US government would just remove the "closed loop cruise" exception of the passport rule so that we wouldn't continually debate the topic here. :yes:
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #39
misslizzy1973
Mouseketeer

I am paranoid about my 7 year olds birth certificate. It has the raised seal on it but I just worry that for some reason it won't be good enough and have even thought about paying $40 for ANOTHER certificate. I would rather not but $40 is nothing compared to the money we will lose if we cant get on the ship. Is there anywhere to verify you have an official certificate?
misslizzy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslizzy1973 View Post
I am paranoid about my 7 year olds birth certificate. It has the raised seal on it but I just worry that for some reason it won't be good enough and have even thought about paying $40 for ANOTHER certificate. I would rather not but $40 is nothing compared to the money we will lose if we cant get on the ship. Is there anywhere to verify you have an official certificate?
If you are feeling paranoid, just spring for the passport. We went back and forth with our 5 and 7 year olds before our first cruise. In the end, we decided it offered us peace of mind to get them the passports. It also gives us incentive to do more international travel before they expire .

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #41
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
If you're that worried then just get a passport. It will be good for 5 years for him and it WILL be accepted. It will also ease your passage back to the US if there should be an emergency. You need a passport to fly back to the US. Birth certificates are good for land or sea travel.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
misslizzy1973
Mouseketeer

I would get her a passport in a heartbeat but I am divorced and would have to get together with the ex to get her one. Not really something I would look forward to. Plus is he already not too happy that she is missing 6 days of school for the cruise even though the teacher gave her blessing....
misslizzy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #43
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Bring it to your local post-office or passport office and ask if it's official enough to get a passport. There's never going to be an absolute guarantee that the Customs Agent looking at it at port won't have a question, but if the Passport office indicates it would work for them then it should be good.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
txsgrl77
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
Yes you will need your marriage license also, because your last name on your drivers license will be different from your BC, we are going on a cruise in June and I called Disney and that's what they told me
BUT, if I get a passport...then that would be all I'd need...correct?
txsgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #45
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post
*sigh*. I wish the US government would just remove the "closed loop cruise" exception of the passport rule so that we wouldn't continually debate the topic here. :yes:

Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: